Pandemic preparation? ?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1508 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On a lighter note ...

[MEDIA=twitter]1245880011455967235[/MEDIA]

:D

If the federal gov't sent every American a package containing a dildo and/or fleshlight, lube, and a self-massager, I bet way more people would be willing to shelter-in-place through the end of summer.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The N95 masks are uncomfortable as hell, especially the ones without a plastic exhale valve. Little air comes through to breathe or exhale. The cloth masks or plain surgical masks of all types are probably a lot more comfortable to use even if not as effective against airborne virus, which is a thing. They would certainly stop you exhaling droplets in a cough or sneeze so they are a courtesy to others. Even if they were to only filter out half of airborne virus, that's a big deal and you're more likely to wear them.

Also bicycle masks are sort of Max Maxy looking and are charcoal filtered.

There you have it - the day we all knew was coming has arrived. New Yorkers are being asked to cover their mouth and nose while outside. Despite the discomfort I will now start wearing my N95 mask. ?

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/health-and-medicine/coronavirus-blog

If people are this desperate now, what happens when unemployment reaches 20-30%? What happens if unemployment stays that high for 6 months or a year or longer?

Exactly so. This is another consequence of our distorted economy. Endless focus on short-term results coupled with excessive efficiency creates a system highly vulnerable to unplanned disruptions. Further, extreme inequality significantly reduces the velocity of money and creates economic fragility and precarity that makes the entire system vulnerable to collapse when shocked. This is part of why the USA, with our economy configured extremely in "crisis capitalistic" and "crony capitalistic" themes, tends toward the kinds of bad and good extremes we've seen over the last forty years.

How has Australia done with Covid-19 so far? Usually coronaviruses don't do so well in warm weather, though I guess Fall is starting to fall upon the land down under...

How has Australia done with Covid-19 so far? Usually coronaviruses don't do so well in warm weather, though I guess Fall is starting to fall upon the land down under...

So far, not too bad. I've been posting a bit in the 'other counrties' thread in the Politics Forum. We are currently at 54 deaths (three today) and just over 6,000 cases in total. New cases have dropped below 100 per day nationally for the first time since 16 March. A significant reason for the drop is we closed the borders (except for returning Australians) on 19 March so we have almost eliminated imported cases. The imminent arrival of winter is a great concern. New Zealand had its second death today, from 1200-odd cases.

Lockdown measures have been extensive, and widely accepted with some initial reluctance at being told what to do. The intensity of enforcement has varied from state to state (cities and localities have no say, regulation is at state and territory level, not lower) but essentially the message is stay at home unless what you are doing is essential. Work, shopping and exercise are deemed essential, restaurants and cafes are open only for takeaway and delivery (some are using their providores to source supplies for customers), but pubs, clubs and bars are closed, church services are closed (or streamed on line) and most small non-food retailers have closed down. Gatherings, both outside and in private homes, are limited to two people apart from household members (with fines for non-compliance). Travel is severely restricted with some states having mandatory self-quarantine for people arriving from interstate. This has been reinforced for Easter. The Northern Territory Chief Minister's advice for Easter was stay at home and eat chocolate.

Unemployment payments have been doubled (it's a social security payment not insurance, it's not limited to people who were employed beforehand) and when the day after that was announced and employers knew they weren't throwing people into poverty if they laid them off and did so, long lines at claims offices led the government to rethink. Within days they announced payments of $750/week for each employee, to businesses and non-profits that had lost a significant proportion of their business. They are entitled to the payment whether they keep the employees working or stand them down, as long as they keep them on their books ready to work when this is over. The employer has to pay the worker before they receive the money through the tax office. The latest measure is making childcare and early childhood education free to parents. All of these are essentially survival payments aimed at keeping services operating and money flowing in the economy. There are gaps in the coverage but it seems to be an appropriate response, and helps make it possible for people to stay at home.

The beauty of capitalism is that the market can usually adjust to new circumstances where a central command and control economy often fails. Here is a great example of a local Kansas City company adjusting:

https://fox4kc.com/news/olathe-distillery-hires-laid-off-workers-stops-liquor-production-to-make-disinfectant/

(Note: they are donating product to local hospitals)

The beauty of capitalism is that the market can usually adjust to new circumstances where a central command and control economy often fails. Here is a great example of a local Kansas City company adjusting:

https://fox4kc.com/news/olathe-distillery-hires-laid-off-workers-stops-liquor-production-to-make-disinfectant/

A distillery here in Phoenix has been making hand sanitizer for local hospitals, medical facilities, and first responders. Also, Ortho Mattress (whose manufacturing facility is in Phoenix) is now producing non-medical masks for the general public so we don't buy up the medical masks. they are giving them away for free to seniors.

...Within days they announced payments of $750/week for each employee, to businesses and non-profits that had lost a significant proportion of their business...

Over A$3000 per month sounds pretty sweet. Nothing like that in this country (I realize that comes out to about $2000/mo US, which is about what social security pays most people per month).

I bought art (by FaceTime) from a famous artist the other day. He also owns a distillery. He turned on a dime to repurpose his distillery to produce hand sanitizer for first responders. The downside, because of his process, it smells like molasses....I asked it I could get a gallon with my painting.

Edited by BnaC

I bought art (by FaceTime) from a famous artist the other day. He also owns a distillery. He turned on a dime to repurpose his distillery to produce hand sanitizer for first responders. The downside, because of his process, it smells like molasses....I asked it I could get a gallon with my painting.

Considering some of the scents they use in commercial hand sanitizer, molasses would be an improvement.

Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

I need to practice social-distancing ----- from the refrigerator.

Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom

Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?

Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.

Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.

Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

I need to practice social-distancing ----- from the refrigerator.

Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom

Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?

Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.

Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.

I’ve lost 7 lbs with no effort since I’ve lost access to the office candy dish and I’ve chosen to not drink alcohol while quarantined since it’s inflammatory too. Now maybe I should ramp up my exercise...

Edited by BnaC

I’ve lost 7 lbs with no effort since I’ve lost access to the office candy dish and I’ve chosen to not drink alcohol while quarantined since it’s inflammatory too. Now maybe I should ramp up my exercise...

To my surprise, I have lost 2 lbs since I stated eating all meals at home.

So that's where those pounds I found came from :D:p Hopefully I'll be able to return them soon ;)