Pandemic preparation? ?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1508 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two hour wait at Costco just to enter. Limited number of people inside, obviously. Somebody told me as I was walking up and I turned around.

I'm going to Vons every day the next few days at different times to see when is the best time to go.

I went at 10am today minimal to average amount of shoppers per pre-panic days, but workers were just starting to stock some of the items that were out.

Going to try Target before closing later to see how that store fares at the end of the day...I need conditioner and TP!

The 55+ community in which I live has all of the indoor amenities--tv lounge, meeting rooms, game room, library, gym, etc-- quartered in the common building, which is now closed to anyone but staff. However, the outdoor amenities--pools, tennis courts, etc.--are still open to residents. My brother-in-law, however, lives in a huge Del Webb Sun City community, where everything is off limits, even the golf course.

My building has a small work out area and my building is leaving it open for now for our residents. It doesn't get used much because it's small and the equipment is older and our residents that exercise all have gym memberships but seeing all the gyms are ordered closed it is getting quite a bit of use lately. We have a bottle of disenfecting spray and asking residents to spray down the machines before and after they use the machines. Our building is condos and I heard a building down the street that is all rentals closed their fitness center off. I'm hoping the fitness center can stay open and well be able to use our rooftop deck.

We only had the building cleaned once a week but now are having it cleaned three times a week and our cleaning guy appreciates the extra work since he does a lot of offices and they suspended his service with their offices closed. I'm on the condo board and the other people on the board and myself are taking turns cleaning the elevator and wiping down the stairwell railings and all common area doors on the day our cleaning guy doesn't come in.

Our units are either occupied by the owners or by renters who are required to have a one year lease and be approved by the condo board and an individual can only own one unit in our building and we are requiring any new owners to live in their units and not allowing them to be used for investment purposes so no idea if the renters will ask for a discount if we closed the deck or workout areas. If anything the condo dues will go up due to the additional cleaning expenses.

I never did understand these - i thought that the rooster symbolized good luck and prosperity in the Zodiac. Or am I mixing up cultures?? o_O

Yes you are correct. However, the Maneki Neko is from Japan and believed to originate at Gotokuji temple whereas the Rooster's symbolism can be found all over Eurasia. The quick background is that a Feudal lord passing the temple saw a white cat that was waving its paw at him(beckoning him) so he followed the cat. As soon as he entered the temple a giant Thunder storm appeared and avoided getting wet or being stuck by lightening so he reconstructed the temple and they worshipped the Maneki Neko or Beckoning Cat. Now the Maneki Neko has many different colors to determine their purpose. The Calico/ tri-color: most traditional meant to attract good luck, wealth, and posperity. The White is purity and happiness. The Black wards off evil and negative energies. The Golden wealth, money, and materialistic benefits. There are more colors but usually these are the most common and they do have ones with both paws up.

The Rooster in most of Eurasia is a lucky symbol that dispels evil due to its link with the sun. In Ancient China it was thought to be divine and able to fight ghosts because ghosts hate light and their crowing was thought to be able to summon the sun. The word for rooster in Chinese sounds similar to the word for luck in Chinese and thought to bring luck. It also symbolizes prosperity because of how fast chickens reproduce so in many countries was used during marriage customs and ceremonies.

I'm going to Vons every day the next few days at different times to see when is the best time to go.

I went at 10am today minimal to average amount of shoppers per pre-panic days, but workers were just starting to stock some of the items that were out.

Going to try Target before closing later to see how that store fares at the end of the day...I need conditioner and TP!

I just smacked my head 2 minutes ago because I cant believe I didnt think about it for myself. Have you looked to see if Vons, Freshdirect, or other supermarket sites delivers to your area? It may be faster and easier than getting up and waiting to be the first one in the store. If TP is a issue you may want to invest in a Japanese toilet seat. OMG it is so amazing having heated toilet seats and it has a bidet making clean up every easy. Some even have colored lights.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d1f9a090479e0b230f538d8b6a0ac5ccd2d6cb15&rid=giphy.gif

I just smacked my head 2 minutes ago because I cant believe I didnt think about it for myself. Have you looked to see if Vons, Freshdirect, or other supermarket sites delivers to your area? It may be faster and easier than getting up and waiting to be the first one in the store. If TP is a issue you may want to invest in a Japanese toilet seat. OMG it is so amazing having heated toilet seats and it has a bidet making clean up every easy. Some even have colored lights.

I have enough TP for a week after stealing from the hotels...it's more for the daily walk or jog, and after grocery shopping to look for a few stray items here and there.

Also part of the TP panic is needing a sense of control on a subconscious psychological level...my level of control is doing as much for myself as much as possible.

Have you looked to see if Vons, Freshdirect, or other supermarket sites delivers to your area?

I’ve been using Whole Foods delivery on occasion for the last couple months, I like it a lot. When the pandemic first hit, they were still pretty reliable. But the last couple days they don’t show delivery windows for the next 2 to 3 days. Sometimes, if you check back later online delivery window will pop up for later that same day, or sometimes for a couple days away.

Similar delivery timing windows with Instacart.

That said, both have filled some holes in my shopping and pantry

I’ve been using Whole Foods delivery on occasion for the last couple months, I like it a lot. When the pandemic first hit, they were still pretty reliable. But the last couple days they don’t show delivery windows for the next 2 to 3 days. Sometimes, if you check back later online delivery window will pop up for later that same day, or sometimes for a couple days away.

Similar delivery timing windows with Instacart.

That said, both have filled some holes in my shopping and pantry

I wish I had thought about it weeks ago but since I have never done it besides shopping on Amazon it never occurred to me. It makes sense the way people are stripping supermarkets and general stores of everything that the warehouses have not been able to keep up with demand.

I wish I had thought about it weeks ago but since I have never done it besides shopping on Amazon it never occurred to me. It makes sense the way people are stripping supermarkets and general stores of everything that the warehouses have not been able to keep up with demand.

I was sitting on my butt about 8 weeks ago and wanted some quality chicken breasts. I don’t remember how I stumbled from Amazon regular site to Whole Foods...but it’s been magic ever since...until pandemic issues.

I was sitting on my butt about 8 weeks ago and wanted some quality chicken breasts. I don’t remember how I stumbled from Amazon regular site to Whole Foods...but it’s been magic ever since...until pandemic issues.

You must have accidentally hit the link in Amazon to the Whole Foods Market. Why did you have to say quality? ? ? ? ? Oh man you have awakened my food cravings beast. Now I have a craving to try Jidori chicken meat and Silkie Chicken meat. You may have doomed me for the next couple of years:eek::eek::eek: lol.

I have a toto washlet. i've had it for about 10 years, love it.

I found out I can work from home but didn't find out until 4:45 p.m. when I tried logging in on the browser like I normally do that our remote security was increased since a lot more people will be working from home and the company we use for IT services closes at 5:( I'm praying they won't be forced to shut down monday or wll be working from home and will access my laptop remotely. I'm sure IT companies will be exempt since everyone is working from home.

Outside of going the office for a while a few days a week (my job requires my physical presence for things like cutting checks and doing bank deposits) and maybe getting a take out meal once or twice a week I'm self quarantining except for one grocery trip a week on Saturday to the farmers market and for groceries and to avoid all megastores.

I was surprised at how dead the farmers market was and also the smaller regional grocery store I went to was but Walmart and Meijers parking lots were both packed when I drove by there. Not sure why people are insiting on going to Walmart when the store I went to had things in stock people are complaining they can't find like ground beef and onions. They even had TP and paper towels. This store was also encouraging people to stay six feet apart in the check out line and had signs up at the check out queue and throughout the store to remain six feet from customers.

I don't understand why people are going to places like WMT instead of helping to support smaller locally ran stores when the profits stay here. I'd rather spend an extra $10 on groceries than wait in those lines at Walmart and be more exposed. My health and time are worth a lot more than savings.

Something that pissed me off were seeing families out. I saw a couple families out with small kids at the store and farmer's market. One of the parents should be out shopping and the other home with their kids to stop the exposure both to the kids and the exposure from the kids to the adults.

My trainer will be wrong from his garage in the meantime. I can do my workouts at home. I just need to but a 53 lb kettle bell.

Smart of your trainer to do. There's a trainer that lives in my building who trains in a small gym a few blocks away and uses it only for private training. I should see if he would be willing to work out with me there since it's not open to the public or the work out room in our building.

For those who are unaware of her, Nigella Lawson is a British food writer and television presenter, with part of her shtick being glamour, both of the presentation of the food (and sets) and of herself. Nice twist in the hashtag here.

[MEDIA=twitter]1241472720463945730[/MEDIA]

Edited by mike carey

My trainer will be wrong from his garage in the meantime. I can do my workouts at home. I just need to but a 53 lb kettle bell.

My coach has a nice little gym in his garage. I trained with him on Thurs. My husband understands how important sessions with my guy are and pushed me to go.

For those who are unaware of her, Nigella Lawson is a British food writer and television presenter, with part of her schtick being glamour, both of the presentation of the food (and sets) and of herself. Nice twist in the hashtag here.

[MEDIA=twitter]1241472720463945730[/MEDIA]

she used to be on our NPR stations; I really enjoyed her sense of humor!

though the coronavirus is not classic influenza, a look at the story of the mis-named "Spanish" Influenza pandemic of 1918 is fascinating.....for those with access to the full episodes from PBS, the American Experience 's 1999 production of Influenza 1918 is excellent......here's a ten-minute "preview" of it which I previously posted, now buried, in a thread in the depths of Politics.....

I had a little bird, its name was Enza, I opened the window and in flew Enza

Edited by azdr0710

My adventure in retail land for Sunday 22 March, just after lunch time.

1. At the office supplies warehouse (buying a new shredder, stay at home and go through all my paperwork) and in the checkout queue they have tape labelled 'For your health and safety maintain personal distances' on the floor 1.5m apart (maybe a bit more) and people were taking the distancing guidance they convey.

2. Local suburban shopping centre outlet of one of our big supermarket chains, not crowded but not quiet. Some shelves empty but mostly fine. Signs on shelves for items that are limited purchase. Rice and pasta almost bare shelves and not much variety, but at the end of the produce area there were two pallets stacked high with some varieties of pasta and a pallet of 5kg bags of rice. I didn't even check the TP aisle (I planned to but only remembered when I was on my way home).

I found out I can work from home but didn't find out until 4:45 p.m. when I tried logging in on the browser like I normally do that our remote security was increased since a lot more people will be working from home and the company we use for IT services closes at 5:( I'm praying they won't be forced to shut down monday or wll be working from home and will access my laptop remotely. I'm sure IT companies will be exempt since everyone is working from home.

Outside of going the office for a while a few days a week (my job requires my physical presence for things like cutting checks and doing bank deposits) and maybe getting a take out meal once or twice a week I'm self quarantining except for one grocery trip a week on Saturday to the farmers market and for groceries and to avoid all megastores.

I was surprised at how dead the farmers market was and also the smaller regional grocery store I went to was but Walmart and Meijers parking lots were both packed when I drove by there. Not sure why people are insiting on going to Walmart when the store I went to had things in stock people are complaining they can't find like ground beef and onions. They even had TP and paper towels. This store was also encouraging people to stay six feet apart in the check out line and had signs up at the check out queue and throughout the store to remain six feet from customers.

I don't understand why people are going to places like WMT instead of helping to support smaller locally ran stores when the profits stay here. I'd rather spend an extra $10 on groceries than wait in those lines at Walmart and be more exposed. My health and time are worth a lot more than savings.

Something that pissed me off were seeing families out. I saw a couple families out with small kids at the store and farmer's market. One of the parents should be out shopping and the other home with their kids to stop the exposure both to the kids and the exposure from the kids to the adults.

I’ve been patronizing a local hipster grocery store for the same reasons. They carry great local meats and produce, cold pressed juices and all sorts of vitamins. It’s a very well curated selection. They also have toilet paper and all kinds of liquid and bar soaps. The people who shop and work there are great and not the Hoarders. The big box stores I avoid at all costs. I don’t want to witness the dark side of people.

I’ve been patronizing a local hipster grocery store for the same reasons. They carry great local meats and produce, cold pressed juices and all sorts of vitamins. It’s a very well curated selection. They also have toilet paper and all kinds of liquid and bar soaps. The people who shop and work there are great and not the Hoarders. The big box stores I avoid at all costs. I don’t want to witness the dark side of people.

With the mad rush on toilet paper, I have to think there are people who are storing a 2-year supply (at least) in their basement/garage/spare bedroom. Don't they feel an eensy bit silly hoarding that much TP?