Pandemic preparation? ?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1508 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m glad I bought my surgical masks and gloves at the first mention of corona virus. I’ve not used them yet, but I have plenty in case.

Surgical masks do nothing against Covid-19

1. Regular surgical masks do nothing against viruses... the virus is much smaller than the pores on a mask
  2. Specialty masks are in short supply... health care organizations are challenged by the unnecessary demand
  3. A qualified mask might be recommended for someone whose ill, but not as prevention for a healthy person.
  4. If we could observe the behaviors of people resorting to masks - even the right masks - many wear them incorrectly anyway. Plus, we'd see them rubbing their eye, touching their nose or lips around/under the mask or during quick displacements.

Although I'm not a fan of this source, its actually a pretty good summary on masks: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/clarissajanlim/coronavirus-questions-masks-hand-sanitizers

Edited by LaffingBear

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please include citations of the sources you are using. Where did you find the 6%? According to the CDC in 2016/17 season an estimates 29 million people contractes the flu but only an estimated 38,000 died so a death rate of 0.2%. (I rounded up) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

An estimated 1% of those that contract Coronavirus will die. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

So my math tells me Corona is more serious than seasonal flu. ?

Regardless of political affiliation (something that I couldn't care less about), the estimated numbers are what they are.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knows the actual numerator in this equation; Many people are likely infected that are not known to be infected.

1. Regular surgical masks do nothing against viruses... the virus is much smaller than the pores on a mask
  2. Specialty masks are in short supply... health care organizations are challenged by the unnecessary demand
  3. A qualified mask might be recommended for someone whose ill, but not as prevention for a healthy person.
  4. If we could observe the behaviors of people resorting to masks - even the right masks - many wear them incorrectly anyway. Plus, we'd see them rubbing their eye, touching their nose or lips around/under the mask or during quick displacements.

Although I'm not a fan of this source, its actually a pretty good summary on masks: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/clarissajanlim/coronavirus-questions-masks-hand-sanitizers

The N 95 masks are necessary but sold out in all Home Depots. The ones with an exhale valve are better. there are plenty on eBay at a wide range of prices. I got a 3-pack of the HDX Home Depot brand with valves for $28 shipped. The 3M brand with valve is about $15 each shipped. The humor is that plenty of sellers are shipping from China.

Dollar Tree has loads of Purell bottles, anti-bacteria handsoap, antiseptic wipes etc. Home Depot has gallons of Odo-Ban anti-septic spray for $10.

Assuming the lady that died today had a incubation period of 3 weeks I assume 1000 in a couple days multiplying fast and all supplies gone in a week tops.

What we have here is a Pandemic of Fear. The Covid-19 virus is definitely serious and will spread around the globe. The infection rate and death toll will be widespread. Unfortunately, it is difficult to asses the truth about risk levels because of media sensationalism and governments that have not been honest and forthcoming since this epidemic began in late 2019.

Individuals need to inform themselves about the true facts of this outbreak from multiple sources and not rely solely on cable news and Twitter. The CDC and World Health Organization have been the primary sources I’ve used to learn about Covid-19 and determine my personal response.

I am not buying into the Pandemic of Fear. Buying surgical masks and N-95 respiratory masks will not prevent anyone from contracting Covid-19. For every N-95 mask purchased by individuals thinking this will prevent them from contacting the virus means that there will be fewer masks available to those who have greater need for them - healthcare providers and patients actually infected. This will create shortages of necessary medical supplies and make the situation worse.

I have replenished food staples and other necessities but I’m not making any special efforts. From the CDC and conversations with people who I know in the medical field I’m approaching Covid-19 like it’s the flu and taking necessary precautions Including frequent hand washing and using sanitizers. I’m keeping informed of latest developments but the one thing I will not do is cave into the Pandemic of Fear.

Edited by ArVaGuy

You're absolutely right...I used the term "surgical masks" generically. I did buy N-95's. I also have normal surgical masks. For me, while less effective, their presence would remind me not to do the 4th bullet point and/or make me more conscious of how/when I do it.

What we have here is a Pandemic of Fear. The Covid-19 virus is definitely serious and will spread around the globe. The infection rate and death toll will be widespread. Unfortunately, it is difficult to asses the truth about risk levels because of media sensationalism and governments that have not been honest and forthcoming since this epidemic began in late 2019.

Individuals need to inform themselves about the true facts of this outbreak from multiple sources and not rely solely on cable news and Twitter. The CDC and World Health Organization have been the primary sources I’ve used to learn about Covid-19 and determine my personal response.

I am not buying into the Pandemic of Fear. Buying surgical masks and N-95 respiratory masks will not prevent anyone from contracting Covid-19. For every N-95 mask purchased by individuals thinking this will prevent them from contacting the virus means that there will be fewer masks available to those who have greater need for them - healthcare providers and patients actually infected. This will create shortages of necessary medical supplies and make the situation worse.

I have replenished food staples and other necessities but I’m not making any special efforts. From the CDC and conversations with people who I know in the medical field I’m approaching Covid-19 like it’s the flu and taking necessary precautions Including frequent hand washing and using sanitizers. I’m keeping informed of latest developments but the one thing I will not do is cave into the Pandemic of Fear.

I've added this to my daily reading list, they usually have one post a weekday, a non dramatic summary of recent developments:

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu

Since I usually have a few months of food on hand, I haven't changed my buying habits at all.

I already had a supply of N95 masks on hand, due to an ongoing DIY project. One thing I will say about them, if it isn't slightly uncomfortable, it's not being effective, you are likely breathing around it, which is kinda pointless.

I already had a supply of N95 masks on hand, due to an ongoing DIY project. One thing I will say about them, if it isn't slightly uncomfortable, it's not being effective, you are likely breathing around it, which is kinda pointless.

From what I've read, the point of masks (not that the wearers share this view) is that they stop droplet transmission from infected individuals, not that they protect the wearers from the virus.

From what I've read, the point of masks (not that the wearers share this view) is that they stop droplet transmission from infected individuals, not that they protect the wearers from the virus.

I'm not planning on wearing one the next time I go to the strip club. ;)

But my understanding currently is that one of the unknowns about COVID-19 is effectiveness of transmission. In other words, there is a spectrum of infectiousness and there is a question if COVID-19 unusually infectious via air, more like measles?

Fortunately, i don't expect to be in a situation where I have to wonder about possible exposure. Conferences are being cancelled and it seems likely most of the events I would normally attend are going to be cancelled, or be conducted remotely.

Guest LeonTrotsky

Ok going to the liquor and grocery stores.

If I am going to die from Coronavirus I am going to die drunk, well-fed and reading the Decameron.

Guest LeonTrotsky
I need to introduce you to the Iron Druid Chronicles - way more entertaining (caveat: must love dogs). ;)

Ahhh, but nothing says good reading like 14th century bawdry tales written during the Black Death.

Guest LeonTrotsky

But actually I'm taking this coronavirus *very* seriously, as we all should be, so this post is not to make light of what is a really scary unfolding situation. But with that said, I am a terrible "prepper". My organized day of "prepping" yesterday has resulted in:

1) a two month supply of green tea ice cream

2) 24 limes

3) 4 tubes of toothpaste

4) 12 bars of soap

5) 4 spools of dental floss

6) a giant bottle of tequila

7) 10 lbs (yes, you read that right) of lentils

and

8) a huge sack of thai jasmine rice

But actually I'm taking this coronavirus *very* seriously, as we all should be, so this post is not to make light of what is a really scary unfolding situation. But with that said, I am a terrible "prepper". My organized day of "prepping" yesterday has resulted in:

1) a two month supply of green tea ice cream

2) 24 limes

3) 4 tubes of toothpaste

4) 12 bars of soap

5) 4 spools of dental floss

6) a giant bottle of tequila

7) 10 lbs (yes, you read that right) of lentils

and

8) a huge sack of thai jasmine rice

I don’t think you have enough tequila.

Hmm, I should have stocked up on Twinkies. They keep for like forever, and in case doomsday hits, I'm guessing Twinkies are prime bargaining material.

Do they still keep forever? I know they used to. But I've had stale ones before. And didn't they change the recipe at one point?

Gman

Do they still keep forever? I know they used to. But I've had stale ones before. And didn't they change the recipe at one point?

Gman

But...they still taste good when they’re stale! I’m probably in a very small group that likes stale marshmallow Peeps post Easter, I look for them ??

The thing about disaster planning - stocking up in particular - is that it is a no-lose proposition. If an emergency, well, emerges, you’re better off. If not, you have what you need for a little longer.

If no pandemic happens here I have hand sanitizer and disinfectants for life.

Edited by tassojunior

I went to Smart and Final yesterday. The bleach section was almost sold out.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if bleach is one of the products we’ve outsourced to China? It would be instructive to have a list of products that could have diminished availability b/c of Chinese production.

I went to Smart and Final yesterday. The bleach section was almost sold out.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if bleach is one of the products we’ve outsourced to China? It would be instructive to have a list of products that could have diminished availability b/c of Chinese production.

Face masks. Internet's full of Chinese face masks shipped from China. ?

And....Think of where it was made before popping bubble wrap !!

Edited by tassojunior

Today I heard Washington state where there was one CV death yesterday is having mass runs on stores today with shelves emptying.

Also saw a pic (can't be shared) of hundreds of people in S. Korea lined up for hours for face masks. However serious the pandemic may be, assume the reaction will be intense in a couple days and get top supplies now. N95 mask (ebay), Purell, rubbing alcohol, disinfectant and wipes, etc. will disappear in a day or two.

So much unnecessary fear. Our Supreme Leader has informed us that this will all blow over as soon as spring’s warmer weather arrives and that should happen very soon.

If there were any real threat to us, Supreme Leader’s loyalists, why would he leave more than 700 positions in the CDC and HHS unfilled and cut the agency’s funding 16%, knowing those people don’t do anything?