Random random

loremipsum

Life is miserable before getting tenure. 6 years of publish or perish articles in the "right type" of journals on an original topic you may come to hate with a passion of 1000 white hot suns

I’ve definitely thought about the potential to become disenchanted with formerly-beloved subject matter.

One of my best friends supports Trump unwaveringly. He possesses a very kind and gentle disposition and thus generally makes a pretty good first impression. But if we happen to be out and about at bars and such, and we start talking to someone new or I introduce him to someone, I’ll announce “He’s a Trump-supporter” after a while and their countenance changes at once. He asked that I stop doing it, so I won’t, but it was funny while it lasted.

*There’s a knock on my door*

Me (opens it): Hi.

Solicitor: Hello, do you have a few minutes to spare?

Me: Sorry, I’m tired. I work late (lie... well sometimes ;)) and wasn’t very happy when I was woken up last time.

Solicitor: Oh, well, with our offer you may not have to work again.

Me (awkwardly): Then why are you at my door working?

Solicitor (foolish smile falters, looks slightly dumbfounded): Okay, we will try tomorrow.

Me: I’m not interested. But thank you.

Solicitor: We can come back tomorrow.

Me: Please don’t.

Solicitor: Perhaps you will change your mind tomorrow.

Me (curtly): Have a good day.

To guys who solicit door-to-door for a living: Don’t be this person!

Edited by loremipsum

No matter how often I hear this usage, I still have a momentary 'WTF?'. Here, 'solicitor' is a word for an attorney.

I suppose you have “barrister,” too, but as a means of describing a different type of lawyer? I’ve only ever heard the two terms in tandem.

I suppose you have “barrister,” too, but as a means of describing a different type of lawyer? I’ve only ever heard the two terms in tandem.

Yep, sure do. Broadly, solicitors do legal work, provide advice, draft legal documents, attend more minor court cases and so on, so if you're going to see your lawyer, it will be a solicitor. Barristers (as distinct from baristas) are advocates in court trials, usually on more serious cases.

Just got back from a custom suit fitting. It took over an hour an half to collect all the measurements and select all the customizations.

That tailor knows my body better than my primary care physician!

My new suit and overcoat should be ready in four weeks. That will give me time to find an event to show it off!

p.s. The tailor was actually the hot son of the owner, and we were in the shop alone for most of my visit. I did flirt a tiny bit by touching him when I had the chance. :)

p.p.s As I was getting home from the suit fitting, I walked into the lobby of my condo building, and standing there was one of the hottest guys I've ever seen in public. I'm serious, this dude was super model hot. Sadly, I was shocked speechless while riding up the elevator. G*d how I hope he's a new resident.

Edited by Hoover42

That tailor knows my body better than my primary care physician!

p.p.s As I was getting home from the suit fitting, I walked into the lobby of my condo building, and standing there was one of the hottest guys I've ever seen in public. I'm serious, this dude was super model hot. Sadly, I was shocked speechless while riding up the elevator. G*d how I hope he's a new resident.

Sorry, I was only visiting

I read elsewhere a little while ago someone express a degree of disdain for the overuse of the word 'curate', and another poster comment that they were glad that someone else had the same thought as they did. It reminded me of a segment on the radio just yesterday about a 'celebrity book curator'. While I share the disdain for the overuse of the word, this was an occasion where I thought its use was strangely justified. The man's business was collecting a range of books to form a small library for his clients, very much to be read but also as a display. I thought 'curate' worked because it involved not just any copy of a book, but of seeking out better copies, hard cover, leather bound, first editions and the like.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/blueprintforliving/meet-thatcher-wine-book-curator/11631870

The program is pretty much a collection of random items, which you will see if you click on 'View Full Episode' or 'Blueprint for Living' at the top of the page.

On the short shelf life of 'popular' terms, I think back to a segment on a serious science program about the changes in Fremantle leading up to the defence of the Americas Cup yacht trophy in 1986. It referred to the gentrification of the port city and the proliferation of chic cafes and restaurants, intoning that the city was reaping the advantage of mining considerable quantities of Trendium, something that while good while it lasted was perhaps doomed because Trendium had a short half-life before decaying to its sister element Tedium. Sadly I can't locate audio of that item.

I read elsewhere a little while ago someone express a degree of disdain for the overuse of the word 'curate', and another poster comment that they were glad that someone else had the same thought as they did. It reminded me of a segment on the radio just yesterday about a 'celebrity book curator'. While I share the disdain for the overuse of the word, this was an occasion where I thought its use was strangely justified. The man's business was collecting a range of books to form a small library for his clients, very much to be read but also as a display. I thought 'curate' worked because it involved not just any copy of a book, but of seeking out better copies, hard cover, leather bound, first editions and the like.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/blueprintforliving/meet-thatcher-wine-book-curator/11631870

The program is pretty much a collection of random items, which you will see if you click on 'View Full Episode' or 'Blueprint for Living' at the top of the page.

On the short shelf life of 'popular' terms, I think back to a segment on a serious science program about the changes in Fremantle leading up to the defence of the Americas Cup yacht trophy in 1986. It referred to the gentrification of the port city and the proliferation of chic cafes and restaurants, intoning that the city was reaping the advantage of mining considerable quantities of Trendium, something that while good while it lasted was perhaps doomed because Trendium had a short half-life before decaying to its sister element Tedium. Sadly I can't locate audio of that item.

I don’t hear the word “curate” all that often, so I don’t think it’s an American phenomenon.

I personally think that the term “bigot” may be overused.

kitty corner

If you will indulge me, I had to look this up, and found this:

This expression, meaning “diagonally opposite,” was formed from a misspelling in English of the French word quatre (“four”) prefixed to “corner.” Although the word has nothing to do with cats or kittens, in various dialects all three spellings are acceptable: “catty,” “cater” or “kitty.”

I had no idea it was derived from French.

I have to agree. I would say curate also implies a consideration of the impact of the entire collection.

I don’t hear the word “curate” all that often, so I don’t think it’s an American phenomenon

It's common enough to be lampooned in a US TV ad:

If you will indulge me, I had to look this up, and found this:

This expression, meaning “diagonally opposite,” was formed from a misspelling in English of the French word quatre (“four”) prefixed to “corner.” Although the word has nothing to do with cats or kittens, in various dialects all three spellings are acceptable: “catty,” “cater” or “kitty.”

I had no idea it was derived from French.

Moi aussi!

I'm loving this thread, a place for all those little bits of whimsy you might hesitate to post as a new thread.

[MEDIA=twitter]1188975199342874625[/MEDIA]

The background. A couple of days ago I came across a tweet from a senior politician who spoke of being attacked on twitter for a post that appeared to be some sort of personal exposure. That's what their original post had looked like. The attacks spoke to the tendency of people to take individual tweets at face value when there is a clear context easily discovered. Turned out that they had written it as a contribution to a short fiction project, fiction that would fit in a single tweet, and the clue to what it was was the hashtag #meanjin280 (the name of the magazine running it and the character number). So, when I saw this tweet I knew what it was doing and that it wasn't a confession of an actual mouse incident. Or perhaps it wasn't.