Palm Springs or Key West resorts

jonnychgo
This topic is 1679 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey gents,

I'm thinking of escaping Chicago's winter for a week near the end of Feb. Considering Palm Springs or Key West. Going alone and a bit shy, but think I would like to stay at a gay resort. I'm 60, average body and HWP. Suggestions for resorts where there will also be some guys 40+? I'd feel a bit more comfortable.

Thanks

Jon

I'd say KW, only because the island attracts a wide variety of people, the local eats are great, the bars are inexpensive and the main gay B&B is routinely named one of the best in the world.

https://islandhousekeywest.com/

Plus, KW is easier to get around. No car needed. Walk or bike almost anywhere.

I disagree, Key West is no longer the place to go. So you've been pointed to the only place to stay, Island House that now has a monopoly on gay choices since that's the only place to go in Key West. The bars have gone, it isn't the same, go west my friend, go west

I have no interest in Palm Springs as a gay destination. W. Hollywood is close to the Pacific Ocean, a major reason to enjoy two different aspects of Southern California.

When it's dark and 20 degrees in the Midwest, skies blaze blue and 70-degree breezes tickle the goolies of naked men in Palm Springs. Florida is America's sump hole/Trump hole/dump hole. Go west to glory and young men.

Edited by woodworker

I disagree, Key West is no longer the place to go. So you've been pointed to the only place to stay, Island House that now has a monopoly on gay choices since that's the only place to go in Key West. The bars have gone, it isn't the same, go west my friend, go west

Alexander's

Equator

There are other places to gay & stay in ol' Key West ;)

However, I agree that KW's heyday has passed. It's not entirely gay bubble as it used to be... But neither is anywhere else. Times have changed and gay ghettos are nearly gone. We've acclimated, whether we like it or not.

Palm Springs is lovely, but it's a gay retirement community. It feels a bit creaky.

You could always do Puerto Vallarta. Super gay friendly. Strong exchange rate. Sexy guys. Inexpensive housing.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

Alexander's

Equator

There are other places to gay & stay in ol' Key West ;)

However, I agree that KW's heyday has passed. It's not entirely gay bubble as it used to be... But neither is anywhere else. Times have changed and gay ghettos are nearly gone. We've acclimated, whether we like it or not.

Palm Springs is lovely, but it's a gay retirement community. It feels a bit creaky.

You could always do Puerto Vallarta. Super gay friendly. Strong exchange rate. Sexy guys. Inexpensive housing.

Perhaps he should also consider Sydney and Rio as well. The problem is he only mentioned places in the United States. And not Mexico, Brazil or Australia.

@jonnychgo

I'd vote for PS. I predict when your stay ends, you'll wish you'd booked a couple more days.

Hacienda Warm Springs has some interesting older gents staying there. Friendly place, and the staff makes you feel at home. :cool:

Just be prepared to say good morning to everyone and sit by folks that are willing to chat. Many are. You'll hear so many interesting stories. Last time I chatted with this guy from Wisconsin that knew someone who took tap dancing as a boy, and lessons were accompanied by Liberace on piano. Who knows what's true, but it is fun to listen.

grounds-Night-Time-front-pool-3.jpg

The guys that manage Santiago are really sweet, I'd say around half the guests are 40+.

044_Full_Santiago_180523_DSC3901-1920x1282.jpg

Edited by E.T.Bass

Wow,, thanks everyone. Will take a look at all the suggestions. Interesting to hear about Lauderdale. I was thinking that first before Key West, but then remember that lots of people would always talk about Key West. Now that I think about it, it was 5-10 years ago,

Hmmm, going to the Daddy's forum weekend does sound interesting. Ideally though I would like to go somewhere warmish in Feb as I am from Chicago. Already going on a trip to Hawaii (found ridiculously low airfare on American) in Jan. I will be retiring a bit early from my career at the end of December and kind of want to do a bit of travel though I would be going alone, am quite shy and have mixed feelings.

Jon

Hmmm, going to the Daddy's forum weekend does sound interesting. Ideally though I would like to go somewhere warmish in Feb as I am from Chicago. Already going on a trip to Hawaii (found ridiculously low airfare on American) in Jan. I will be retiring a bit early from my career at the end of December and kind of want to do a bit of travel though I would be going alone, am quite shy and have mixed feelings.

Completely understand that a lakeside winter is one of the driving forces for your decision, and April doesn't answer that question! That said, if you can afford the trip along with whatever other travel you are undertaking, you shouldn't be concerned about your shyness. There are very social restaurant and poolside meetings, some part of the 'formal' agenda and some [as the international political meetings put it] in the 'margins', or just impromptu afternoons or evenings out. The two resorts I have stayed at (Canyon Club [cheaper and a little 'tired'] and Inndulge [more expensive and that shows]) have a free light breakfast served by the pool that is a great opportunity to meet other guests, and both of those two have a substantial number (up to 10 each) of forum members as guests for the weekend.

Agree with most posters that Key West, while beautiful, isn't especially gay. It's very expensive now for hotels. The gay strip club (Bourbon Pub) is ok. PS is cheaper and more gay but an older crowd. There may still be some gayish places in Laguna Beach which would be a compromise in an excellent place. I'm east coast but really prefer the south Orange County beaches in the US.

I live in DC and I suspect in Chicago you also have frequent short and very cheap flights to Fort Lauderdale. The airport is 10 minutes from me and therefore Ft. Lauderdale is 2 hours and 10 minutes from me. Fares can drop to incredibly low but usually are $100ish. Until Spring Break hotels in FLL are pretty cheap and the beach is great. Wilton Manors probably has more gay retired men than anywhere but it's mixed with a huge diverse gay community. And there are the 3 largest gay strip clubs with private "dances" in the US there. I consider Ft Lauderdale my weekend beach destination from DC.

Edited by tassojunior

Noting @tassojunior's comments, and also the possibility that at FLL there may be gay attractions rather than gay resorts, FLL may be a good choice for a long weekend in Feb. PSP is a small airport and cheap flights may be harder to find, and if you are thinking of going there in April it may be better to chose somewhere else for February.

@jonnychgo

I'd vote for PS. I predict when your stay ends, you'll wish you'd booked a couple more days.

Hacienda Warm Springs has some interesting older gents staying there. Friendly place, and the staff makes you feel at home. :cool:

Just be prepared to say good morning to everyone and sit by folks that are willing to chat. Many are. You'll hear so many interesting stories. Last time I chatted with this guy from Wisconsin that knew someone who took tap dancing as a boy, and lessons were accompanied by Liberace on piano. Who knows what's true, but it is fun to listen.

grounds-Night-Time-front-pool-3.jpg

The guys that manage Santiago are really sweet, I'd say around half the guests are 40+.

044_Full_Santiago_180523_DSC3901-1920x1282.jpg

I can second a stay at The Santiago!