Metropolitan Opera House

sydneyboy
This topic is 1690 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am contemplating a trip to New York. Mind you I have been contemplating a trip to New York for about 30 years but have never made it. A question for New Yorkers and others who frequent the Metropolitan. What is your favourite part of the theatre? I usually like being in the front stalls close to the action but if this is not available what about the expensive part of the parterre? Is it too far away for somebody who usually likes to be close? The most expensive seats in the parterre are 50 per cent more expensive than the stalls so they must have something going for them. I did ask this question many years ago but it was side tracked onto a discussion about opera in general. Nothing wrong with that mind you! A side question. What is the weather like in New York in April. I know I can look on the weather charts but that is not a substitute for the experience of locals. Thanking you all in advance.

Edited by sydneyboy

I am contemplating a trip to New York. Mind you I have been contemplating a trip to New York for about 30 years but have never made it. A question for New Yorkers and others who frequent the Metropolitan. What is your favourite part of the theatre? I usually like being in the front stalls close to the action but if this is not available what about the expensive part of the parterre? Is it too far away for somebody who usually likes to be close? The most expensive seats in the parterre are 50 per cent more expensive than the stalls so they must have something going for them. I did ask this question many years ago but it was side tracked onto a discussion about opera in general. Nothing wrong with that mind you! A side question. What is the weather like in New York in April. I know I can look on the weather charts but that is not a substitute for the experience of locals. Thanking you all in advance.

I enjoy the parterre seats high enough to hear the music better. But not too far to see the stage.

Grand Tier or Orchestra center for me are my preferred seating choices. Though i was once in the Parterre as a guest of a good friend who is a patron, and La Bartoli was in the next box. Those seats are nice and good for an occasion, but they are far too pricey for me. Had a subscription for a long time but work travel forced me to give away my tickets for half the season. So now, i just pick and choose :)

Weather in late April is probably a safe choice - light jacket is fine. Sometimes it is still cold in early April.

Edited by cany10011

When I lived near Lincoln Center I didn't have a lot of money, but I liked to go to the opera frequently. My favorite seats were always in the balcony boxes or the family circle boxes. I didn't mind seeing the performance from the side angle rather than straight ahead, because one was also much closer to the front of the stage, though unfortunately one can't always see the back of the stage. I preferred the front seats for a better view than the elevated back seats, but what I liked best about the boxes at any level was that the seats were real movable chairs rather than the fixed seats everywhere else in the theater. I noticed that many regular fans who came to multiple performances, including the legendary Lois, also often sat in the family circle boxes. Unfortunately, I haven't been back to the Met in almost a decade, so I don't know how things may have changed.

In April, one can get anything from snow to heat in Manhattan.

The price of opera tickets often takes my breath away. When I think I could buy a round trip plane ticket from NY to LA for less it makes me shake my head in wonder. But I really want to see the Philip Glass opera Akhnaten. So after much tapping away on the website I’ve settled for row B center in the balcony for $160. I’m seeing the matinee December 7. I would have liked to be closer but the seats available for twice that were way to the side. I really like being close to center. From videos I’ve seen the production looks pretty breathtaking. I’ll bring binoculars. Happily next week I’ll be in Berlin so I’ll get to see the Nefertiti bust at the Neues Museum. April in NY should be nice.

The price of opera tickets often takes my breath away. When I think I could buy a round trip plane ticket from NY to LA for less it makes me shake my head in wonder. But I really want to see the Philip Glass opera Akhnaten. So after much tapping away on the website I’ve settled for row B center in the balcony for $160. I’m seeing the matinee December 7. I would have liked to be closer but the seats available for twice that were way to the side. I really like being close to center. From videos I’ve seen the production looks pretty breathtaking. I’ll bring binoculars. Happily next week I’ll be in Berlin so I’ll get to see the Nefertiti bust at the Neues Museum. April in NY should be nice.

Since I don't get much of a chance to get to NYC, I do have to say I'm extremely happy that there is now a new movie theatre a block away from me (so cool), and they're doing the Met HD's. So I will happily see the transmission of Akhnaten in November from a cozy movie theatre seat for around $25 and feel quite happy with that. Sure, it would be more fun to be in-house, but since I can't, it's the next best thing to being there...:D

If this is a once in a lifetime trip, go for broke! Make it a truly memorable event and get the best seat available.

However, for those on a budget there are tickets available from discounted brokers, such as Goldstar.

Do a google search on discounted Met Opera seats.

One caution about the family circle boxes. I happen to be someone who is more interested in the music than the visuals, and most of the operas I saw at the Met were ones I was already very familiar with. I would not recommend the boxes for an opera like Akhnaten, or for something where you really cared to see the full action.

Something else I forgot to mention was the possibility of standing room if seats aren't available for something you really want to see, if you can handle it.

Edited by Charlie

To be honest I go more for the visuals but having listened to the score of Akhnaten I felt I just had to experience the whole thing live. I imagine I’ll be crawling out of the opera house totally drained.

I believe that this production is being done by the same team that did the production of Satyagraha some years back - and that was a true visual feast. So inventive, and so interesting and exciting to watch - and such an intriguing complement to the Glass score. But I also came into that production knowing the music to Satyagraha quite well, and I don't know the score of Akhnaten much at all. So this will feel like a new experience to me. What's great is that, since I also try to catch the weeknight broadcasts from the Met on Sirius XM, there will be a few broadcasts before the HD happens, so I'll get to know the score better through those, before I see the production.

I have only recently listened to the music of Akhnaten and the choral music reminded me of Carmina Burana. To my ear orgiastic. I’m not sophisticated when it comes to opera. But I love when many people are singing at once. I’ve come to enjoy the sound of counter tenors. The duet between Akhnaten and Nefertiti I found stunning. Also the juggling looks incredible from what I’ve seen on video. I’m really excited about seeing this opera.

I believe that this production is being done by the same team that did the production of Satyagraha some years back - and that was a true visual feast. So inventive, and so interesting and exciting to watch - and such an intriguing complement to the Glass score. But I also came into that production knowing the music to Satyagraha quite well, and I don't know the score of Akhnaten much at all. So this will feel like a new experience to me. What's great is that, since I also try to catch the weeknight broadcasts from the Met on Sirius XM, there will be a few broadcasts before the HD happens, so I'll get to know the score better through those, before I see the production.

FWIW if you miss a SiriusXM broadcast, there is a 1984 recording of Akhnaten by the Stuttgart Opera under the direction of Dennis Russell Davies available for streaming (or download I think) on the IDAGIO app. They also have Satyagraha, Einstein On The Beach and The Photographer.

Edited by g56whiz

FWIW if you miss a SiriusXM broadcast, there is a 1984 recording of Akhnaten by the Stuttgart Opera under the direction of Dennis Russell Davies available for streaming (or download I think) on the IDAGIO app. They also have Satyagraha, Einstein On The Beach and The Photographer.

Thanks! And yes, I may look into that if I have time, though at the moment I don't have the real time I need to sit down and really absorb the music. I do have a copy of the score, though. ;-) As a musician, as much as listening is key, I also like the visual aspect of music - it often helps me to be able to look at the score as I listen. Also, I find it can be fun to learn a new opera through a live performance - over the course of the Met broadcasts I've had the chance to find a host of new favorites just because they've been scheduled for a broadcast.

Even Satyagraha I first heard via a Chicago Lyric Opera broadcast back in the 1980's - at the time I was a skeptical listener as I didn't think I would like anything by Glass very much - and I fell in love with it that afternoon. Then, I sought out the studio recording...and I think it wasn't until the Met did it that I was able to hear a new performance of it.