Placido Domingo Under Investigation

BasketBaller
This topic is 1674 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Don Juan stereotype for opera superstars has been around for a couple of centuries; men whose careers depend on convincing a live audience that they are consumed with passion for women they are making love to on stage may find it easy to identify with the Don Juan role. What makes this less acceptable is the claims that Domingo retaliated by damaging the careers of those who resisted. It also makes things very awkward for those whom he obviously favored, like Ana Maria Martinez, whose relationships with him will be questioned. Opera companies and orchestras have always felt it was good business to protect their great artists from public exposure whenever they got in trouble, as the Met did with James Levine. The whole business model is now under review.

The Don Juan stereotype for opera superstars has been around for a couple of centuries; men whose careers depend on convincing a live audience that they are consumed with passion for women they are making love to on stage may find it easy to identify with the Don Juan role. What makes this less acceptable is the claims that Domingo retaliated by damaging the careers of those who resisted. It also makes things very awkward for those whom he obviously favored, like Ana Maria Martinez, whose relationships with him will be questioned. Opera companies and orchestras have always felt it was good business to protect their great artists from public exposure whenever they got in trouble, as the Met did with James Levine. The whole business model is now under review.

That so-called "business model" was always rotten, illegal , unethical and wrong and took advantage of the marginalization of whoever was preyed on, whether female singers or teenage students. All that's changed is that more people are willing to call it out.

From comments I've seen on another opera chat site, people have known about this for decades. I had never heard anything, but I'm saddened that he has been at this, seemingly, for a long time.

Do mean Domingo has been discussed over the years on that site about his aggressive and improper sex life?

Domingo had a reputation as one of the genuine “Mr Nice Guys” of Opera. Humble, unassuming and the antithesis of a Prima Donna. He rarely cancelled. To hear of this dark side is sad.

Mr. Miniver who once posted here wrote,as follows:

The showbusiness stars who were the same on stage and off were James Stewart and Ethel Merman.

Edited by WilliamM

Actually, just to clarify - you meant Sept 25 - the season doesn't start until the 23rd lol.

For those of us unable to get into NYC, I will safely assume at least one of those 3 performances (maybe more) will be broadcast on Sirius XM - I'm impatiently awaiting the broadcast schedule...which should be made public soon...I hope...

Although - I've always been a bit ambivalent about Domingo The Baritone - even though I give him props for reinventing himself, I have to admit that I'd much rather hear a true baritone in roles such as this. But I'm sure I'll be listening - just because I really treasure the availability of all the live Met broadcasts made possible now. (The Saturday schedule starts in December as always, but Sirius XM does broadcasts on selected weeknights all season long - and I wonder if they might also do some of the new Sunday matinees this year as well.)

• 1 month later...
The general manager of the Met considers the dozen or so allegations insufficient to cancel Domingo's appearances or even convene an investigation. Apparently the Met has learned nothing from the debacle with James Levine.

Domingo was let go a few days ago. He did not sing Macbeth tonight, nor will he, and he's out of the Met permanently.

The general manager of the Met considers the dozen or so allegations insufficient to cancel Domingo's appearances or even convene an investigation. Apparently the Met has learned nothing from the debacle with James Levine.

Mr. Domingo withdrew from the Met

Opera's "Macbeth" yesterday, September 24, according to the New York Times. He is not returning to the Met.

Mr. Domingo withdrew from the Met

Opera's "Macbeth" yesterday, September 24, according to the New York Times. He is not returning to the Met.

But I think, reading between the lines, he was forced to do so. I think enough of the Met orchestra, chorus, and crew, who did not want to work with him, forced Gelb's hand, and Gelb had no choice but to fire Domingo.

But, however it happened, indeed Domingo is done at the Met.

Domingo was let go a few days ago. He did not sing Macbeth tonight, nor will he, and he's out of the Met permanently.

That was a fast about face. Perhaps someone there remembered what egg they wound up with on their faces for protecting James Levine from the consequences of his actions.

Irrespective, I'm glad to hear it.