I've Been On Prednisone For About 17 Months For My Myasthenia Gravis...

Gar1eth
This topic is 1737 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’ve taken 5mg prednisone every day for the last 26 years. I’ll take it for the rest of my life. Learning to be conscious of the insulin masking was a 10 year ordeal, but knowing the prednisone keeps me from sensing I’m full was how I gained the upper hand in the weight gain/control arena.

On days I feel sick, tired or stressed doubling and tripling the dosage brings to mind the masking and the need for conscious awareness of its side effects..

I took Prednisone for 5 days due to bronchospasm and by day #2 I was ready to jump out of my skin. I was so happy to be off of it. I do not think I could have taken it for as long as each of you has. My appetite did not increase in that short sample.

The first time I took prednisone (roughly ten years ago) I had the same reaction as you did. My does was for ten days. However, being able to breathe again made up for it. The last few times I had bronchitis the doc prescribed prednisolone (sp?) and I didn't have all of the terrible side effects. After the second day I was actually able to sleep through the night. Still, I wanted to walk into Safeway with a knife and fork and just eat my way through the store.

To those who take prednisone on a daily basis you have my utmost respect for being able to tolerate it and bring yourselves to a place where you understand and accept the side effects are worth the benefits.