Crossword Puzzles

Gar1eth
This topic is 1832 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I always avoided the NYT Crossword Puzzles. But I bought a year's subscription for my iPhone. I've only done the Monday puzzles as I'm told they are the easiest. And I'll admit I don't always get the entire thing. But I'm doing much better than I expected. I just solved the Monday 11/05/2018 New York Times Daily Crossword in 19:09 without using any hints.

Gman

I have been doing NYT Crosswords for years. I only have a weekend subscription to the paper so I only do the Friday Saturday Sunday puzzles and if I run across a paper, I will do another day. While in Palm Springs, I did a Monday puzzle and though I found it easy, it was still fun. Gar1eth, keep plugging away and if you need a hint, I suggest putting the puzzle down and coming back to it a few hours later. It is amazing what a fresh set of eyes does to the puzzle.

When I started I was a Monday person. Then a Tuesday. Then I found a puzzle solving group at work and conquered Wednesday. Thursday is always odd and you never know if you’ll click or not. I now love Friday and Saturday. Just good solid puzzles and especially on Saturday I pick at it all day.

Sunday is just big. Always a theme, often easy sometime impossible.

Keep at it. You get in the groove and learn the lingo and even know what will happen based on the name of the constructor.

There are puzzle blogs that help. One of the more known in the “Rex Parker” blog.

When I started I was a Monday person. Then a Tuesday. Then I found a puzzle solving group at work and conquered Wednesday. Thursday is always odd and you never know if you’ll click or not. I now love Friday and Saturday. Just good solid puzzles and especially on Saturday I pick at it all day.

Sunday is just big. Always a theme, often easy sometime impossible.

Keep at it. You get in the groove and learn the lingo and even know what will happen based on the name of the constructor.

There are puzzle blogs that help. One of the more known in the “Rex Parker” blog.

Yes Rex Parker Solves the NYT Crossword is a nice blog and it does give the answers the same day. so if there are one or two letters which you would like to check, you can. If you just need a hint, you can ask someone else to look at the finished puzzle and then ask them for a clue. That is a way to move further into the week.

I almost always finish the puzzle, but sometimes it is not until days later. I leave the unfinished ones in the BR and take a look at them when I go in.

Edited by purplekow

I've been doing the NYTimes crossword for decades. It's part of my morning routine. A great cup of coffee and the crossword helps start the day.

The NYTimes crossword starts out easiest on Monday and progress in difficulty throughout the week. Sometimes the Friday and Saturday puzzles are killers.

Practice and repetition will help you develop your crossword skills. Many clues are often repeated.

A little hint...sometimes you have to put it down and move on to other things and you'll find that when you return to the puzzle some of the clues you couldn't get are easier to solve.

My spouse does the NYT crossword from Monday till about Thursday, then has to give up. If I help him, sometimes we can do the full week, and of course at any time he asks me for answers on subjects he knows nothing about, like sports and popular culture. His neurologist says that it is very important to keep doing crosswords for as long as he can as one of the ways to slow the progression of his Alzheimer's dementia.

Siemens (unit)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The siemens (symbol: S) is the derived unit of electric conductance, electric susceptance, and electric admittance in the International System of Units (SI). Conductance, susceptance, and admittance are the reciprocals of resistance, reactance, and impedancerespectively; hence one siemens is redundantly equal to the reciprocal of one ohm, and is also referred to as the mho. The 14th General Conference on Weights and Measures approved the addition of the siemens as a derived unit in 1971.

24A "Off with her head" and 47A "Capital offense" sort of explain this dumb "depicted literally" joke.

Kevin Slater

They're considering the "M" to be her head? Even with you explaining, which I appreciate, I don't really get it.

Gman

They're considering the "M" to be her head? Even with you explaining, which I appreciate, I don't really get it.

Gman

classic crossword clue. Anything clued with “head” in the clue often means something related to the first letter of a word (ditto foot).

Gman

classic crossword clue. Anything clued with “head” in the clue often means something related to the first letter of a word (ditto foot).

Gman