Cheap chicken deadly.

tassojunior
This topic is 1872 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Because of the possibility of cross contamination it is now recommended that one NOT wash chicken prior to cooking. It seems washing the chicken leaves contaminates in the sink and on any other surface the washing liquid touches. One is supposed to pop the chicken right into or onto the oven, the grill, or the skillet. If one is using some type of coating on the chicken it should be done on disposable paper with the excess coating discarded. Talk about complicated!!!!!!!!!!

It's well to remember that the antibiotic resistant bacteria that are being detected are most likely resistant strains of bacteria that would be present to some level anyway. So the risk that an infection would be difficult to treat has to be balanced against the relatively low chance of developing an infection at all. It's still dangerous but not immediately so. The bacteria will likely become part of a person's microbiome, so if an infection develops it would be more dangerous than if it had been caused by a non-resistant strain.

The precautions @Epigonos suggests are applicable regardless of the resistance status of the bacteria, but they are directed mainly at pathogens exposure to which always causes illness, such as salmonella. Complete separation of cooked and uncooked chicken in the kitchen is the key, and washing it carries a risk of cross contamination, especially in a small kitchen where separate preparation areas aren't feasible. As always, thorough cooking reduces the risk, and resistant bacteria are resistant to antibiotics, not to heat.

That $1.89/lb boneless chicken breast may kill you.

Yikes! They even mentioned Aldi, where I buy the majority of my meat. I'm sure the stores in the US don't have this problem. :rolleyes:

Haven't ever shopped at Lidl, though they just opened one in Union, NJ last year. Anyone try it?

Thankfully I haven't developed a taste for under-cooked chicken and pork (though I did try raw chicken in Japan once). Beef on the other hand I like very rare so please don't post a link to an article saying cows have this bacteria also.

Gadfly22 don't be too sure that the Aldi stores in the United States don't have a problem. The major problem with discount markets, especially those that originated in Europe, is that EVERYTHING arrives prepackaged at the local market. They don't have butchers or greengrocers on site. All they have is employees who know where to put the prepackaged bell peppers and the prepackaged pork chops. No one on site has any idea where their products originated.

Many specialty markets are clearly identifying the origin of most of their products. Even many traditional chains are beginning to do so. I live in Orange County, California and both Smart & Final and Sprouts clearly label the origin of their products. These markets and more expensive than the discount one but I like knowing the origin I what I'm buying.

Because of the possibility of cross contamination it is now recommended that one NOT wash chicken prior to cooking. It seems washing the chicken leaves contaminates in the sink and on any other surface the washing liquid touches. One is supposed to pop the chicken right into or onto the oven, the grill, or the skillet. If one is using some type of coating on the chicken it should be done on disposable paper with the excess coating discarded. Talk about complicated!!!!!!!!!!

How many years have we been preparing chicken? How many times has it made you sick?

Zero sickness for me...but yeah I’m careful and in addition to kitchen wipes I have a squirt bottle of Clorox bleach for the cutting board. Yes...it’s a Boos WOOD cutting board, my Kramer knives prefer wood.

How many years have we been preparing chicken? How many times has it made you sick?

For me, quite often. The problem abated when I started buying chicken from Trader Joe's (which is pre-packaged), Whole Foods (sometimes pre-packaged, depending on the brand), and from behind the meet counter at Safeway (previously VONS). I don't think it is antibiotic-resistant bacteria that makes me sick, but the antibiotics themselves.

For me, quite often. The problem abated when I started buying chicken from Trader Joe's (which is pre-packaged), Whole Foods (sometimes pre-packaged, depending on the brand), and from behind the meet counter at Safeway (previously VONS). I don't think it is antibiotic-resistant bacteria that makes me sick, but the antibiotics themselves.

“Meet counter” at Safeway.....hmmmmm, didn’t realize you liked “chicken” ? and met them there! I’ll have to look!! <tongue in cheek>!

I’ve bought a lot of zacky farms and foster farms chix at Vons, etc and never got sick. I’m very careful handling it. I will say lately though I’ve been cooking chicken to 140-145° in the sous vide, then finishing elsewhere and probably not hitting recommended 165°, juicy chicken

I’ll agree wholeheartedly Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s a better product and probably safer

“Meet counter” at Safeway.....hmmmmm, didn’t realize you liked “chicken” ? and met them there! I’ll have to look!! <tongue in cheek>!

I’ve bought a lot of zacky farms and foster farms chix at Vons, etc and never got sick. I’m very careful handling it. I will say lately though I’ve been cooking chicken to 140-145° in the sous vide, then finishing elsewhere and probably not hitting recommended 165°, juicy chicken

I’ll agree wholeheartedly Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s a better product and probably safer

I'm getting too old for anti-biotic immune stuff so I guess I've bought the last of the $1.99/lb boneless breasts. I've seen the horrible filthy way those hens are raised so not surprised so much anti-biotics are neccessay. Those places need to be shut down. From now on Trader Joes free range or nothing.

We may go back to the preWW2 old days when chicken was a fairly expensive meat.

“Meet counter” at Safeway.....hmmmmm, didn’t realize you liked “chicken” ? and met them there! I’ll have to look!! <tongue in cheek>!...

LOL! You should visit my local Safeway! Yuuu-uuum!! (There's actually a very well-built 30-something assistant manager who can restock my shelves any time he wants. In addition to being very cute and very built he is very nice to employees and customers alike.)

But seriously, when I use the pressure cooker I never get sick. Also, I recently made a roasted chicken recipe that roasted the chicken at 400 degrees after being tossed in lemons and a quarter cup of olive oil. Came out very thoroughly cooked and juicy. No sickness.

Oh - I get sick just by looking at a Costco rotisserie chicken. When I see those ginormous birds for five bucks I think of the following SNL skit: