Refund Or No Refund?

DALE CRUZE
This topic is 1876 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

for the first time in 10 years i had a client complain from their skin breaking out from my lotion. i have used the same lotion for 5 years. never saw the client prior to this, but i gave them a good massage and then a half hour later they texted me asking the brand of lotion. its plant based massage lotion with lavender. pic included. he said he was allergic to lavender ...and wants a refund....SHOULD I GIVE HIM A REFUND or NOT ??

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe that you owe him a refund. You provided the agreed upon service sufficiently . As Judge Judy would say "He ate the Steak".

As far as the allergic reaction goes, you as the professional could have asked him if he had any allergies,...but ultimately it's up to him to let his sensitivities be known.

If you want to show good will, you could offer him a discount on his next session...using a different lotion of course. However, he may not choose to return.

1.) If he’s allergic to lavender, I’m wonderig why he didn’t specify this allergy prior to the massage.

2.) Did he not smell the lavender as he was being massaged with the lotion? Lavender has a distinctive smell. I find it strange that he didn’t notice this during the massage.

3.) If you showed him pics of the lotion used, would he be willing to show you pics of his allergic reaction to the product?

I know I’m going to get slammed for this, but in my opinion, he shouldn’t be refunded. His allergy is HIS responsibility.

For example, if a customer has a specific food allergy, and they visit a restaurant and order a meal, they typically confirm if that ingredient is in the dish they want, prior to ordering it. They don’t eat the food, without verification, then demand a refund after they’ve eaten the food and have had an allergic reaction.

Lavender is a commonly used aromatherapy product. If one received a massage, it would make sense to ask if it is being used, if there’s an existing allergy.

However, if you do decide to give him a refund, inform your local peers in the business of this customer’s allergy.... just in case he’s running a scam.

Also, now you can ask prospective clients if they have any allergies before performing massages. ☺️

I do not believe that you owe him a refund. You provided the agreed upon service sufficiently . As Judge Judy would say "He ate the Steak".

As far as the allergic reaction goes, you as the professional could have asked him if he had any allergies,...but ultimately it's up to him to let his sensitivities be known.

If you want to show good will, you could offer him a discount on his next session...using a different lotion of course. However, he may not choose to return.

thanks...thats what i was thinking. he said he broke out in hives all over and made a huge fuss over it yet he was inked up almost everywhere on his body so i am wondering why someone like that would be such a "cupcake" ? i think he just wanted me to fuck him and got upset when i rejected the idea.

1.) If he’s allergic to lavender, I’m wonderig why he didn’t specify this allergy prior to the massage.

2.) Did he not smell the lavender as he was being massaged with the lotion? Lavender has a distinctive smell. I find it strange that he didn’t notice this during the massage.

3.) If you showed him pics of the lotion used, would he be willing to show you pics of his allergic reaction to the product?

I know I’m going to get slammed for this, but in my opinion, he shouldn’t be refunded. His allergy is HIS responsibility.

For example, if a customer has a specific food allergy, and they visit a restaurant and order a meal, they typically confirm if that ingredient is in the dish they want, prior to ordering it. They don’t eat the food, without verification, then demand a refund after they’ve eaten the food and have had an allergic reaction.

Lavender is a commonly used aromatherapy product. If one received a massage, it would make sense to ask if it is being used, if there’s an existing allergy.

However, if you do decide to give him a refund, inform your local peers in the business of this customer’s allergy.... just in case he’s running a scam.

Also, now you can ask prospective clients if they have any allergies before performing massages. ☺️

thanks... when he asked for the refund i told him that i would consider it but first wanted to run the situation by "forum" ...he got really pissed at that and said "YOU jeopardized my life and you want to present this before a FORUM !!!???" lol oh please. gimme a break

thanks...thats what i was thinking. he said he broke out in hives all over and made a huge fuss over it yet he was inked up almost everywhere on his body so i am wondering why someone like that would be such a "cupcake" ? i think he just wanted me to fuck him and got upset when i rejected the idea.

The plot thickens!!!

I knew there was more to this story... you didn’t provide him with the expected “services”, so he then demands a refund for his “allergy”....

?

Hell no on the refund! Out of curiosity, was it a 60 minute or 90 minute massage?

60 min... the irony is this guy has hit me up on scruff and grindr many many times to "hookup" and i have always declined, so then he scheduled a massage and i didnt realize who it was until i got there. NOW i realize he was just being a prissy little rejected bitch. these fools are too much sometimes

60 min... the irony is this guy has hit me up on scruff and grindr many many times to "hookup" and i have always declined, so then he scheduled a massage and i didnt realize who it was until i got there. NOW i realize he was just being a prissy little rejected bitch. these fools are too much sometimes

Sneak over at night and plant a few lavender plants outside his front door.:rolleyes:

That’s quite disturbing and teeters along the lines of stalking. Be careful and aware of your surroundings.... because this dude sounds absolutely nuts.

Ridiculous. No, don't give him a refund. If he's truly allergic to something that might be in a massage oil or lotion and knew that in advance, then he surely would have addressed that issue prior to the massage, not afterwards. And if he didn't know he had an allergy, then it isn't your fault that he ended up having a bad reaction to something in the product you used.

I got lice once from a masseur who apparently didn't use fresh sheets to cover his table. I alerted him that I thought I got lice from him just so he could correct his hygiene habits, but I did not ask for nor expect a refund or any other form of compensation.

You've solved the "problem" by outing him as a cheat. At first, I was going to say, "Be a good guy and offer him a free massage next time," but when I read that he had such a severe reaction, I realized that anyone who was THAT allergic would tell you first.

However, you have probably decided by now to ask your clients if they have allergies, and note that you use lavender (and perhaps other allergens) in your lotion. It's a good idea to do that.

Many restaurants will ask about allergies when I make a reservation on line. They know that EMTs rushing into their place of business at a crowded hour is not good for business!

So two reasons for my curiosity on whether it was a 60 or 90 massage...

First, during the last year I developed an allergy to a particular massage cream but it took a 90 minute massage to confirm that it was cocoa butter. I was actually breaking out before the end of the session and was able to ask what he was using. Of course the masseur gave me a full refund. :p Kidding!!

Second, I was wondering if perhaps your stalker signed up for your 90 minute massage perhaps expecting “more” with the longer more expensive session. In your case I wondered explicitly because I saw that your 90 min rate is significantly more than your 60 min rate. Yes, I’m guilty of sometimes inferring the same. And I’ve inferred both correctly and incorrectly! ;)

But no, your situation is pure lunacy and there are zero sympathetic bones to be thrown to this lavender loser.

Guest InthePines

I don't think it's appropriate to ask for a refund, for he should have told you about his allergies before hand, but I'm also confused as to the necessity to disclose the situation in a public forum.

but I'm also confused as to the necessity to disclose the situation in a public forum.

From my viewpoint, not so much about “disclosing” and more about asking for input on how other potential clients might react. It’s a discussion forum, seems like a smart move to gain insight and perhaps adjust (or not) accordingly in the future.

for the first time in 10 years i had a client complain from their skin breaking out from my lotion. i have used the same lotion for 5 years. never saw the client prior to this, but i gave them a good massage and then a half hour later they texted me asking the brand of lotion. its plant based massage lotion with lavender. pic included. he said he was allergic to lavender ...and wants a refund....SHOULD I GIVE HIM A REFUND or NOT ??

No refund for all reasons mentioned by others. But when you started mentioning the other parts of your history with this client, (hitting you up on Scruff, etc.)......it becomes clear that you really need to hit the "delete" button on him and stay FAR away. Do not respond to him via text, phone, etc. Just "ghost" him. He sounds like a nutcase and a future problem if you engage him in any way in the future.