PrEP - always remember that there are

HornyRetiree
This topic is 1738 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sorry, I do not know why you cannot find this info.

NSAIDS add to the extreme workout that Truvada confers [sorry, should be "imposes", not confers] on our kidneys. My follow-up PrEP team at a top-drawer clinical research centre always says: remember, drink lots of water and do not take any Advil.

Try googling 'truvada nsaids' and follow the trail.

I did and still can't find anything from a reliable source. By the way, I work in a hospital and if it was contraindicated we wouldn't be giving out NSAIDS with Truvada and we do it all the time. The pharmacy would not permit us to do that over and over and over again.

I did and still can't find anything from a reliable source. By the way, I work in a hospital and if it was contraindicated we wouldn't be giving out NSAIDS with Truvada and we do it all the time. The pharmacy would not permit us to do that over and over and over again.

I just googled "NSAIDs" and Truvada and got a number of hits that said that NSAIDs should be used with great caution when taking Truvada. That's good enough for me.

I just googled "NSAIDs" and Truvada and got a number of hits that said that NSAIDs should be used with great caution when taking Truvada. That's good enough for me.

I said reliable sources... I found lots of websites saying it but I don't know they are reliable... Anyone can put anything not he internet. Reliable I mean CDC, Gilead, etc... not some place I've never heard of.

I said reliable sources... I found lots of websites saying it but I don't know they are reliable... Anyone can put anything not he internet. Reliable I mean CDC, Gilead, etc... not some place I've never heard of.

nteractions between your drugs

Majoribuprofen tenofovir

Applies to: Advil (ibuprofen) and Truvada (emtricitabine / tenofovir)

Tenofovir may cause kidney problems, and combining it with other medications that can also affect the kidney such as ibuprofen may increase that risk. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop signs and symptoms that may suggest kidney damage such as nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, increased or decreased urination, sudden weight gain or weight loss, fluid retention, swelling, shortness of breath, bone pain, muscle cramps, tiredness, weakness, dizziness, confusion, and irregular heart rhythm. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

I pasted this from Drugs.com which says that the content is taken from FDA-approved prescribing information. There are several separate warnings just like this for naproxen, asprin and all of the other common NSAIDS.

I don't what more you want.

Part 3 Consumer Information - see the paragraph on "do not take with ... NSAIDS".

Gilead Sciences Product Monograph for Truvada, July 5 2018

Me: Ibuprofen may perhaps be a NSAIDS with lower nephrotoxicity than some others but it can be easily switched out for Tylenol or Aspirin? Some people pop such pills like candy, and my health care providers may be framing taking Advil (or Methocarbamol with Ibuprofen for muscle relaxation) as a prohibition rather than a caution?

Edited by SirBIllybob

https://www.gilead.com/~/media/files/pdfs/medicines/hiv/truvada/truvada_pi.pdf

TRUVADA should be avoided with concurrent or recent use of a nephrotoxic agent (e.g., high-dose or multiple non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs]) [see Drug Interactions (7.1)]. Cases of acute renal failure after initiation of high-dose or multiple NSAIDs have been reported in HIV-infected patients with risk factors for renal dysfunction who appeared stable on TDF. Some patients required hospitalization and renal replacement therapy. Alternatives to NSAIDs should be considered, if needed, in patients at risk for renal dysfunction.

Qualifiers bolded. News flash, taking too much of powerful drugs might fuck you up, particularly if you have been diagnosed with certain illnesses! Talk to your damn doctor, people, not randos on the web! :mad:

Aspirin IS also an NSAID

Yes, I realized that after having boned up on some of the reading this week. You have a good eye.

I might have walked off with misinformation or misinterpretation. In any case, I now stick to Tylenol.

I am going to go over it again with a walk-in to the PrEP clinic pharmacist soon because my PrEP follow-up with the nurse is a few months away.

My quarterly PrEP visit with my doctor always includes a full metabolic panel to screen for any kidney issues. I believe this is a standard part of the protocol. I also take daily meloxicam (a long-lasting prescription NSAID). If either or both together impact my renal function, it would show in the blood test.

• 2 months later...
My quarterly PrEP visit with my doctor always includes a full metabolic panel to screen for any kidney issues. I believe this is a standard part of the protocol. I also take daily meloxicam (a long-lasting prescription NSAID). If either or both together impact my renal function, it would show in the blood test.

It might be overkill. In my 3-month panel, I get serum creatinine and one liver enzyme (don't remember which one).

It might be overkill. In my 3-month panel, I get serum creatinine and one liver enzyme (don't remember which one).

Rudy, might it be A. L. T. ? I'm a Kasier member and in their PrEP program. (My boyfriend of 12 years is poz and wanted me to get on it).

ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE (ALT)

Print

About this test

For general information about a test procedure, click the "About this test" link above.

To see more information about a test result, select the "Details" tab. To compare test results over time, click "Past results" or "Graph of past results."

Minor differences in test results from the usual range are not uncommon and likely represent acceptable individual or lab variation. Test results outside the usual range are subject to interpretation by your doctor.

Component results

Component.........Your value......Standard range

ALT....................... 21U/L ............. 0 - 47 U/L

Following the "About this test link" gives:

What is it?

An alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test measures the amount of the enzyme ALT in the blood. ALT is found mainly in the liver. When ALT levels are higher than normal, it can mean that the liver is damaged or diseased.

Rudy, might it be A. L. T. ? I'm a Kasier member and in their PrEP program. (My boyfriend of 12 years is poz and wanted me to get on it).

ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE (ALT)

Print

About this test

For general information about a test procedure, click the "About this test" link above.

To see more information about a test result, select the "Details" tab. To compare test results over time, click "Past results" or "Graph of past results."

Minor differences in test results from the usual range are not uncommon and likely represent acceptable individual or lab variation. Test results outside the usual range are subject to interpretation by your doctor.

Component results

Component.........Your value......Standard range

ALT....................... 21U/L ............. 0 - 47 U/L

Following the "About this test link" gives:

What is it?

An alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test measures the amount of the enzyme ALT in the blood. ALT is found mainly in the liver. When ALT levels are higher than normal, it can mean that the liver is damaged or diseased.

I'm imagine that's it. You know Kaiser-a protocol for everything. I've never been able to interest myself in liver enzymes so I can't tell the difference between them or why they would order one over the other.

Ugh....out of town 3 days and forgot my Truvada ?

You may wish to give your private physician a call and have him telephone a pharmacy near you. I believe that he could prescribe 3 doses. I did that once but it was for 5 days. However if you are going to be out of town for 3 days it really means you only miss one day's dose and that is no big deal. Actually some doctors are not even prescribing PrEP in per day doses but until there are actual studies I am keeping to the every day regimen.

Actually some doctors are not even prescribing PrEP in per day doses but until there are actual studies I am keeping to the every day regimen.

An on-demand schedule requires a lot more thinking about the timing of dosages. It's not advised nor the norm for good reason.

It's only a matter of time before PrEP becomes an injectable inoculation. I also read they're close to bringing out other options for PrEP, including a different formula of Descovy.

Forward progress and multiple options for keeping one negative are always a good thing. I hope to see more of this progress for people living with HIV in the near future as well.