I'm Probably Going To Be Renting A Room In A House...

Gar1eth
This topic is 1882 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Currently there is only the owner and myself. But he has another room to sublet. I'm wondering if once there is another person, if I'd be out of line to ask about getting a keyed lock for my door. I mean it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to get one with just the owner being there as I'm assuming he would need a key to the lock too.

Gman

While I was attending graduate school 90 miles away from my somewhat permanent apartment (fairly recently), I rented a room in a house with the owner and one other guy. (The owner lived in the master bedroom and had his own bath). The other guys room had a keyed door, mine did not. The owner offered to key it, but I wasn't keeping anything of value in the room, and spared him the expense.

While I was attending graduate school 90 miles away from my somewhat permanent apartment (fairly recently), I rented a room in a house with the owner and one other guy. (The owner lived in the master bedroom and had his own bath). The other guys room had a keyed door, mine did not. The owner offered to key it, but I wasn't keeping anything of value in the room, and spared him the expense.

I'm probably going to have a computer, TV, passport, and a tablet in there.

Gman

I'm probably going to have a computer, TV, passport, and a tablet in there.

Gman

By all means, ask for a lock, since you have valuables there. It would also be nice to know what kind of homeowner's insurance your landlord has, though he might not like the question so I don't know if I'd ask it.

If for some reason he doesn't want you to have a lock, invest in a nanny-cam.

By all means, ask for a lock, since you have valuables there. It would also be nice to know what kind of homeowner's insurance your landlord has, though he might not like the question so I don't know if I'd ask it.

If for some reason he doesn't want you to have a lock, invest in a nanny-cam.

FYI Homeowners insurance does NOT cover the property of boarders or tenants. Gman should get his own renters' insurance(quite inexpensive) to cover his stuff.

You can get a security cam off Amazon for about $25. Get one that takes sd cards so you dont need to subscribe to a cloud. You'll have 3 days back saved and can download any part you want plus get motion alerts.

Im sitting in Prague monitoring all my house and yards in DC on cam. I saw when my cleaning lady came in and when she left. I saw (and saved) my #1 having sex in my bed and the dining room (!) (He waved at the cam). I use Alexa to turn lights on and off from 5000 miles ( like when #1 brings someone I don't like to my bed.) Ive used my security cam to check where I put my keys when I entered, sent 4 hours of my sleeping to my sleep doctor, and figured out how I scratched my eyeball in my sleep.

For 25 bucks a security cam solves a lot of problems (and provides entertainment).

@tassojunior, is there something that keeps the SD card from being removed to destroy the evidence? If not, I’d opt for cloud...

The micro sd card is so tiny and hidden i doubt anyone would find it. Plus short 10 second motion detects for the past 20 are provided free in the cloud. Subscribing to the cloud service of the manufacturer is $10/month.....why the cam is so cheap.

I had shared living situation once. I was completely fine with the owner. When he decided to bring in another was when it became a nightmare. The owner was completely fine with the guy but we didn’t really get along. I do all my business outside. The other liked to bring everyone home. It came to a point he and his circle started to encroach on my privacy. I’m not very particular but sometimes you notice when stuff were touched or seems out of place. I left and got my own place instead. I’ve never had a roomie since. I am thinking though of maybe renting out my extra bedroom to a college student. He or she would only be there part time. The student can leave after every semester so I can have a break from him/her. It’s just a thought for now. I’m still cannot imagine having someone stay with me even for overnight.

I rented a room from a guy when I first came out, I'd found him via an ad in the local gay bar rag. The first roommate was ok, a bit off. The second guy the landlord was about to move in went through my room while I was down in the basement making space in the storage area for his stuff. He grabbed some credit cards from a box on my dresser & went on a spending spree; I found out when one of the stores called me at work. I went home to check it out & found one of my shirts in the washing machine - he'd helped himself to some of my clothes too. I told the landlord, said I was going to get a lock for my room, he evicted the other guy before I even had a chance to confront him.

What about brining in overnight guests? Do you get loud during intercourse? These are things to consider …

I'm most likely not going to be having anyone over. I don't think the owner would like it. And while my usual form and figure is not really the type to inspire lustful fantasies in most guys, it's even less likely now that I'm on prednisone. My face is round enough to be a full moon, my jowls have been supersized, and the line from T'was The Night Before Christmas about the stomach jiggling like a bowlful or jelly when he laughed was obviously inspired by me.

Since I am broke and can't hire, there's most likely not going to any action unless a handsome muscular feeder sees my picture on hook-up app and falls head over heals. As likely as that scenario isI don't think I'm going to be holding my breath until that happens.:rolleyes:

Gman