Trip to India

m4same
This topic is 1575 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be going to Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, and Goa. Any suggestions for me? Thanks.

You're going from very cold weather to hot weather... Keep hydrated and drink bottled water... Enjoy the differences in culture. People there are nice and will go out of their way to treat you nice. Take lots of pictures so you can remember all the places you visited. Enjoy the visit to the Taj Mahal and the surrounding areas... Have fun...

You're going from very cold weather to hot weather... Keep hydrated and drink bottled water... Enjoy the differences in culture. People there are nice and will go out of their way to treat you nice. Take lots of pictures so you can remember all the places you visited. Enjoy the visit to the Taj Mahal and the surrounding areas... Have fun...

Thank you for the reply, easy.

Take some imodium on the off chance that you become "irregular". If you are going to the Taj Mahal go at opening around 5 in the morning. the crowds are not that bad and there will be less people in your photos.

If you are in Agra on a moonlit night, try going to the Taj Mahal. You probably won't get into the grounds--the gates are usually locked at night--but moonlight on the building can be beautiful, and there will be no tourists on the grounds. If you stay at the Mughal Sheraton, try to get a room with a view of the Taj.

Don't drink the water in Goa (even a bottle of water in a hotel room may have been filled from the tap in the utility room), and beware of restaurant drinks (like lassi) that haven't been boiled. The worst "Delhi belly" I ever had was while staying in a small hotel in Goa. When traveling in the country, stop at a coconut stand, and have them slice open a fresh coconut; the liquid is very refreshing and safe to drink--bring your own straw.

Off topic but I don't often have a lot of Indian clients, but had one recently and then another a few years back who was a regular regular. I'm quite surprised at their "endowments", and many I've met didn't mind being bottoms.

I'm convinced India has the largest bananas in Asia. I just don't think they get proper "press" here in America, despite their large presence...though usually Indians are usually the hotel owners/doctors/convenience store owners versus other taboos.

Take some imodium on the off chance that you become "irregular". If you are going to the Taj Mahal go at opening around 5 in the morning. the crowds are not that bad and there will be less people in your photos.

Thanks. I will bring imodium and a z-pack

Off topic but I don't often have a lot of Indian clients, but had one recently and then another a few years back who was a regular regular. I'm quite surprised at their "endowments", and many I've met didn't mind being bottoms.

I'm convinced India has the largest bananas in Asia. I just don't think they get proper "press" here in America, despite their large presence...though usually Indians are usually the hotel owners/doctors/convenience store owners versus other taboos.

Who knew?

If you are in Agra on a moonlit night, try going to the Taj Mahal. You probably won't get into the grounds--the gates are usually locked at night--but moonlight on the building can be beautiful, and there will be no tourists on the grounds. If you stay at the Mughal Sheraton, try to get a room with a view of the Taj.

Don't drink the water in Goa (even a bottle of water in a hotel room may have been filled from the tap in the utility room), and beware of restaurant drinks (like lassi) that haven't been boiled. The worst "Delhi belly" I ever had was while staying in a small hotel in Goa. When traveling in the country, stop at a coconut stand, and have them slice open a fresh coconut; the liquid is very refreshing and safe to drink--bring your own straw.

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions.

Be careful what you eat and drink. Use bottled water always (even to brush your teeth, make sure ice in your drinks are from bottled water). Only eat fruits and vegetables that can be peeled. If you eat from a buffet, make sure you take food from the bottom of the dish near the heat source. This may sound over cautious, but you'll be glad you did, when you don't get 'delhi belly.' India is a wonderous place, like no where else in the world....you'll have a great time.

Be careful what you eat and drink. Use bottled water always (even to brush your teeth, make sure ice in your drinks are from bottled water). Only eat fruits and vegetables that can be peeled. If you eat from a buffet, make sure you take food from the bottom of the dish near the heat source. This may sound over cautious, but you'll be glad you did, when you don't get 'delhi belly.' India is a wonderous place, like no where else in the world....you'll have a great time.

Thank you for the good advice.

Visit the hill forts in Jaipur

Re. Imodium. I felt a cramp at Taj Mahal. Fearing the inevitable took two. It was actually my adjustment to high fiber. I was constipated for a week

Overcompensated, I guess? Your screen name would make a good band name, by the way.

Thank you for the good advice.

I would second the caution about times you put water in your mouth without thinking about drinking it. I usually brush my teeth with beer in India.

I will bring imodium

Buy it there. Cheaper and much stronger. I give them credit for that at least - they have much better versions of the "wimpy" OTC medications we have here in the states.

Only eat fruits and vegetables that can be peeled.

Not a good idea. I thought so at one time as well, but I got the worst case of Montezuma's revenge (or the Indian equivalent - Gandhi's revenge?) from eating one of those mini bananas. I knew as soon as I swallowed it I was in trouble. My stomach made the loudest and longest gurgle I ever heard and I spent the next 24 hours power vomiting and with explosive diarrhea! Do not eat anything unless thoroughly cooked!

Don't over worry about getting sick, just be reasonably cautious. Drink "sealed" bottled water that "you open". Don't use ice in drinks as freezing doesn't purify it. Eat cooked foods that aren't overly spicy. Americans stomachs frequently react negatively to Indian food that is overly spiced for our palates. Also remember that if you get a case of Delhi Belly it is most likely a reaction to different foods and NOT some exotic form of dysentery. The imodium suggestion is a good one.

Most Americans have a very strong positive OR negative reaction to India. Some love it others absolutely hate it. I absolutely loved it the first time I visited. Have been twice and need to return, in the near future, to visit the south.

The Taj Mahal is absolutely mind blowing. It is hard to believe that man could create something that beautiful. To my way of thinking only the great Gothic Cathedrals of France can compare. The colors of Rajasthan are wonderful; the saris of the women, the red forts, and the semiprecious stone available for purchase in Jaipur.

Have a wonderful time and upon your return do let us know your reactions.

Edited by Epigonos

It seems to be a limited itinerary and not sure how many days you have at hand - use your maximum time in traveling through smaller towns and villages as you circle through these cities. Indian metropolises are a crowded mess but small towns are the real gems giving you a glimpse of the beautiful culture.

In terms of food, don't be too afraid to try local food - As long as you take care of water (only bottled) and avoid street food, you will be fine.

In Jaipur, do visit Chokhi Dhani on an evening, it's like a theme park giving you a glimpse of Rajasthani village life, food and hospitality. The local cuisine makes use of shrubs and spices grown in extreme weather and is very unique.

In Delhi, try visiting local bazaars (Chandni Chowk, Karol Bagh, Connaught Place) for a crowded but captivating shopping experience. Delhi is great to buy garments in general. In terms of food, clay oven (tandoor) based dishes and lassi (yogurt drink) are a speciality.

In Goa, see if you can travel to coastal towns in the north or south, they are gorgeous. Food wise, don't miss the coastal Malwani cuisine and seafood. If you are a morning person, try a local beach yoga and meditation group to join, it's a lot of fun - not what Goa is known for but the energy of the place is super conducive.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions while being on the trip. Being an Indian myself, happy to share any cultural tips you may need.

Have fun and share stories once you are back :)

Way to generalize MY people.

Oh, I thought you didn't do that.