Diabetes Epidemic

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1954 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are some frightening Diabetes statistics that are occurring both in the United States and other countries.

If the trend continues, this will bankrupt Medicare.

" During the second half of the twentieth century this Law of the Jungle has finally been broken, if not rescinded. In most areas wars became rarer than ever.

Whereas in ancient agricultural societies human violence caused about 15 per cent of all deaths, during the twentieth century violence caused only 5 percent of deaths, and in the early twenty- first century it is responsible for about 1 per cent of global mortality.

In 2012 about 56 million people died throughout the world; 620,000 of them died due to human violence (war killed 120,000 people, and crime killed another 500,000). In contrast, 800,000 committed suicide, and 1.5 million died of diabetes.

Sugar is now more dangerous than gunpowder"

"Whereas in 2010 obesity and related illnesses killed about 3 million people, terrorists killed a total of 7,697 people across the globe, most of them in developing countries. For the average American or European, Coca-Cola poses a far deadlier threat than al- Qaeda. "

http://mwlandry.ca/famille/etudes/harari.htm

https://baptisthealth.net/en/physicians/documents/online%20cme/lustig%20%20fructose%20slides.pdf

Edited by MasssageGuy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had diabetes for over 10 years. I watch my diet. My mother had it; she died at 56. Her mother had it and though she lived into her 80s it cost her both legs.

Two of the most expensive meds I take - insulin and Janumet - are for diabetes. My only prescription insurance is Medicare Part D. Both meds are on a high tier. Thus they cost more out-of-pocket.

I've had diabetes for over 10 years. I watch my diet. My mother had it; she died at 56. Her mother had it and though she lived into her 80s it cost her both legs.

Two of the most expensive meds I take - insulin and Janumet - are for diabetes. My only prescription insurance is Medicare Part D. Both meds are on a high tier. Thus they cost more out-of-pocket.

Thank you for sharing this.

There is a growing body of evidence that sugar and high fructose corn syrup are causing Metabolic Syndrome.

Here in the Rio Grand valley along the border (that Trump wants to wall) the incidence of diabetes is nearing 50%. It’s the result of a combination of factors: (in no particular order) socioeconomic, cultural (diet) and genetic inheritance. A new dialysis center opens about every two months. A college classmate of mine who spent his entire distinguished career in diabetes research told me this area is monitored closely as a forecast of what the rest of the US will face.

Here in the Rio Grand valley along the border (that Trump wants to wall) the incidence of diabetes is nearing 50%. It’s the result of a combination of factors: (in no particular order) socioeconomic, cultural (diet) and genetic inheritance. A new dialysis center opens about every two months. A college classmate of mine who spent his entire distinguished career in diabetes research told me this area is monitored closely as a forecast of what the rest of the US will face.

Incredible statistic. It is suspected that soda which is sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup is the cause.

Look at the labels on all the foods you purchase - HFCS is an ingredient in far too many of the products we consume. The best way to shop in any supermarket is around the walls - you can get fresh produce, milk products, meats and breads. But even there the healthiest looking packages conceals HFCS.

I spent a week in Northern Italy this fall. I consumed one meal per day and was never hungry - yes, I snacked but only one meal. I remarked to my hosts and their response was, "Of course, our food is so much better than American food because we don't have the preservatives and sugars processed into our food."

I believe that Mexico is the highest per capita consumer of Cola Cola.

many here know that "Mexican Coke" has become a bit of a trendy item in the US as an alternative to US-made Coke because it contains real sugar, not HFCS......however, both contain 39g of sugar per 12 oz. container, a stunning 78% of the suggested daily sugar intake for an average person

I fear there are even some Americans who think Mexican Coke is healthier because it contains real sugar and not HFCS!

Please don't post pictures of minors

Edited by Guy Fawkes

I believe that Mexico is the highest per capita consumer of Cola Cola. That and the consumption of lard laced tortillas are cultural component I mentioned.

Obesity in Mexico and China might surpass the American rates soon.

Look at the labels on all the foods you purchase - HFCS is an ingredient in far too many of the products we consume. The best way to shop in any supermarket is around the walls - you can get fresh produce, milk products, meats and breads. But even there the healthiest looking packages conceals HFCS.

I spent a week in Northern Italy this fall. I consumed one meal per day and was never hungry - yes, I snacked but only one meal. I remarked to my hosts and their response was, "Of course, our food is so much better than American food because we don't have the preservatives and sugars processed into our food."

Unfortunately the "food industrial complex" gets a huge subsidy by tax payers just because it's mostly based in Red States.

Thank you for sharing this personal story as you've done it before telling us about your preexisting condition.

You just made the case for us to take responsibility paying a monthly fee for healthcare! We should help those like you who because of genetics, lifestyle or accidents need coverage now because one day we will also need to see a Doctor.

Corn are tortillas the basic tortillas in most of mainland Mexico and they have no lard.

Here on the US side of the Mexican border flour tortillas are more common. The real determinant is how the tortilla will be used. For carnitas and some breakfast tacos corn tortillas are called for. For most other dishes flour tortillas are used. But this is just a gringo’s observation.

Statin therapy is associated with a significant increase (30% in one study) in Type 2 diabetes in people who were already at high risk for diabetes. Not to say that people shouldn't take statins if there is a medical reason, but to underscore how important it is to work towards reducing all the risk factors. Easier said (and they say it a lot) than done.

Regarding sodas - I drink diet soft drinks. I need my daily caffeine fix.

I was told years ago that corn tortillas were healthier than flour. And of course rice is a no no for diabetics.

My doctor told to be avoid 5 things - potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, cereals. And fruits and veggies like citrus, grapes, corn, peas.

Here on the US side of the Mexican border flour tortillas are more common. The real determinant is how the tortilla will be used. For carnitas and some breakfast tacos corn tortillas are called for. For most other dishes flour tortillas are used. But this is just a gringo’s observation.

Go to a taco truck anywhere in Mexico and USA and your tacos will be on corn tortillas. In Mexico corn tortillas are sold daily at tortillerias by the kilo....locals bring their own towel or bag daily.

You mention the border and yes Tex-Mex uses flour tortillas for burritos, etc. but traditional taco, enchilada, tortas all lard free corn tortillas (water, corn, lime).

Flour tortilla “bowls” for taco salads are an abomination to Mexican cuisine ;)

Edited by MikeBiDude

I was told years ago that corn tortillas were healthier than flour. And of course rice is a no no for diabetics.

My doctor told to be avoid 5 things - potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, cereals. And fruits and veggies like citrus, grapes, corn, peas.

Diet sodas are even worse. They actually cause obesity. Why the hell do people drink that poison? What the hell happened to simple water?

The whole food pyramid is stacked against a healthy, Paleo diet. I sometimes wonder if Novo-Nordisk secretly funds the HFCS industry to gin up demand for their drugs.

Unfortunately diet sweeteners aren't usually very good for you either.

I love sodas, and some energy drinks. Plus I need the caffeine too. To reduce my calories, and to avoid all the B vitamin cr-p they put into the energy drinks, I often take caffeine tablets. The tablets are 200 mg. I split them in 1/2 to get about 100 mg. The small Red Bull has about 80 mg of caffeine per serving. So I'm taking a little over the amount of caffeine in an 8.4 oz can of Red Bull. Plus the tablets have no calories.

Gman

Unfortunately diet sweeteners aren't usually very good for you either.

I love sodas, and some energy drinks. Plus I need the caffeine too. To reduce my calories, and to avoid all the B vitamin cr-p they put into the energy drinks, I often take caffeine tablets. The tablets are 200 mg. I split them in 1/2 to get about 100 mg. The small Red Bull has about 80 mg of caffeine per serving. So I'm taking a little over the amount of caffeine in an 8.4 oz can of Red Bull. Plus the tablets have no calories.

Gman

Your right. I gave up artificial sweeteners and in one year lost 4” in my waist line. I didn’t lose a significant amount of weight but my doc says losing the inches was significant, lowering my risks for heart disease and diabetes. I also lost my cravings.

The Department of Agricuture is throwing out Obama-era school nutrition standards and tossing a lifeline to the dairy industry. It’s called more fat, sugar, and salt.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-01-09/big-dairy-is-about-to-flood-america-s-school-lunches-with-milk?srnd=premium

Keep 'em stupid; keep 'em sick. Gotta keep Big Pharma in in business.

Coke is poisoning China. Hey, it's one way to win the trade war.

Very interesting article. It supports Dr. Lustig's claim that we are being poisoned in the name of profit.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/01/10/683919100/study-coca-cola-shaped-chinas-efforts-to-fight-obesity?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20190110&utm_campaign=nprnews&utm_term=nprnews