Diabetes Epidemic

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1954 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing all soft drinks have in common, whether they contain sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or artificial sweeteners, is zero nutritional value. At least my beer has B vitamins!

But many of the soft drinks contain caffeine that many including myself are addicted to. I do not drink coffee or tea so (diet) soft drinks are how I get my daily caffeine fix.

Unfortunately diet sweeteners aren't usually very good for you either.

I love sodas, and some energy drinks. Plus I need the caffeine too. To reduce my calories, and to avoid all the B vitamin cr-p they put into the energy drinks, I often take caffeine tablets. The tablets are 200 mg. I split them in 1/2 to get about 100 mg. The small Red Bull has about 80 mg of caffeine per serving. So I'm taking a little over the amount of caffeine in an 8.4 oz can of Red Bull. Plus the tablets have no calories.

Gman

I commented in another thread that I also take caffeine pills (with a pill splitter) but I was able to find 100mg ones on Amazon. So, I do 50mg in the morning and 50mg mid afternoon. I'd like to get down to zero, but it's been difficult to drop under 100. (The motivation for going caffeine-free is to reduce blood pressure).

I commented in another thread that I also take caffeine pills (with a pill splitter) but I was able to find 100mg ones on Amazon. So, I do 50mg in the morning and 50mg mid afternoon. I'd like to get down to zero, but it's been difficult to drop under 100. (The motivation for going caffeine-free is to reduce blood pressure).

I'm glad to hear you can purchase caffeine pills. When I was in college (a LONG time ago), I lived on No-Doz. I'm not sure if they are sold in drug stores any longer.

It's a much better way to get caffeine than sugary drinks or diet soda.

Here's listing of caffeine for different beverages.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/the-caffeine-database

Edited by MasssageGuy

Since I have a wicked sweet tooth, it's been a decades-long battle to resist sugar. One thing I have managed to avoid is soda because it is the junkiest of junk food, all sugar yet zero nutrition. I used to drink diet soda until I read somewhere that despite the calorie difference diet soda is useless for weight loss. I also just had a feeling that diet soda had to be really bad for you. The science has since confirmed my instincts.

I also avoid fruit juices as much as soda. While OJ & other juices might have some nutritional value, their sugar content rivals or even surpasses sugar-packed soda. I even avoid fruit because the fructose sparks my cravings for more sugar (ice cream is my kryptonite). I figure I get plenty of vitamins & antioxidants from veggies.

Besides just watching out for sugar, one should also pay attention to the glycemic index of what you eat because a lot of food is surprisingly high-glycemic. Corn chips have a glycemic index rating of 105(!), Stoned Wheat Thins 96, and a marketed-as-healthy Nutri-Grain bar 94. Compare those ratings to jelly beans at 80. Who would've guessed?

Since I have a wicked sweet tooth, it's been a decades-long battle to resist sugar. One thing I have managed to avoid is soda because it is the junkiest of junk food, all sugar yet zero nutrition. I used to drink diet soda until I read somewhere that despite the calorie difference diet soda is useless for weight loss. I also just had a feeling that diet soda had to be really bad for you. The science has since confirmed my instincts.

I also avoid fruit juices as much as soda. While OJ & other juices might have some nutritional value, their sugar content rivals or even surpasses sugar-packed soda. I even avoid fruit because the fructose sparks my cravings for more sugar (ice cream is my kryptonite). I figure I get plenty of vitamins & antioxidants from veggies.

Besides just watching out for sugar, one should also pay attention to the glycemic index of what you eat because a lot of food is surprisingly high-glycemic. Corn chips have a glycemic index rating of 105(!), Stoned Wheat Thins 96, and a marketed-as-healthy Nutri-Grain bar 94. Compare those ratings to jelly beans at 80. Who would've guessed?

I'm glad to know your "gut feeling" told you something before those scientist from their ivory tower finally agreed with you :D