If I were to react to a post with these reaction icons, how would you interpret it?

Tarte Gogo
This topic is 1991 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I must be the only one who loves all these new goodies/options. Not sure why anyone would want less choices :confused:

I say keep them all, & maybe add a ? or a ? for those rare posts you can't get enough of.

Which makes my point. Thank you, @Corporate Shill.

When things like wisdom and intelligence and free will boil down to whether you have a choice of 5, 50, or 500 emojis, I think it's fair to say that the emojis in question are the symptom of the problem. They are certainly not the solution. This is a perfect illustration of the argument that social media is leading to, at best, dumbed-down democracy, and at worst digitally-regulated authoritarianism.

What's up for grabs in this "testing" period, as far as I can tell, is whether there is any website to be had that contains any type of discussion or debate worth actually having. :oops::oops::oops: And that's me being a bit hysterical, I know. :eek::eek::eek:

I assumed this website was offline until January. The reason I found out it was up is that last week I called someone after I got a call from a family member of @Traveler North informing me he had passed. The forum member I called informed me @tristanbaldwin had already posted a message here, thankfully. I think all of us would agree that type of information sharing is one very important community function this website has served, and will hopefully continue to serve. And we've all just shown we're adults who are perfectly capable of expressing genuine sadness at the loss of a dear member of our community, without needing a sad face emoji to do so.

But while we are on the subject of death:

"The collapse of our civilizations and the extinction of much of the natural world is on the horizon."

You can take a statement like that, or leave it. It was just spoken by David Attenborough, narrator of Planet Earth, at the keynote to the UN conference on climate change in Poland. If you choose to leave such rubbish, one might rather appreciate having an emoji to communicate one's contempt for such a statement. So, for example, let's posit that there is - for sake of argumentation - someone I will refer to as "Individual 1." And let's say - just for the sake of argumentation - that "Individual 1" likes to tweet every morning. Said "Individual 1" might feel that a "fake news" emoji (o_Oo_Oo_O ???) communicates the appropriate level of contempt for stupid concerns about the future of civilization perfectly adequately. In our new era of digital authoritarianism, a new and proper "fake news" emoji might be all we actually need to survive and prosper. Hell, my guess is we could even all be perfect gentlemen, and simply agree that the "meh" emoji is perfectly adequate to express our common contempt for idiots like Attenborough who are concerned about the future of civilization.

Then again, there is always the possibility that a few among us might prefer the idea of reading and sharing and debating hundreds or even thousands of pages of government and scientific reports that suggest that perhaps Attenborough actually has a point. Surely, no one in their right mind would think we can't get enough of that kind of reason. Right? Nobody would actually prefer dry reams of data when a lively "fake news" emoji will do, right? I mean, why would anybody actually fight passionately about data, or ideas, as if the collapse of civilizations was actually at stake? I mean, can't it all be adequately summed up like this: :mad::mad::mad:. Then can't we all just agree to move on to the next emoji? :):):)

Because once you go down that rabbit hole, you find out very quickly that tweets and emojis and rants about "fake news" are not the solution to the problem. They offer no discernible advancement to civilization. One might even conclude that the kind of tweets and emojis and rants about "fake news" we experience daily from my figurative "Individual 1" are in fact part and parcel of the grave threats our civilization actually faces.

Having a nice little pyramid on how to make an argument is all well and good. And if I were a school marm, I'd give extra points to any ambitious student who tried to make a well-documented argument using a nifty pyramid like that. But it still remains a good question as to whether just posting a nice little pyramid that explains the rules of logic and reason to a bunch of very smart people even begins to address the real problem.

As recently as - hmmm, let's see, today! - we had a perfect example of what one might argue is the real problem. Somebody real, who I will again refer to as "Individual 1" - said that unless people accept his facts - which are widely refuted - and his way of doing things, he is going to shut the entire US government down. No, this is not a test. This is real. I'm not sure there is an emoji to communicate concern that you won't be getting your Social Security check this month. Or that you'd best not plan a trip to a national park anytime soon. It all feels rather bullying to me. Surely, there must be a "bully" emoji?

So we might consider this: until we figure out a way to actually discuss and address the problem as it exists in the real world, and have civil and civilized discussions instead of digital authoritarianism and tweets and bullies, the choice of whether we have 5 or 50 or 500 emojis may have no real meaning. Surely that warrants a sad face, right? :(:(:(

Then again, others will surely disagree.

After all, what more choice do any of us really need? :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edited by stevenkesslar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@stevenkesslar

Besides being hyper verbose you seem like a drama queen over reacting after a few emojis.

It is so simple.

I love writing thoughtful responses to all deserving messages. Fortunately in this forums there are too many messages that deserve a response, it is physically impossible to me to respond to all of them.

The emojis are a very small but simple and expressive remedy. If you do not like them, do not use them.

They are indeed better than the silence I would be forced to give to so many great contributions.

And the next time I just give you a "Verbose man with beautiful blue eyes" icon.

Edited by latbear4blk

@stevenkesslar

Besides being hyper verbose you seem like a drama queen over reacting after a few emojis.

It is so simple.

I love writing thoughtful responses to all deserving messages. Fortunately in this forums there are too many messages that deserve a response, it is physically impossible to me to respond to all of them.

The emojis are a very small but simple and expressive remedy. If you do not like them, do not use them.

They are indeed better than the silence I would be forced to give to so many great contributions.

And the next time I just give you a "Verbose man with beautiful blue eyes" icon.

Which one emoji is “too verbose” ?

When things like wisdom and intelligence and free will boil down to whether you have a choice of 5, 50, or 500 emojis, I think it's fair to say that the emojis in question are the symptom of the problem. They are certainly not the solution. This is a perfect illustration of the argument that social media is leading to, at best, dumbed-down democracy, and at worst digitally-regulated authoritarianism.

What's up for grabs in this "testing" period, as far as I can tell, is whether there is any website to be had that contains any type of discussion or debate worth actually having. :oops::oops::oops: And that's me being a bit hysterical, I know. :eek::eek::eek:

I assumed this website was offline until January. The reason I found out it was up is that last week I called someone after I got a call from a family member of @Traveler North informing me he had passed. The forum member I called informed me @tristanbaldwin had already posted a message here, thankfully. I think all of us would agree that type of information sharing is one very important community function this website has served, and will hopefully continue to serve. And we've all just shown we're adults who are perfectly capable of expressing genuine sadness at the loss of a dear member of our community, without needing a sad face emoji to do so.

"The collapse of our civilizations and the extinction of much of the natural world is on the horizon."

You can take a statement like that, or leave it. It was just spoken by David Attenborough, narrator of Planet Earth, at the keynote to the UN conference on climate change in Poland. If you choose to leave such rubbish, one might rather appreciate having an emoji to communicate one's contempt for such a statement. So, for example, let's posit that there is - for sake of argumentation - someone I will refer to as "Individual 1." And let's say - just for the sake of argumentation - that "Individual 1" likes to tweet every morning. Said "Individual 1" might feel that a "fake news" emoji (o_Oo_Oo_O ???) communicates the appropriate level of contempt for stupid concerns about the future of civilization perfectly adequately. In our new era of digital authoritarianism, a new and proper "fake news" emoji might be all we actually need to survive and prosper. Hell, my guess is we could even all be perfect gentlemen, and simply agree that the "meh" emoji is perfectly adequate to express our common contempt for idiots like Attenborough who are concerned about the future of civilization.

Then again, there is always the possibility that a few among us might prefer the idea of reading and sharing and debating hundreds or even thousands of pages of government and scientific reports that suggest that perhaps Attenborough actually has a point. Surely, no one in their right mind would think we can't get enough of that kind of reason. Right? Nobody would actually prefer dry reams of data when a lively "fake news" emoji will do, right? I mean, why would anybody actually fight passionately about data, or ideas, as if the collapse of civilizations was actually at stake? I mean, can't it all be adequately summed up like this: :mad::mad::mad:. Then can't we all just agree to move on to the next emoji? :):):)

Because once you go down that rabbit hole, you find out very quickly that tweets and emojis and rants about "fake news" are not the solution to the problem. They offer no discernible advancement to civilization. One might even conclude that the kind of tweets and emojis and rants about "fake news" we experience daily from my figurative "Individual 1" are in fact part and parcel of the grave threats our civilization actually faces.

Having a nice little pyramid on how to make an argument is all well and good. And if I were a school marm, I'd give extra points to any ambitious student who tried to make a well-documented argument using a nifty pyramid like that. But it still remains a good question as to whether just posting a nice little pyramid that explains the rules of logic and reason to a bunch of very smart people even begins to address the real problem.

As recently as - hmmm, let's see, today! - we had a perfect example of what one might argue is the real problem. Somebody real, who I will again refer to as "Individual 1" - said that unless people accept his facts - which are widely refuted - and his way of doing things, he is going to shut the entire US government down. No, this is not a test. This is real. I'm not sure there is an emoji to communicate concern that you won't be getting your Social Security check this month. Or that you'd best not plan a trip to a national park anytime soon. It all feels rather bullying to me. Surely, there must be a "bully" emoji?

So we might consider this: until we figure out a way to actually discuss and address the problem as it exists in the real world, and have civil and civilized discussions instead of digital authoritarianism and tweets and bullies, the choice of whether we have 5 or 50 or 500 emojis may have no real meaning. Surely that warrants a sad face, right? :(:(:(

After all, what more choice do any of us really need? :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Although he clearly prefers #1 (in various meaning) I prefer to think of the early morning tweeter as a #2. :rolleyes::Do_O

You can take a statement like that, or leave it. It was just spoken by David Attenborough, narrator of Planet Earth, at the keynote to the UN conference on climate change in Poland.

What emoji would you suggest for “apocalyptic drama queen”? :)

Like I said, you can take or leave the climate change warning.

You clearly prefer to leave it.

Hence, I'd suggest the "party like it's 1999 emoji." :p

Welp, I did ask about enabling emojis back before the update took place, so I can't act like I'm not loving this now :p:):D

Can't respond in full to your post w/o getting the thread sent to the Politics forum, but I do gotta say I disagree that social media is authoritarian & dumbing-down democracy. The opposite is true actually... social media has empowered regular citizens with no money or power to become politically active, allowing #PeoplePowered movements to rise up all across the world. The Gilets Jaunes protests wouldn't be taking place in France w/o social media organizing, for example.

The Gilets Jaunes protests wouldn't be taking place in France w/o social media organizing, for example.

You too can open your heart of our lovely Gay spirit and pray for others to receive the joy of what our President Donald Trump called the "LGBTQ" community, which is of love and peace.

You too can open your heart of our lovely Gay spirit and pray for others to receive the joy of what our President Donald Trump called the "LGBTQ" community, which is of love and peace.

Vive La Revolution!!

They should bring back the guillotine! ???

http://smileys.newbeginningsnetwork.com/piwigo/galleries/AGGRESSION/violence/guillotine-smiley-emoticon.gif

If you hover over the icon you'll get a word. For the first one "Verbose" and for the 2nd one "Ad Hominem"

4-E127469-2-D0-B-4-D49-8-DDF-9-C52-FF49400-B.jpg

As title says.

First one, i have no idea, but potentially I could interpret as if someone is saying “blah, blah, blah, .... tldr”.

Second one, does it mean “I have mixed feelings about this?” Or “it is all mixed up in my brain, I don’t know what to think any more?” Any other potential meaning?

Do you not have a desktop or laptop? You can learn the meaning of the icons there, where you can hover over them with a mouse or Touch pad. You learn the meanings in one sec.

I have learned it. I have been perfectly fine since freshfluff explained, many many days ago.

I am not sure what guy changed recently just before he asked me to “try again”, but with or without the change, I am fine.

This thread can be closed.