Things that aren't there anymore: men's seamless turtlenecks

oldNbusted
This topic is 2004 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A shopping themed post for peak shopping season.

When I wore a younger man's clothes, one could buy shirts with turtlenecks that didn't have a seam in the neck. I know, I have some, but they seem to have shrunk or something, they don't fit anymore. :cool: To be clear, I don't mean the seam where the neck is attached to the body, but that the neck is a seamless tube that is then sewn onto the body.

These days, all I can find are turtlenecks with seams, usually right up the back of the neck, to be as inconspicuous as possible, but still there.

The story I was told one time was that knitting a continuous fabric tube requires a special loom built for just that purpose and when fabric production moved overseas, those looms didn't make the trip. That's why many turtlenecks are now made of a flat piece of fabric that is sewn to form a tube.

Maybe I'm missing something, I have looked and written to many places but no luck for men's. I have seen women's, but needing a men's large tall size.

So I turn to the forum, perhaps someone has a lead. Mock turtlenecks would be acceptable also.

A shopping themed post for peak shopping season...

I thought that was going to lead into a post about long-time stores in one's area that have gone the way of the dodo (and no, I don't mean the one in the White House). I think you added the part about the turtlenecks to the title after I first clicked on it.

Mock turtlenecks would be acceptable also.

Well, okay, I'll think it about it as the evening progresses, but right now I can't think of anything to write to mock turtlenecks. :cool::D:p:rolleyes:;)

The only store that came to mind was Eddie Bauer, where one could find a plethora of colors, but they no longer sell them. :(

EDIT: I did not look hard enough. They sell turtlenecks. With seams on the back of the neck.

I tried.

I appreciate it! The tall size thing is also probably a killer.

Land's End used to be my go-to for seamless neck turtles and mock turtles. Been a long time since I've done business with them. It looks like Sears has run them into the ground. The customer reviews are mostly complaints about how the quality is way off, iconic garments have been changed, and sizing is now completely out of whack.

No seamless neck shirts on their site now.

It's funny. People here in San Francisco love getting out their winter gear. As soon as the temperature drops below sixty, everybody puts on their heavy overcoats, their scarves and their wool hats. In truth, except for a few really cold days, a light jacket is enough. But you would never know it from the way people dress when it starts to get cool.

It was 57 here in Houston today and bunch of guys wearing flip flops and shorts with no problem. One point: All four guys in shorts had no hair on legs. What's up with that? I hate shaving down as bodybuilder; I rather have someone shave me down instead or just go hairy.

I actually thought about that this time. Shaving all over is really a chore, and I thought, "Why don't I hire somebody to do it?" I ran out of time before I left for LA, though.

It's funny. People here in San Francisco love getting out their winter gear. As soon as the temperature drops below sixty, everybody puts on their heavy overcoats, their scarves and their wool hats. In truth, except for a few really cold days, a light jacket is enough. But you would never know it from the way people dress when it starts to get cool.

Here in Phoenix we have people wearing hoodies when it is 80 degrees and puffer coats when it is 60. CRAZY!