Longevity In Your Family?

Avalon
This topic is 2043 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Tomorrow is my aunt's birthday. She will be 102. She is my father's sister and the oldest of three children. The first to die was my uncle; he was 69. Then my father; he was 82.

My paternal grandmother was 91. My grandfather was 79.

My aunt has three daughters. The oldest died several years ago - cancer.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

My mother was 56. Her mother was 84, her father was 56. Her brother was in his 40s; never married, no children.

I had an older sister - same mother, different father. She died 42 suicide.

My sister had three children; daughter, son, daughter. The youngest died age 52. Only the oldest is married, none have children.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My father had more than three times the number of years to be with his mother than I had with my mother.

Difficult to tell because my dad and all my uncle's smoked. My mom and all my aunts did not smoke, and all lived into their 80s or 90s.

So I would not give much attention to longevity in one's family, and did not even count my uncle who died from too much drinking.

Also some medical problems that once let to quick death can now be treated successfully.

Edited by WilliamM

Difficult to tell because my dad and all my uncle's smoked. My mom and all my aunts did not smoke, and all lived into their 80s or 90s.

So I would not give much attention to longevity in one's family, and did not even my uncle who died from too much drinking.

Also medical problems that once let to quick death can now be treated successfully.

My mother was a smoker. She quit for awhile then resumed. I think she knew that she was dying. Even began having a small glass of wine with dinner.

All over the place. Some have died suddenly at 18 or 21, others made it to 90s. Supposedly a great aunt made it to 108 back before so many people made it to 100.

My aunt lived to 100, but I never met her. She was married to my mother's oldest brother (older by 20 plus years, same parents). My mom bought a birthday card, but never sent it.

My uncle died in the streets of Boston, homeless and drunk. I called their daughter when my mother died in 2000 at age 91. She wanted her mother's ashes buried with her dad's. That, I could do.

Edited by WilliamM

In my family, on both sides, the men die young (I'm on borrowed time!) and the women live forever.

Great grandmother liquidated everything she owned (which wasn't much) in her mid-60's in a deal to take up residence at the Masonic Home. It meant she had a home, meals, assistance as needed, and healthcare for as long as she lived. The old biddy (dad's word) lived to 95. She got her money's worth.

At 95 she went for her usual walk around the duck pond when her hip broke and she fell. She was hospitalized (on site) and recovering from that when she had a heart attack. She was recovering from that when a massive stroke finally took her.

Stubborn is a word I learned early.

I had four centenarians in my family: my mother, my aunt, and two great-aunts. Those older generations also had many others who lived well into their 80s and 90s, and one of my uncles has just turned 95. However, my generation isn't following that pattern. The average age at death of my dozen first cousins has been 61; almost all of them are already dead, and I'm the oldest one still living.

Mom - Died last march at 91 (please, no sympathies, she had been thoroughly demented for a decade).

Dad - 90 and still going strong, with most of his marbles and not much different than 80

Maternal uncle is 88, has all of his marbles, but has just begun radiation treatment for prostrate cancer.

Paternal Aunt, 85 - Pneumonia, after falling and not being able to get up or attract help for 3 days, with a DNR order in place (had *severe* arthritis).

Paternal grandmom, 87 (pancreatic cancer)

Paternal grand uncle and his aunt - both 88 (both colon cancer).

Parternal grandfather 67 - heart attack.

No longevity in mine....

Both parents died in their 70's.

Interesting research being done on DNA and how to "slow" the aging process.

Diet, exercise and mindfulness (compassion, empathy, etc.) are the key to keeping the genes happy.

https://endpoints.elysiumhealth.com/three-scientists-who-changed-our-understanding-of-dna-6833c1a057a0

In my family, on both sides, the men die young (I'm on borrowed time!) and the women live forever..

Well keep in mind men dying young tended to be from heart disease, which medicine today has a FAR better handle on than in the past. My uncle had a heart attack at 55 and is still alive at eighty-seven.