Do You Have A Favorite Female Painter?

Avalon
This topic is 1413 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On the recent episode of "The Conners" Mark dressed as Frida Kahlo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo

I don't care for her.

I prefer Angelika Kauffman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelica_Kauffman

You've set up a false binary. They represent vastly different styles and eras of art. Art by female painters is not a class of art within which it is possible to make any sort of sensible choices. It makes about as much sense as, 'I don't care for Frida Kahlo, I prefer fries and gravy.'

You can't consider the art of Frida Kahlo without also considering Diego Rivera and their collective place in 20th century Mexican art.

You've set up a false binary. They represent vastly different styles and eras of art. Art by female painters is not a class of art within which it is possible to make any sort of sensible choices. It makes about as much sense as, 'I don't care for Frida Kahlo, I prefer fries and gravy.'

You can't consider the art of Frida Kahlo without also considering Diego Rivera and their collective place in 20th century Mexican art.

Good points. One reason I don't care for Kahlo and Rivera and Picaso too is that they were Communists.

Good points. One reason I don't care for Kahlo and Rivera and Picaso too is that they were Communists.

Yes. He was am Anti Semite.

I like John Philip Sousa.

As you mentioned above the U.S. was an ally of Communist Soviet Union during The Second World War, so why do dislike Pablo Piccaso so much?

I don't know why we should have allied ourselves with Stalin. Let Hitler and Stalin fight it out on the freezing steppes of Russia.

Weren't England and France hypocrites? They declared war on Germany because Hitler invaded Poland. But Hitler divided Poland with Stalin. Why did the Allies then not declare war on the USSR?

I don't know why we should have allied ourselves with Stalin. Let Hitler and Stalin fight it out on the freezing steppes of Russia.

Weren't England and France hypocrites? They declared war on Germany because Hitler invaded Poland. But Hitler divided Poland with Stalin. Why did the Allies then not declare war on the USSR?

Ah. Russia borders Japan. Look at a map once in a while. It was to the U.S. eternal benefit to ally with the Soviet Union in the Second World War. I was not even a history major in college, but I like maps.