Walker Advice

Avalon
This topic is 1781 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With two wheels all you have to do is let the non-wheels side down, which will happen if it gets away from you. Carpets and Tile should not be a problem. Used this type while in the hospital with no problems on all types of flooring:

31Y0Bn-6KyL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

Folds flat which is easier on everybody. I'm still at the "Using Hands" to balance state but when I get a walker I'll probably go for the one above.

I'm also looking at this one. I can't walk more than a few hundred yards without a rest break. Having a seat to use is very attractive to me. A lot of models fold flat but are bulkier than the one above.

51yPSBnfvXL._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg

I'll may get one of each type. Won't need all the fancy whistles while indoors.

Thank-you!

I greatly appreciate everyone's kindness and support. It's nice to have great bunch of people to turn to.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank-you!

I greatly appreciate everyone's kindness and support. It's nice to have great bunch of people to turn to.

My dad refused to use a walker. Instead, he used two canes to get around. Regardless, he would go to Target or Walmart get a motorized cart and do his shopping. Or simply buzz around looking at stuff.

Have you considered crutches?

With both my hip disaster (pm me for details) and a knee infection, I surprised Physical Therapy by telling them I would do far better on crutches than with a walker. When they finally allowed the crutches, I took off down the hall, and was at the end of the next hall before they caught up with me.\

Of course, with varied and multitude orthopedic issues over my life, I've spent over a year on crutches. But they are so much better than a walker.

Have you considered crutches?

With both my hip disaster (pm me for details) and a knee infection, I surprised Physical Therapy by telling them I would do far better on crutches than with a walker. When they finally allowed the crutches, I took off down the hall, and was at the end of the next hall before they caught up with me.\

Of course, with varied and multitude orthopedic issues over my life, I've spent over a year on crutches. But they are so much better than a walker.

Thanks! But with crutches I wouldn't be able to carry anything.

Edited by Avalon

Actually, it's surprising how much you can carry with crutches.

Admittedly at a younger age, I would walk five (5) stories down, with one leg non weight bearing, to the local grocery. I'd get my weekly stuff, and have them put them in my backpack; then walk back up the five stories (all out doors) and into my apartment.

At home, I taught myself how to carry a plate of food from the kitchen to the table ... again, with a pair of crutches and one leg non-weight bearing. It surprised anyone that I spoke to about it.

Coffee, for instance, really isn't an issue.

You can fight, or you can give in. I have a walker with a basket, and I use it rarely. My latest maladies include a slow-healing ulcer on my left second toe, and a sprained right ankle.

But I persevere.

Actually, it's surprising how much you can carry with crutches.

Admittedly at a younger age, I would walk five (5) stories down, with one leg non weight bearing, to the local grocery. I'd get my weekly stuff, and have them put them in my backpack; then walk back up the five stories (all out doors) and into my apartment.

At home, I taught myself how to carry a plate of food from the kitchen to the table ... again, with a pair of crutches and one leg non-weight bearing. It surprised anyone that I spoke to about it.

Coffee, for instance, really isn't an issue.

You can fight, or you can give in. I have a walker with a basket, and I use it rarely. My latest maladies include a slow-healing ulcer on my left second toe, and a sprained right ankle.

But I persevere.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm sorry for your problems but your story is encouraging. Thank-you for sharing.

The very simple kind in Guy Fawkes illustration is most useful at home, but it is awkward to carry anything, because you need to use both hands to maneuver it. It is not very good outside, where a walker with four wheels and handbrakes is ideal. That can also be maneuvered more easily with one hand. That type usually has a seat as well, because you can't always find a place to rest outside, as you can in your home. The main drawback is that it is fairly heavy and bulky to collapse and transport in the back of a vehicle. We recently bought a luxurious version of the latter with all the bells and whistles for a friend who has Parkinson's, and it has made a huge difference in his mobility in his home and around his small town..

Edited by Charlie

It is sad that you do not recognize the severity of your situation and do so little to help yourself.

You need to call Social Services in your city/town. There are so many benefits you could take advantage of.

You need to set up an interview. You don't need to make any commitments but listen and ask questions.

You should not purchase a walker on your own. A licensed physical therapist should help you decide what make.model is correct you your size and weight and adjust it to fit your needs.

You are probably eligible for home health care and can have someone come in on a daily basis to help you with routine tasks, such as bathing, cooking and cleaning.

(this would also provide you with daily human interaction, so you're not sitting alone pounding on the keyboard.)

They will also assist you in getting to and from a doctors office and other much needed care.

Good luck, the next step is up to you. Make that call!

I’m back to ambulatory but I used a few during my problem.

Unless you’ll be using the walker outside I’d stick with the stand up version, the one without the seat. They go for about $20/30 on Amazon as opposeed to the wheeled versions with a seat that go for about $50/100. Plus until you practice with the brakes on the wheeled version they can get away from you. One with two wheels in front should be ok but you may need a physical therapy pro to fit it to you. That’s important to avoid back pain or other problems. You can put skis or tennis balls on the rear. You can add a basket to carry food for about another $10.

Here’s hoping for your improved mobility.

Actually fitting yourself for a walker is pretty easy. You may need one other person to help but with a standard 2 wheeled walker stand up tall inside the walker and where you put your hands should touch your wrists or close to them. The other person would be helpful to help adjust the height.

Also you can get a tray for the 2 wheeled walker it’s an extra $25/30 typically.

It is sad that you do not recognize the severity of your situation and do so little to help yourself.

You need to call Social Services in your city/town. There are so many benefits you could take advantage of.

You need to set up an interview. You don't need to make any commitments but listen and ask questions.

You should not purchase a walker on your own. A licensed physical therapist should help you decide what make.model is correct you your size and weight and adjust it to fit your needs.

You are probably eligible for home health care and can have someone come in on a daily basis to help you with routine tasks, such as bathing, cooking and cleaning.

(this would also provide you with daily human interaction, so you're not sitting alone pounding on the keyboard.)

They will also assist you in getting to and from a doctors office and other much needed care.

Good luck, the next step is up to you. Make that call!

I know. People have said much the same for months. This thread on walkers is typical of his lack of decisions skills, and lonely life. The lonely life is not his fault.

Edited by WilliamM

• 9 months later...

I know I'm chiming in late, but I always send my patients to physical therapists to determine the optimal mobility assistance device. They are specially trained to determine what's best for each patient, and will also train them optimally.

This topic is 1781 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.