Restaurant recommendation - San Francisco

easygoingpal
This topic is 2046 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Taqueria definitely has a strong following and is highly recommended by lots of people. I only went there once. While I liked it, I didn't love it enough to deal with the fact that it's always super busy. I actually think I prefer La Corneta a block away anyway, and while it's also popular the dining area is much larger so it's much easier to get a seat.

Grilled carne asada and freshly prepared tacos are my favorite... Added to the list, thanks man!

La Taqueria definitely has a strong following and is highly recommended by lots of people. I only went there once. While I liked it, I didn't love it enough to deal with the fact that it's always super busy. I actually think I prefer La Corneta a block away anyway, and while it's also popular the dining area is much larger so it's much easier to get a seat.

I go to La Corneta when the line is too long at La Taqueria. It is also very good.

A friend treated me to dinner in the rooftop dining room at the Marines Memorial Club recently. I really enjoyed it. It transported me back to the mid-60s: A menu with nothing but red meat, baked potato, iceberg wedge with blue cheese dressing, passion fruit cheesecake. Very leisurely service. It felt like an episode from Madmen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_House,_San_Francisco

Embarrassing story. So I'm there with my father and step-mother. My step-mother was a beer drinker, a big beer drinker. The restaurant did not serve beer. My step-mother wanted a beer. She started to cause a scene. But I told her since I was paying for it we were staying. It was my birthday.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get a table, Frances is super yummy!!!! It’s in the Castro. Pricey but really worth it. For Italian, I love Perbacco, especially their short ribs with mash and horseradish sauce; the yellowtail appetizer is also super yum there. Great date night/special dinner place.

For good Southern Indian, I recommend Dosa (either in the Mission or in Fillmore - fancier dig) - totally different than most of the standard Indian fares (which tend to be more Northern or Pakistani fares). If you go to East Bay, I would also suggest Vik’s Chaat which is Indian street food. For Vietnamese food, Tu Lan is OK - used to be better. I think PPQ and Perilla in the Sunset are better but even then not compared to Pho Ao Sen in Oakland or in Albany. And for good burritos and tacos, there are 2 taco trucks that are still pretty good and authentic: one next to Best Buy (Division and Harrison) and one next to 16th St. and Shotwell - it’s where lots of the local folks eat.