Restaurant recommendation - San Francisco

easygoingpal
This topic is 2045 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a place -- Tu Lan in the Tenderloin -- infamous for it's good, relatively inexpensive Vietnamese dishes. I'm not sure it serves pho but it has really good rice dishes and salads.

I think Julia Child loved it.

Neighborhood is not safe at night but ok during the day.

Perhaps I'll visit this restaurant tomorrow before heading back home... Thanks!

If you love Indian food and want to gorge yourself, the admittedly expensive (for a buffett) lunch at Amber India downtown (near the City Center Target) is the best Indian buffet I've had anywhere. This isn't your typical buffet with only a few choices of perhaps last night's leftovers; it's freshly prepared and usually has some dishes that one might not even see at other Indian restaurants, much less at a buffet. (If you don't like the thought of a buffet, you can order off the menu instead.)

If you love Indian food and want to gorge yourself, the admittedly expensive (for a buffett) lunch at Amber India downtown (near the City Center Target) is the best Indian buffet I've had anywhere. This isn't your typical buffet with only a few choices of perhaps last night's leftovers; it's freshly prepared and usually has some dishes that one might not even see at other Indian restaurants, much less at a buffet. (If you don't like the thought of a buffet, you can order off the menu instead.)

I love Indian food/buffet also... Chicken masala, biryani rice, and warm naan bread... The best! I'll check it out tomorrow!

D

Drove by Tu Lan... It's to go only? Hard to find parking and a little dirty area. Some other time... Looking to sit down and enjoy the food/view... Cheers!

They have very small tables. I would recommend dining out. The neighborhood is not great -- homeless people often wander in asking for money. I'd grab to-go, drive to a park or the Moscone Center, and enjoy your meal there.

Tons of places to recommend depending on what you feel like having and your budget:

Tacos at La Taqueria

Small plates at State Bird Provisions

Best dim sum in the US at Dragon Beaux

Excellent Thai at Lers Ros

Malbec and morcilla at Lolinda’s

Sushi omakase at Ju-ni (no tempura, no teriyaki, just you and a sushi chef at a counter)

(Oops just read you’re looking for lunch recs but if you have a free dinner slot, the ones that aren’t open for lunch are great)

I moved away some 13 years ago, so surely things may have changed, but I used to LOVE Ella's in Presidio Heights. I seem to recall it changing hands just as I was moving, so who knows. But everything they served was made on premises except for the jam and ketchup. We did brunch there most weekends, and watching them make the bread as we ate was fun.

Kevin Slater

I

Tons of places to recommend depending on what you feel like having and your budget:

Tacos at La Taqueria

Small plates at State Bird Provisions

Best dim sum in the US at Dragon Beaux

Excellent Thai at Lers Ros

Malbec and morcilla at Lolinda’s

Sushi omakase at Ju-ni (no tempura, no teriyaki, just you and a sushi chef at a counter)

(Oops just read you’re looking for lunch recs but if you have a free dinner slot, the ones that aren’t open for lunch are great)

I'm going to save all these recommendations for future trips to the city... Thank you much!

I moved away some 13 years ago, so surely things may have changed, but I used to LOVE Ella's in Presidio Heights. I seem to recall it changing hands just as I was moving, so who knows. But everything they served was made on premises except for the jam and ketchup. We did brunch there most weekends, and watching them make the bread as we ate was fun.

Kevin Slater

Thank you Kevin...! Almost caught you two weeks ago when I was visiting NY... Perhaps next time...!

If

Hello all, I am in San Francisco for the weekend... Anyone interested in sharing a restaurant recommendation for lunch? I'm pretty open to all kinds of foods. Thanks in advance! Cheers!

If you like seafood there is a cash only place on Polk just above California. Its iconic in imho.

http://swanoysterdepot.us

House of Pancakes. (I think it is the Sunset)

d1f3cc66b302e9aeed6c635e850a542b--small-meals-francisco-dsouza.jpg

Been a few years but this place had delicious savory, crispy, pancakes as well as other selections.

Small and crowded. Not the most shiny place if that's a concern.

937 Taraval St

San Francisco, CA 94116 b/t 19th Ave & 20th Ave

Parkside

The one in Toronto is better, it being an International House of Pancakes.

Kevin Slater

There's a place -- Tu Lan in the Tenderloin -- infamous for it's good, relatively inexpensive Vietnamese dishes. I'm not sure it serves pho but it has really good rice dishes and salads.

I think Julia Child loved it.

Neighborhood is not safe at night but ok during the day.

I haven't been there in years. Didn't know it was still there. A real dive with outstanding food.

La Taqueria definitely has a strong following and is highly recommended by lots of people. I only went there once. While I liked it, I didn't love it enough to deal with the fact that it's always super busy. I actually think I prefer La Corneta a block away anyway, and while it's also popular the dining area is much larger so it's much easier to get a seat.