Anyone Here A Vegan Or A Vegetarian?

Avalon
This topic is 1931 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I eat lots of chicken, some fish, some meat, almost no dairy, lots of vegetables, a little fruit. Carb sources are mostly tubers, legumes and rice. Eat some whole grain bread from time to time, and I have a rare dessert. I eat egg whites but no yolks. Eating this way, my weight manages itself.

What vegetables do you eat most?

Vegan, but not for political reasons rather for health. It was hard to transition, but now I enjoy food much more. I do keep variety in my diet to help maintain protein. When I have something non-vegan it throws off my system. Vegan alternatives can be tasty. Remember it is more than just quinoa.

Does that include clothing also like no leather shoes etc.?

I am a serious meat eater but am considering trying a vegetarian diet for one week as I basically eat meat everyday. I do enjoy cooking but I actually prefer my vegetables simple whether steamed, roasted, etc and just lightly seasoned. I am probably going to plan my vegetarian meal for a week so I can plan out what to cook so that I won't miss meat as much. I so enjoy tofu so there will be a lot of that.

Vegan, but not for political reasons rather for health. It was hard to transition, but now I enjoy food much more. I do keep variety in my diet to help maintain protein. When I have something non-vegan it throws off my system. Vegan alternatives can be tasty. Remember it is more than just quinoa.
Yes! Same for me. Although the transition for me was rather easy as I'd already stopped eating eggs and drinking milk (I'd already been vegetarian for close to 20 years). Cheese was hard, at first, but now I make my own cashew cheese (mmm-mmm).

You don’t have to ask. Vegans would have already told you.
Oh please, not all of us are standing on the barricades. :p

I once was invited to a vegan dinner party and I met one of the most annoying vegans ever. He couldn't talk about anything else but animal rights. :rolleyes: Which can be an interesting topic, but not for the whole night and certainly not when he got super douchebag towards me when I mentioned that vegan for me was not (primarily) for the moral issue.

I tend to stay away from vegan gatherings because the amount of aggression and judgement towards meat eaters hurts and scares me. I don't feel like that is a very effective way of spreading the merits of veganism.

I only mention I'm vegan when I'm asked or when it's a practical necessity (when being invited for lunch or dinner, for instance).

Well, doesn't that sound like #notallmen? I'm joking of course. To be serious for just a moment, it's a common enough occurrence for the joke to ring true.

#notallmen, I had to Google that one. :D

Oh no, you're absolutely right, that's why I referenced my personal experience with one of the barricade jumping vegans and how uncomfortable it makes me feel. I've unfollowed a very good vegan friend of mine on Facebook 'cause he would keep posting things about animal abuse.

BUT I don't judge them for doing that, it works for them (and hopefully makes them happy and gives them purpose) but for me it doesn't work, so I decide to stay out of that discussion.

• 1 month later...
Anyone Here A Vegan?

'Substituting' is not a path to either being a vegetarian or a vegan.

I go back & forth between being veggie & vegan depending on the season or how busy I am in life.

I am not a vegan. . .

Veganism is a mental illness.

Please pass the hummus. :)

Though many people would happily dig into a lovingly home-cooked meal from their parents, one vegan woman in Italy has been fined $1,170 for threatening to stab her mother for making traditional meat sauce in her presence.

Italian newspaper Gazzetta di Modena reported this week that the 48-year-old woman has been ordered by local courts to pay a $520 court fine and $650 to her mother for physically threatening her with a kitchen knife, after the sexagenarian whipped up Bolognese sauce in their newly shared home.

According to The Telegraph, the “newly unemployed” daughter had recently moved back into her mother’s small apartment, where she often cooked in the rezdore tradition of chefs in the Emilia Romagna dialect.

The vegan daughter told court officials that, prior to moving to live with her mother, she had long been avoiding “sensory” and “olfactory contact” with animal products.

Lawyers further told the Gazzetta di Modena that there had been “an escalation of aggressive episodes, always over food,” before things nearly took a turn for the fatal.

Furious with the smell of meat sauce simmering on the stove one day in March 2016, the daughter reportedly grabbed a knife and made a grave threat.

“If you won’t stop on your own then I’ll make you stop. Quit making ragú, or I’ll stab you in the stomach,” the angry daughter said, as per The Telegraph, inciting her mother to press charges.

With the complaint making its way to Modena tribunal court well over two years later, Justice of Peace Nadia Trifilo ultimately ruled in favor of the 69-year-old mother. She smacked the daughter with a $520 court fine and ordered her to pay $650 to her mother as compensation.

The identities of the mother and daughter were not disclosed.

Naturally, the Twitterverse had a whole lot to say about the wild tale.

“The existence of Bolognese sauce is definitely in the top 3 on my list of reasons for why I’m not a vegan,” one said.

“Must need a steak,” another clapped.

“Someone needs some bacon in their life,” another meat lover agreed.

“Had I been the judge, I would have jailed the daughter for attempted murder,” one mused on a more serious note.

• 3 months later...
This topic is 1931 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.