Modern Family to kill of a major character this season

This topic is 2028 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 4 weeks later...

While killing a character off in a comedy is difficult, it is hard to imagine them killing off a child. I cannot recall a comedy killing off a child, usually if the actor is to be dismissed, they send the kid off to camp or college. Or in the case of Happy Days' Chuck, he walks out the door and is barely mentioned again. Not much funny about that.

Killing off a character such as DiDi, Shelley Long, or Phil's dad, allows for some pathos without the drag of the death pulling down the comedy. When they killed off Phil's mom a few years ago, they used it as a subplot for his dad starting to date again at his mother's bequest. Killing off Didi once again would allow some pathos. Killing off Ed O'Neil near the end and having the finale reveal that the show was Ed O'Neil reflecting back on his life, would be possible. They do break the fourth wall frequently in this show and that would also give an explanation for that.

I cannot recall a comedy killing off a child

Not a regular, but I think there have been kids who have died on sitcoms, usually as part of a 'very special' episode, when a sick friend or neighbor passed away. I can only sort of think of one example, however:

After VALERIE killed off the mother, the show became THE HOGAN FAMILY. Oldest son David had 2 best friends, one of whom was named Rich, who was played by Tom Hodges (of STEEL MAGNOLIAS fame).

After Rich hadn't appeared in awhile, there was an episode late in the show's run in which David ran into Rich & found out he had AIDS. He later died.

But he'd been a teen character, so not really a child.

Not a regular, but I think there have been kids who have died on sitcoms, usually as part of a 'very special' episode, when a sick friend or neighbor passed away. I can only sort of think of one example, however:

After VALERIE killed off the mother, the show became THE HOGAN FAMILY. Oldest son David had 2 best friends, one of whom was named Rich, who was played by Tom Hodges (of STEEL MAGNOLIAS fame).

After Rich hadn't appeared in awhile, there was an episode late in the show's run in which David ran into Rich & found out he had AIDS. He later died.

But he'd been a teen character, so not really a child.

I remember that.

While killing a character off in a comedy is difficult, it is hard to imagine them killing off a child. I cannot recall a comedy killing off a child, usually if the actor is to be dismissed, they send the kid off to camp or college. Or in the case of Happy Days' Chuck, he walks out the door and is barely mentioned again. Not much funny about that.

Killing off a character such as DiDi, Shelley Long, or Phil's dad, allows for some pathos without the drag of the death pulling down the comedy. When they killed off Phil's mom a few years ago, they used it as a subplot for his dad starting to date again at his mother's bequest. Killing off Didi once again would allow some pathos. Killing off Ed O'Neil near the end and having the finale reveal that the show was Ed O'Neil reflecting back on his life, would be possible. They do break the fourth wall frequently in this show and that would also give an explanation for that.

At the end of "Parenthood" the grandfather died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenthood_(2010_TV_series)

How about Manny's little brother (I can't recall the kid's name) . I can't stand that little brat.

It’s Joe. They couldn’t do that; it’s Jay’s proof of his manhood.

Perhaps Dylan. He’s been a minor character for awhile.

I hate to say this, but I second Cam. The man just grates. Mitchell could have done SOOOO much better.