David By Michelangelo

Avalon
This topic is 2077 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s one of the few pieces of art that I found even more stunning in person.

I had been to Florence many times....and never made the effort to see it.

I thought it was overrated and a little kitsch to be honest. I was very, very,

wrong. In person it was unexpectedly dramatic and awe-inspiring.

I never read the Wikipedia info. Does it mention the outdoor history?

Placement[edit]

220px-Firenze.David01.JPG

A replica of David now stands outside the Palazzo Vecchio.

On 25 January 1504, when the sculpture was nearing completion, Florentine authorities had to acknowledge there would be little possibility of raising the more than six-ton statue to the roof of the cathedral.[8] They convened a committee of 30 Florentine citizens that comprised many artists, including Leonardo da Vinci and Sandro Botticelli, to decide on an appropriate site for David.[9] While nine different locations for the statue were discussed, the majority of members seem to have been closely split between two sites. One group, led by Giuliano da Sangallo and supported by Leonardo and Piero di Cosimo, among others, believed that, due to the imperfections in the marble, the sculpture should be placed under the roof of the Loggia dei Lanzi on Piazza della Signoria; the other group thought it should stand at the entrance to the Palazzo della Signoria, the city's town hall (now known as Palazzo Vecchio). Another opinion, supported by Botticelli, was that the sculpture should be situated on or near the cathedral. In June 1504, David was installed next to the entrance to the Palazzo Vecchio, replacing Donatello's bronze sculpture of Judith and Holofernes, which embodied a comparable theme of heroic resistance. It took four days to move the statue the half mile from Michelangelo's workshop into the Piazza della Signoria. Later that summer the sling and tree-stump support were gilded, and the figure was given a gilded loin-garland.[10][11]

In 1873, the statue of David was removed from the piazza, to protect it from damage, and displayed in the Accademia Gallery, Florence, where it attracted many visitors. A replica was placed in the Piazza della Signoria in 1910.[12]

In 1991, a mentally disturbed artist named Piero Cannata attacked the statue with a hammer he had concealed beneath his jacket;[13] in the process of damaging the toes of the left foot, he was restrained.[14]

On 12 November 2010, a fiberglass replica[15] of the David was installed on the roofline of Florence Cathedral, for one day only. Photographs of the installation reveal the statue the way the Operai who commissioned the work originally expected it to be seen.

In 2010, a dispute over the ownership of David arose when, based on a legal review of historical documents, the municipality of Florence claimed ownership of the statue in opposition to the Italian Culture Ministry, which disputes the municipality claim.[16][17]

In the mid 1800s, small cracks were noticed on the left leg on David which can possibly be attributed to an uneven sinking of the ground under the massive statue.[18]

I took my high school A.P. Art History students to Europe on several occasions. We usually visited Paris, Florence and Rome. On one trip our school librarian accompanied us. She was a lovely middle aged devout LDS (Mormon). When we were about to leave the Accademia Gallery we couldn't find Judy. I finally located her setting on the bench behind the statue staring up at Davids back side. When she noticed me her only comment was "Damn that's a nice ass". Needless to say I nearly fell over laughing - the comment was so totally unJudy.

I took my high school A.P. Art History students to Europe on several occasions. We usually visited Paris, Florence and Rome. On one trip our school librarian accompanied us. She was a lovely middle aged devout LDS (Mormon). When we were about to leave the Accademia Gallery we couldn't find Judy. I finally located her setting on the bench behind the statue staring up at Davids back side. When she noticed me her only comment was "Damn that's a nice ass". Needless to say I nearly fell over laughing - the comment was so totally unJudy.

ae0f7e91385b9be63d130fb373a408cb.jpg

If all the artwork in the world was to be destroyed and I could save only one piece, there is no question it would be The David. Hairs on end, lump in the throat and swelling of the heart. This is what I experienced the first, second and every time I have been in the presence of this masterwork. The only other piece of artwork that has ever come even close is Frederick Hart's "Ex Nihilo" which graces the tympani over the entrance of the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/cathedral-ex-nihilo-susan-isakson.html

My own personal experience with the David parallels nycmans. Many, many years ago on my first visit to Florence I spent three weeks there. I had decided, prior to my trip, that I would NOT visit the Accademia Gallery as the David was to my way of thinking an artistic cliche. One day near the end of my trip I visited the Ospedale degli Innocenti which houses some wonderful Andrea dell Robbia medallions. On my way back to my hotel I happened to pass the Accademia Gallery and decided to make a quick visit. The statue absolutely blew me over. In my life I have seen only two man made things that brought me to tears: the David and the Taj Mahal.

If all the artwork in the world was to be destroyed and I could save only one piece, there is no question it would be The David. Hairs on end, lump in the throat and swelling of the heart. This is what I experienced the first, second and every time I have been in the presence of this masterwork. The only other piece of artwork that has ever come even close is Frederick Hart's "Ex Nihilo" which graces the tympani over the entrance of the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/cathedral-ex-nihilo-susan-isakson.html

I've seen that.

Good question. What one work of art would a person save? I have to think about it.

I realize that he is no Michelangelo but I do like Canova.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Canova

A replica of Michelangelo's sculpture "David" that formerly graced Forest Lawn cemetery in Cypress was installed in 1989 on the Cal State Fullerton campus--in pieces. The 13 1/2-foot-long marble work, toppled during the October, 1987, earthquake, was not be repaired.

https://www.ocregister.com/2015/04/07/fallen-david-a-marble-miracle-rests-at-cal-state-fullerton/

It’s one of the few pieces of art that I found even more stunning in person.

I had been to Florence many times....and never made the effort to see it.

I thought it was overrated and a little kitsch to be honest. I was very, very,

wrong. In person it was unexpectedly dramatic and awe-inspiring.

Even before I saw it in person I thought David was pretty impressive, but in person it was, as you said, AWE-INSPIRING! I couldn't take my eyes off of him (and it was about more than his muscles and penis). When you see some of these great works of art in person there's this feeling or spirit that reaches out and grabs you. You understand why they are so famous. Seeing one of Van Gogh's Sunflowers in person had that effect on me.

When you see some of these great works of art in person there's this feeling or spirit that reaches out and grabs you. You understand why they are so famous. Seeing one of Van Gogh's Sunflowers in person had that effect on me.

I agree that that sense of reaching out and grabbing is what it feels like. I was in Milan a month ago and went to see Da Vinci's Last Supper and it was exactly like that. As though the work of art had a spirit or presence independent of its materials and greater than any analysis of it. But if that is actually what is happening, surely everyone should be affected more or less in the same way if not equally. The Mona Lisa does not have that effect on me (could be to do with its surroundings) and the Van Gogh Sunflowers seem like mere daubs to me! While in Milan I went with a sculpture enthusiast friend to see the Rondanini Pieta. For me, an intense experience, for him, hardly a flicker.

I agree that that sense of reaching out and grabbing is what it feels like. I was in Milan a month ago and went to see Da Vinci's Last Supper and it was exactly like that. As though the work of art had a spirit or presence independent of its materials and greater than any analysis of it. But if that is actually what is happening, surely everyone should be affected more or less in the same way if not equally. The Mona Lisa does not have that effect on me (could be to do with its surroundings) and the Van Gogh Sunflowers seem like mere daubs to me! While in Milan I went with a sculpture enthusiast friend to see the Rondanini Pieta. For me, an intense experience, for him, hardly a flicker.

Mona Lisa didn't do much for me either.

Not to drag this thread down to the lowest level but when I saw the subject, being the depraved person I am, it made me think of my one and only visit to Florence, about 15 years ago. I recall how shocked I was that so many of the statues of male figures were exceptionally well hung and some, if I am remembering correctly, seemed to have erections or at lest semi-s (I am not as confident about that memory). David was the exception to this. And I was totally not surprised that prudish American tourist books didn't mention this fact.

Not to drag this thread down to the lowest level but when I saw the subject, being the depraved person I am, it made me think of my one and only visit to Florence, about 15 years ago. I recall how shocked I was that so many of the statues of male figures were exceptionally well hung and some, if I am remembering correctly, seemed to have erections or at lest semi-s (I am not as confident about that memory). David was the exception to this. And I was totally not surprised that prudish American tourist books didn't mention this fact.

The main reason why David is so small is because is he scared. Michelangelo intended to represent David right before or during his fight with Goliath. David was probably somewhere between 12 and 15 years old. Imagine how your body would have reacted at that age if you would have had to fight the strongest soldier of an enemy nation, 1 on 1 in a battle to the death. I highly doubt you would be erect or have a semi.

The main reason why David is so small is because is he scared. Michelangelo intended to represent David right before or during his fight with Goliath. David was probably somewhere between 12 and 15 years old.

Yes, the expression on the face as seen from the front is different from what the usual side-on view suggests. But also, if Michelangelo was working within the Greek tradition of sculptural aesthetics, he may have been aware of one tradition which valued a small member as signifying a greater degree of self-control and intellectual attainment.

Michelangelo was 26 when he started work on the statue. He was given a huge block of marble that another sculptor had already made a start on.

That might partly explain why the hands and head of David are drastically out of proportion with the rest of the figure. But an expressive distortion of the limbs, which was not a characteristic of Ancient Greek sculpture, is also likely an innovation. Michelangelo expanded on it throughout his career.