5 UNUSUAL things about living in Czech!

Avalon
This topic is 2102 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I found the guy and his constant moving around quite annoying, @Avalon. And it’s the first time I hear the country being referred to as “Czech”. It is either “Czech Republic” or “Czechia”. Maybe Czech is a British thing.

It took awhile to get into. It could have been condensed into a couple of minutes. And "Czech" was odd.

I think bathing in the evening is more popular than most think. My parents (European) always did, and I, many times, prefer it, and a roommate in college always do. Said he wanted to wash off the day.

When I was young that was the custom to bathe at night before bed. I wanted more time to sleep in the morning.

I think bathing in the evening is more popular than most think. My parents (European) always did, and I, many times, prefer it, and a roommate in college always did. Said he wanted to wash off the day.

In the house I grew up in from the ages of 6 to 18 I usually bathed** or showered at night. We had a 4 bedroom/2 bath house. The front bathroom was the combined guest and children bathroom. It had 2 compartments. The main compartment where the vanity was and a smaller compartment where the toilet and bathtub were. The bathtub was combined with the shower, but I don't think we ever really used the shower in there much. We especially never used the shower from around the time I was 12 when my parents had the bathroom redecorated and had a fancy bath curtain put up that they didn't want to get water spots on.

The other bathroom was en suite in my parents' bedroom. It had a shower stall. So considering that until I was 12 or 13 there were 5 people in the house who had to get ready in the morning-Mom and Dad for work, my brother, sister, and I for school-it was natural for me (and most likely my two siblings although it being 45 or more years ago, I can't remember for sure) to take my shower at night. Mom and Dad probably took theirs in the morning.

By the time I was 18 I was the only "child" still at home. We had moved to a new house with 2-1/2 bathrooms. My bathroom was still the guest bathroom. But by then I had started usually taking morning showers. For one reason, back when I had hair, it was easier to "style" when it had been freshly washed rather than after having been slept on all night.

In defense of evening showers-I will say there is nothing like having just showered in the evening before bedtime and slipping into a bed made up with freshly laundered sheets.

**My recollection of my 1st shower is taking it with my sister who is 5 years older than I am. She stood in front of me because my parents weren't sure how I was going to take having the shower spray on me. I think this is the only memory I have of ever bathing/showering with either of my siblings-I have a brother about 7 years older than I am. Don't ask me why my parents picked my sister rather than my brother for my 1st shower experience except she is much easier to get along with (both then and now:p).

Gman

I found the guy and his constant moving around quite annoying, @Avalon. And it’s the first time I hear the country being referred to as “Czech”. It is either “Czech Republic” or “Czechia”. Maybe Czech is a British thing.

I agree. I find that accent and demeanor annoying. I really don’t care for Britain and don’t understand why so many Americans are so impressed with the various English accents. The only ones I like are the mild ones heard west of London.

I agree. I find that accent and demeanor annoying. I really don’t care for Britain and don’t understand why so many Americans are so impressed with the various English accents. The only ones I like are the mild ones heard west of London.

I like Aussie. It has the intelligent, erudite sound of British without the imposing, pretentious sound. And Brits who've lived in the US for awhile and toned down their accents sound good also.

I like Aussie. It has the intelligent, erudite sound of British without the imposing, pretentious sound. And Brits who've lived in the US for awhile and toned down their accents sound good also.

That's interesting. I hear the Aussie accent as 'coarser' than an educated British accent.

Gman