Q. Athletic Underwear, Sneakers, & Gym Gear

Chad Constantine
This topic is 2086 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

You don't work one-on-one with a coach. They tell you what to do and you do it. A personal trainer spends lots of face time with you, teaching you about fitness and health. If you don't know much about fitness and working out, you should work with a personal trainer until you have learned some of the fine points about the right way to work out. I am already knowledgeable about fitness and bodybuilding so I don't need the intensive assistance that a personal trainer provides. For me, a coach that I like and respect is a good solution.

In a way, the relationship with the coach is actually more important than the relationship with a personal trainer. In order to get the result you're expecting from the coaching, you have to do what your coach says to do- down to the letter. If you can't or won't do that, then the coaching is going to be a waste of time and money. I love this guy because I'm willing to do everything he tells me to do, so I get amazing results.

That is great to hear. I already learned the hard way that at this point I need to see someone because I am not at that stage yet to go it alone. Plus, I do not really know anything about fitness or bodybuilding so always feel like a child wandering around a store. Hopefully, in a couple of years I can attain that level.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is great to hear. I already learned the hard way that at this point I need to see someone because I am not at that stage yet to go it alone. Plus, I do not really know anything about fitness or bodybuilding so always feel like a child wandering around a store. Hopefully, in a couple of years I can attain that level.

I may not even need the coach. But when I think about designing a program for myself, I draw a complete blank. I could design a program for somebody else, but I'm sort of blocked when it comes to applying my knowledge in my own life. I suppose it's sort of lazy, but it really works to hire somebody that you like and respect to tell you what to do when you're not sure yourself what you should do.

I may not even need the coach. But when I think about designing a program for myself, I draw a complete blank. I could design a program for somebody else, but I'm sort of blocked when it comes to applying my knowledge in my own life. I suppose it's sort of lazy, but it really works to hire somebody that you like and respect to tell you what to do when you're not sure yourself what you should do.

Yea because the other way could be a recipe for disaster.

I’d suggest wearing NoBull shoes for lifting. It’s a Boston-based brand for x-fit. They’re great.

I either wear spandex under my shorts or yesterday’s briefs. High quality long cotton t shirts.

:D:D:D When you wrote yesterday's brief I thought they were a foreign brand of underwear. I did not realize you meant the ones your junk has enjoyed filling :D:D:D. What spandex brands do you think are the best? NoBull shoes do they provide your feet with a lot of support? I guess I will have to check Rakuten for some inexpensive good quality shirts.

:D:D:D When you wrote yesterday's brief I thought they were a foreign brand of underwear. I did not realize you meant the ones your junk has enjoyed filling :D:D:D. What spandex brands do you think are the best? NoBull shoes do they provide your feet with a lot of support? I guess I will have to check Rakuten for some inexpensive good quality shirts.

Lol! NoBull shoes provide great support for deadlifting, etc. Under Armour for spandex. Sometimes I just wear Lycra bike shorts.

Lol! NoBull shoes provide great support for deadlifting, etc. Under Armour for spandex. Sometimes I just wear Lycra bike shorts.

:eek: Just lycra bike shorts. I would be to embarrassed to wear those :oops:. I always wanted to know though do they have but pads to make cycling more comfortable? Do you prefer just the shorts or do you wear the full biking outfit?

Edited by Chad Constantine

I’m fascinated by some of the replies to the OP.

I belong to 2 smart gyms where the membership has a large number of fit young gay men. I can assure you that guys pay considerable attention to what they wear to work out, and in the changing rooms they often notice what designer underwear guys have.

Really! What designer underwear have you noticed others wear to the gym? Did they use the more traditional fabric like cotton or athletic fabric like spandex/lycra?

If you haven't already committed and don't know exactly what you want, I realized that I could not afford a one-on-one personal trainer when I was looking around for a gym. I then happened to find a trainer-only gym (i.e., the only people who work out there are ones that use their trainers) has a semi-private choice. You are assigned a trainer and a particular time to train. Basically you pick the time most convenient to you. There are 2 to 4 other people that will be working out with your trainer at the same time. Then every session he (in my case) will tell you to do a specific exercise and obviously show you if you need to be reminded how to do it. He will then move on to the next person who he does the same thing to. By the time you are done doing what he asked you to do he is ready to move you on to the next exercise. Because you pay only for the times you appear to train, many times it is the trainer and only one other person or on occasion you will have him to yourself. So it ends up being personal training. The more you get to know the trainer you can ask basic things about diet or anything else. On your days off (or after you have trained) you can go to work out or do cardio and you do not pay. They have a dietician that you can make an appointment with that will set up a regimen for you but you pay for that. In some sense, you basically what you should and should not be eating but getting a program from a dietician can be very useful. One of the best thing of having a trainer (personal or semi-private) is that it forces you to be there at a particular time. You have a commitment. At least that is the way I felt.

Really! What designer underwear have you noticed others wear to the gym? Did they use the more traditional fabric like cotton or athletic fabric like spandex/lycra?

I’ve often seen guys changing out of jocks and into the usual high-end brands (Armani, Zegna, D&G, Boss). They seem to be cotton mainly but some have a cotton/Lycra mix.

:eek: Just lycra bike shorts. I would be to embarrassed to wear those :oops:. I always wanted to know though do they have but pads to make cycling more comfortable? Do you prefer just the shorts or do you wear the full biking outfit?

I had a pair of cycling shorts. I think they did have butt pads.

If you haven't already committed and don't know exactly what you want, I realized that I could not afford a one-on-one personal trainer when I was looking around for a gym. I then happened to find a trainer-only gym (i.e., the only people who work out there are ones that use their trainers) has a semi-private choice. You are assigned a trainer and a particular time to train. Basically you pick the time most convenient to you. There are 2 to 4 other people that will be working out with your trainer at the same time. Then every session he (in my case) will tell you to do a specific exercise and obviously show you if you need to be reminded how to do it. He will then move on to the next person who he does the same thing to. By the time you are done doing what he asked you to do he is ready to move you on to the next exercise. Because you pay only for the times you appear to train, many times it is the trainer and only one other person or on occasion you will have him to yourself. So it ends up being personal training. The more you get to know the trainer you can ask basic things about diet or anything else. On your days off (or after you have trained) you can go to work out or do cardio and you do not pay. They have a dietician that you can make an appointment with that will set up a regimen for you but you pay for that. In some sense, you basically what you should and should not be eating but getting a program from a dietician can be very useful. One of the best thing of having a trainer (personal or semi-private) is that it forces you to be there at a particular time. You have a commitment. At least that is the way I felt.

I sort of have that going with a trainer that was recommended to me from a member. It was nice not having to pay all the signup fees and I made my home gym a NYSC which so far i have been able to get to more easier with my chaotic working hours. He is planning to take me around wholefoods and every week so far in at least one of our sessions has taught me different things that I didn't know before. However, I knew to draw the line and not ask him to take me shopping for gear lol.

I’ve often seen guys changing out of jocks and into the usual high-end brands (Armani, Zegna, D&G, Boss). They seem to be cotton mainly but some have a cotton/Lycra mix.

:D Were they wearing the slutty jocks or old school jocks:D?

Lucky enough I cant pull off either:D. Now this means in the future I have to spend some extra time at the mall instead of being in n out in 2 minutes.

You must have really liked cycling. Were they just shorts or more like those wrestling attire?

I was doing this killer early morning aerobic training class. Half of the time was devoted to concept II, and the remainder to spin cycling. It lasted 2.5 hours, 4 mornings per week.