After more than 60 years, The Village Voice folds

Cooper
This topic is 2097 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://amp.cnn.com/money/2018/08/31/media/the-village-voice-shuts-down/index.html

(CNNMoney)The Village Voice, the country's first alternative newsweekly which offered New Yorkers local news and classified ads for decades, will cease production and lay off approximately half its staff, the newspaper's owner announced Friday.

"This is a sad day for The Village Voice and for millions of readers. The Voice has been a key element of New York City journalism and is read around the world," owner Peter Barbey said in a statement. "As the first modern alternative newspaper, it literally defined a new genre of publishing."

"Although the Voice will not continue publishing, we are dedicated to ensuring that its legacy will endure to inspire more generations of readers and writers to give even more speed to those same goals," Barbey added. "We have begun working to ensure that the enormous print archive of The Village Voice is made digitally accessible.

Already posted...

The Village Voice is no more

180831-village-voice-shutting-down.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

The storied New York tabloid the Village Voice — already down to just over a dozen employees — is now officially dead, its owner announced Friday, according to Gothamist.com.

Half of the staff will be fired, with the other half hanging on briefly to work on an online archive, owner Peter Barbey told them Friday. The publication has stopped publishing new material.

“I bought The Village Voice to save it,” Barbey told staffers, relaying the bad news by telephone.

“This isn’t how I thought it was going to end up,” he said, blaming “basically, business realities,” according to an audio of the call obtained by Gothamist.

This was my go to newspaper for topics on Gay news & entertainment . Used to always cut out the discount coupon for the Gaiety. Before the internet & sites like Grindr the Classifieds were the way to meet people.

Sad to read that their on-line news will also be closing.

RIP Village Voice.

This was my go to newspaper for topics on Gay news & entertainment . Used to always cut out the discount coupon for the Gaiety. Before the internet & sites like Grindr the Classifieds were the way to meet people.

RIP Village Voice.

Mine too. I felt so young when I would buy it instead of the staid NYT or other establishment papers. It also had a lot of entertainment news you could not get anywhere else. The times are changing but will morph into something else.

RIP Village Voice.

Classified ads were a big revenue source for the paper and helped keep it going

One ad I read in 1967, I can still quote to this day:

"Multiple amputee seeks same for fun and games."

Funny how something like that can stick in your brain.