Posture Correctors

tanman4u
This topic is 2079 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My work has evolved into my doing a lot more sitting at a computer and it's starting to affect my posture (that along with getting old). I try to remember to sit up straight but ultimately I slump back. Same with going to a bar, I usually end up kinda hunched over. I don't have back problems (yet).

I've been thinking about posture correctors and have been looking at several on Amazon but I'm not sure I trust their ratings.

Does anyone here wear one that you can recommend, or have worn one that wasn't worth it?

For me (67) the answer is to regularly do exercises for the core (I'm talking 20min every other day) - not just abs, but exercises that encompass your front, sides, and back. If I don't do them then I start to slump and then back issues arise. I've never used a posture corrector but my feeling is that they are a temporary fix and don't really address the underlying issue of weakening core muscles.

For me (67) the answer is to regularly do exercises for the core (I'm talking 20min every other day) - not just abs, but exercises that encompass your front, sides, and back. If I don't do them then I start to slump and then back issues arise. I've never used a posture corrector but my feeling is that they are a temporary fix and don't really address the underlying issue of weakening core muscles.

Shoulders and upper back are important too. The right position for your shoulders is down and back. People into fitness and bodybuilding call it keeping your shoulders "packed." Keeping your shoulders packed automatically straightens your spine and keeps your chest out.

My sister is 5'11" and I'm 6'. We both walk around as if we had a board down our backs. Our heads are always held high and our shoulders are squared. Why you might ask. The answer is easy our mother was a posture fanatic. She was constantly yelling at one of us to keep our heads up and our shoulders back. Neither my sister nor I have back problems which our doctors attribute to our posture.

In a tour group a few years ago, in which all of the men were seniors, one of the women remarked to me, "I'll bet you're a tennis player." Surprised, I asked her how she knew that. She said, "My husband was a tennis player, and like him, you're the only man in the group who walks upright with your shoulders back." Regular exercise that involves balanced movement will help keep you from becoming round-shouldered.

If you are talking about something you wear, no, they don't work and will probably cause more problems if used for extended periods. At best you might find something you can place in your chair to provide support the chair lacks, and would be transportable. But as you may have gathered from the comments so far, there is no substitute for your own posture.

Here is something that might help: Dear Wirecutter: Do Posture-Correcting Smart Devices Actually Work?

A: Here’s the very short answer: Save your money and teach yourself how to sit up straight.

I just finished 4 weeks of physical therapy 2x a week for a very painful pinched nerve in my neck and shoulders. The therapist said I have good posture but leaned left too much. He worked me with pressure point massage and visual aid exercise..I feel much better and the neck pain is almost gone. Insurance paid for 12 one hour sessions. Ask your Dr for an Rx to therapy.

I was helped by voice training. I never became an able singer, but the posture and breathing benefits I gained more than compensated for it. If you keep a conscious awareness of your slumping, in a relatively short time you will habitually correct your posture. Also, as mentioned above, some exercising with stretching is helpful.

Ditto what @Autumnal said. I’ve just completed several weeks of physical therapy for a neck issue and the series of exercises they put me through were call “posture correctors”. Sounds like @thickornotatall have the same problem

Probably the same problem...It came on gradually to the point it was a problem driving and trying to make left turns. I couldn't quickly scan the traffic while turning. Then it was a problem staying asleep without severe neck pain. I have lots of arthritis and really try to be proactive by stretching and staying loose. The exercise at therapy while quite simple seemed to be the key to alleviating the pain..I'm sitting up straighter, walking with my head up and doing lots of stretching. Good luck to you!

I've been thinking about posture correctors

I'm sitting up straighter, walking with my head up and doing lots of stretching.

I’ve just completed several weeks of physical therapy for a neck issue and the series of exercises they put me through were call “posture correctors”.

Regular exercise that involves balanced movement will help keep you from becoming round-shouldered.

Neither my sister nor I have back problems which our doctors attribute to our posture.

1655980.gif

Lumo Lift is a very small bluetooth device that you wear under your shirt while it provides biofeedback about your posture. It works with an App that proports to gradually guide you to be mindful of holding correct posture. The App suggest exercises that strengthen the associated muscle groups. I love the little (rechargeable) device and have found it to be helpful...

https://g.co/kgs/g8HYtR