Do you buy clothes online or in person?

FreshFluff
This topic is 2121 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shop more and more on line. In fact I'm to the point where I have invested in Amazon Prime. I am very fond of cargo pants which have become harder and harder to find at my local retailers. I like the Wrangler brand and I know how they fit thus they are very easy to order on line. I also order all of my sheets and pillow cases from the Company Store on line. I spend upwards of $100 a month on hardbound books which I do NOT order on line because I want to support my local independent bookstore. Bookstores are rapidly becoming a thing of the past and I wouldn't want to lose Vroman's in Pasadena.

For the last 2 or 3 years almost every time I wanted to buy clothing I could not find what I wanted in a retail store. Where I live, an affluent medium sized California coastal city, we had what used to be a decent array of mainstream and specialty stores. They have been downsizing and closing one by one.

I go in and half the time they don’t have anything even close to what I want, and if they actually do, they have the item but not in my size or not in my color, etc. Happy to order it, of course. But it will take a few days. They’ll call when it arrives. Such frustration. The last thing was a pair of flip flops. Found what I thought I wanted in an REI, size 11, so excited. At last. Tried them on. People in Vietnam, where they were made, must be smaller than we are. No larger size in stock. Defeated again. Back to Amazon. Fifteen minutes looking, found just what I wanted at half the price. It arrived as promised, fit nicely.

The one exception was a good quality sports jacket I needed on a visit to NYC. Found just what I wanted just in time for when it was needed. Where? Fifth Avenue to Vanderbilt, 44th into the 50s, with a dozen or more quality major men’s stores from Brooks Brothers to Men’s Wearhouse and everything in between, and many specialty shops as well. Preppy heaven. But where else in America can you find such a concentration? Certainly not in Southern California.

I’m perfectly well aware what Amazon is doing to retail. I think it is a disaster for our economy. But just try to get what you want when you want it and you will know why. I think American in-person retail needs a huge rethink.

Edited by BgMstr4u

I mostly buy retail. Im trying to support retail, because its so challenged by online services. I feel like we're going to look around one day, and all the retail centers will be ghost-towns, and unemployment will have skyrocketed . I get it, its a changing economy, I'm not anti-tech.... but there arent enough jobs at Amazon to accommodate all the people displaced as retail centers close.

I get angry with friends who go into retail stores, try things on, waste store employees' time, then go home and order online to save a few bucks. I have a buddy who took hours of a local appliance-stores time, then outfitted a new kitchen online. Retailers will tell you that "shop here then buy online" is very common. It's gonna kill the sector.

That said, if I cant find what I want in a local retail store, I buy some clothes online. Amazon, Costco online, etc....ebay only new with tags. Mostly only sellers who take returns with free shipping.

I'd caution, however, that online services are getting savvy about excessive returns ... I had a particularly unique experience trying to return an Amazon item I didnt like.... they were going to deduct return shipping. I used the customer service they-call-me feature, and the rep was able to give me specifics of the policy, and was immediately aware of my purchase activity, volume, how often I returned, etc. Even told me about the 2 pairs of same pants in same order, different waists... they can tell Im "trying on for size." They have a whole profile of me, my Amazon Prime activity, etc. They KNOW my net revenue generated.

As of now, returns are free if something is wrong, but not if you just dont like or decide you dont need... then you pay for return shipping. Its situational by merchandise-type. (I've had some tech and kitchen-item returns assessed return shipping if I didnt put the return-reason as broken or defective.) And generous in definition... e,g. Doesnt fit means something is wrong. I suspect that may become less generous.

I've bought two pairs of Frye boots online and they fit perfectly - most comfortable footwear I have ever worn.

Yes, Frye boots are great. I have 3 pairs, but the Italian made Chelsea boot is a US 11 and the two US-made engineer boots are size 10.5. I try them on in the store to make sure they fit and order additional pairs online.

I buy underwear online from Mack Weldon. The only other clothing I’ll buy on line is directly from denim houses like J Brand, Raleigh Denim and Nordstrom, where I’ve already bought items at a local and very well-curated men’s store and am absolutely sure of the fit. I’ll buy Alden shoes and boots online since with them I know 10.5 will always fit perfectly. Suits, jackets and other apparel are always bought at favorite stores since I’m uber particular about fit.

I agree with others about the negative influence of Amazon on brick and mortar; however, I do buy a ton of non-clothing stuff from them. In the Seattle area, especially Anacortes, there are marvelous used and new bookstores which I support since they’re a treasure.

I buy the basics online - underwear, black socks ... staple items. I know the brands and the sizes I like and that is what I get. Online shopping may seem convenient when it works, but I dread taking packages back to UPS or - worse even - the Post Office.

For clothes that I wear professionally, I still visit the stores. My suits, ties, shoes and dress shirts are always Tom Ford or Gucci. I do dabble with Hermes sometimes. All of these companies have excellent stores in NY where the sales people know me and make my shopping an 'experience'. 'Experiential selling' is a buzz word in the brick and mortar retail industry. It is all about offering seamless, superior service. I wouldn't think of buying a suit online!

I've bought clothes on line exactly once, and that was underwear from an Australian company (no, not that one). I don't reject using on-line in order to protect local businesses if it is the bricks and mortar presence of a big company, they can look after themselves. I have no desire to use the likes of Amazon, but I'd be happy to use smaller on-line retailers. My first on-line purchase even vaguely related to this thread was for sheets. I was in Iraq and totally unhappy with the crappy linen that the US contractor was providing so ordered some linen from LL Bean. 10 years later I'm still receiving emails from them almost daily. I need some new trousers and I'll probably order from them. (They price in AUD now and offer free shipping over a certain purchase amount.)

One constant, in life, is that things evolve and if people or institutions are unwilling to evolve they become obsolete. This is particularly true of the traditional huge brick and mortar retailors. Retailors like Sears, J.C. Penny’s, Macy’s, etc., etc. have, over the last several decades, been terribly mismanaged by their leadership teams. Sears is a particularly good example, at one time; it had small catalogue stores in towns, of all sizes, all across the United States. People would walk into these small stores, order what they wanted and it would be delivered to them at home. Their distributions system was second to none. It was, a system, ready made for the world of internet retail. Did Sears’ management have the foresight to see what was coming, absolutely NOT; they closed all their small catalogue stores, disbanded their distribution system and went strictly to large brick and mortar store. They are now closing many of these obsolete stores and will likely, in the not too distant future, disappear altogether.

There is a wonderful book entitled “Chutes and Ladders: Navigating the Low-Wage Labor Market” by Katherine S Newman in which she discusses the historic importance of retail employment in providing a means for people to climb out of poverty. She bemoans the disappearance of these jobs but also understands and shows how other opportunities are opening up to replace these old, now obsolete, institutions. The one new institution she dwells on is COSTCO. She waxes lyrical on how it assists its employees to obtain high school diplomas, A.A and B.A. degrees and then promotes from within. Although she doesn’t mention Amazon it is also helping to fill in the void with its constantly growing distribution centers all over the country.

Simply stated “Times they are a changing” and we had damn well better get on the train before it leaves the station and leaves us behind. At 77 I don’t like many of the changes I’m seeing around me but I really don’t have a choice so I’d rather evolve than sit home, grow even older, and bemoan what I can’t change. Frankly life goes on and, even at 77, I still want to be on the train.

Edited by Epigonos

I still use local stores in Philadelphia. If I like a particular shirt, can go back the next day and buy several more shirts of the same brand in different colors.

Colors are very important to me, and not always trust colors on line.

Colors are highly important to me too. I rely on reviews ("This is more orange than red") and compare to other items to get a sense of the shade. When all else fails, I just return.

I buy the basics online - underwear, black socks ... staple items. I know the brands and the sizes I like and that is what I get. Online shopping may seem convenient when it works, but I dread taking packages back to UPS or - worse even - the Post Office.

If you order something small, some brands ship in large envelopes that fit in a mailbox. Of course, that only works if they use USPS return labels.

For clothes that I wear professionally, I still visit the stores. My suits, ties, shoes and dress shirts are always Tom Ford or Gucci. I do dabble with Hermes sometimes. All of these companies have excellent stores in NY where the sales people know me and make my shopping an 'experience'. 'Experiential selling' is a buzz word in the brick and mortar retail industry. It is all about offering seamless, superior service. I wouldn't think of buying a suit online!

The problem is that some stuff sells out fast in b&m stores but can still be found online. Or it can’t be found at all.

For example, after some thought, I just bought this piece online. Here is the store locator on the brand’s site.

Screen_Shot_2018-08-11_at_4.54.05_PM.png

I think that you just like having your inseam measured!!!!!

Right. I am inclined to think that my sales people, and the tailors. at Tom Ford and Gucci are entirely familiar with my inseam size ...

For more 'color' on this, there is a blog somewhere about somebody who had bareback sex with male sales professionals at Barney's on Madison Ave. It was hilarious! Just for the record: I do NOT shop at Barney's.

Here is the funny thing. My body proportions are a little off. If I sized a shirt to fit properly across my shoulders, it would usually be too short in the body and the sleeves and if I went up a size, the shoulders would hang off and look off. Usually a "Tall" size would work, if one was available. I wear 3 or 4E shoes, depending on the brand. So this used to mean I pretty much had to buy everything in person, and it worked well enough.

With the consolidation of US retail outlets, it seems like there are fewer SKUs available in stores, and I've moved to buying more and more online and really never been happier with properly fitting clothes. I rely on a few well known brands, so the sizing is consistent. In some instances, online is basically my only option. For example, I haven't seen Wigwam socks in a retail store in 20 years, but they are incredibly high quality and make up the bulk of my sock collection.

Right. I am inclined to think that my sales people, and the tailors. at Tom Ford and Gucci are entirely familiar with my inseam size ...

For more 'color' on this, there is a blog somewhere about somebody who had bareback sex with male sales professionals at Barney's on Madison Ave. It was hilarious! Just for the record: I do NOT shop at Barney's.

My partner got me a gift from Barney's, which came in a small shopping bag. I started using the Barney's bag to carry my lunch. After awile, it started to wear out and I started patching it with duct tape. The Barney's bag patched with duct tape seemed to upset the office staff-they kept asking questions about it. The more questions they asked, the more I enjoyed it. Finally, one of the secretaries said she was going to LA for the weekend and asked if I would like her to bring me a new Barney's bag. I decided the joke had run its course and stopped using the bag.

Guest europeanman

Suits and jackets are made by my old tailor. All the rest I buy online. H&M for underwear and t-shirts. Luca Faloni for sweaters. Suitsupply for shirts and chinos. MrPorter for sneakers and sunglasses.

No I dont like buying clothes online. Sizes and cuts differ from brand to brand. As much as I HATE shopping I would rather get what I need straight away rather than waiting for an item to be delivered, find out it doesnt fit, send it back and wait for the right size to arrive. I will buy everything else online though. I get monthly shipments of seafood from Alaska and ethically raised meats that are both wonderful.

Hugs,

Greg