The 15 most British foods ever

Avalon
This topic is 2100 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cullen skink, scotch eggs and Yorkshire puddings are my favourites on that list. It might not be nutritionally ideal, but I would happily eat only Yorkshire puds smothered in gravy for the rest of my life. Omnomnom.

I grew up on Yorkshire’s made with beef fat and eaten with beef gravy. In the Midwest. Beef just doesn’t taste the same anymore.

My record was 17 at one sitting, but they were small muffin tin sized.

The 15 most British foods ever

Cullen skink, scotch eggs and Yorkshire puddings are my favourites on that list.

I grew up on Yorkshire’s made with beef fat and eaten with beef gravy.

No scones? Chicken tika marsala (developed in England, not India)? No pasty?

not haggis? Seriously some good things there.

The most delectable British thing I've ever seen to eat:

(m=lciuhScOb_c)(mh=J3NCEfyct1R9ZNYo)thumb_401452.jpg naked_sword-aiden_shaw_5_1828_1.jpg

Since I visit the U.K. with some frequency I am familiar with eight of these dishes.

1. Fish and Chips - I love and since it is popular here in the States I am able to eat it rather often.

2. Black Pudding - My father's family was from Slovenia and "Blood Sausage" was quite common there so I grew up on it and love it. I have some in my freezer right now.

3. Steak and Kidney Pies - One of my favorites. There is an English style Pub quite near my home where I can order it as I frequently do.

4. Yorkshire Pudding - Probably my least favorite as I don't find it very interesting.

5. Shepherd's Pie - Another of my favorites. Easy to make and I frequently prepare it during the cooler months for guests.

6. Bread and Butter Pudding - Nothing new here as it is staple comfort food in many places in the U.S.

7. Full English Breakfast - When visiting the U.K. I usually stay in Bed & Breakfasts. The Full English Breakfast is a great way to start the day and additionally make lunch unnecessary.

8. Bubble and Squeak - An acquired taste and I love it.

Edited by Epigonos

No scones? Chicken tika marsala (developed in England, not India)? No pasty? Welsh rarebit?

The creation story I’m aware of for Chicken Tikka Masala has it originating in Glasgow, Scotland, which has a large Indian community.

I’d definitely agree that the Cornish pasty should be included.

The creation story I’m aware of for Chicken Tikka Masala has it originating in Glasgow, Scotland, which has a large Indian community.

That's my understanding, as well. Since this is "British" foods (i.e., from the island) and not "English" foods, it could have easily been included. I mean, they have haggis on their list for some reason.

That's my understanding, as well. Since this is "British" foods (i.e., from the island) and not "English" foods, it could have easily been included. I mean, they have haggis on their list for some reason.

Well, it’s a list of the “most” British, not “most universally loved”, so haggis qualifies. :)

At the Whale and Ale in San Pedro, I've had Shepherd's Pie, Cheese rarebit and sticky toffee pudding. Their menu evolves over time. Funky part of LA. Fun without being overrun by crowds.

It is always good to hear about finds like this one. Thanks for sharing!

My sti

I didn't see Trifle in that list. Love that stuff! :)

My sister-in-law's mother was English and made outstanding trifle. She always served it at Christmas. She made the sponge cake, the custard, the whipped cream and put it all together and let it refrigerate for quite a long time. It had some sort booze in it but I don't remember what.

My sti

My sister-in-law's mother was English and made outstanding trifle. She always served it at Christmas. She made the sponge cake, the custard, the whipped cream and put it all together and let it refrigerate for quite a long time. It had some sort booze in it but I don't remember what.

Probably sherry, if it was traditional. I find a little Kirsch added to the whipped cream significantly improves a trifle.