It's Fair Season!

Avalon
This topic is 2143 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do you go to the county fair or state fair? I don't think I've been to the county fair since I was teenager. I remember taking my nieces to the state fair when I was in my 20s.

I don't live too far from the county fair grounds. During fair season sometimes at night I can hear the cheers and applause if an event, show is going on.

I like the art building, the home arts, the horse races, the commercial building, the singers that are on all day long (one sings mainly Patsy Cline songs), the ag building, the county history museum, the flower building, some other side acts, even like to look at the pigs and cows. I usually miss the headline show at night. Wow....that used to be free...now it's $48/38/33 for Boy George. .. I'm behind the times - never heard of the other acts - looks like mostly country. The fair is usually free for seniors on Columbus Day. Maybe the pig races will be back. I go almost every year.

For the past 3 or 4 years I have been going to the Renaissance Fair in Tuxedo Park. Fun to walk around, visit shops and eat snow cones.

I’ve been thinking about going, but it is pretty tough to get out there if you live in NYC and don’t have a car. Never been to a Renaissance Faire but it looks like a lot of fun!

I grew up in flyover country. We had a huge state fair. I remember the midway included exotic female entertainers as well as what was referred to as freak shows. The frog boy and so forth. But we were a big family and the cost of attending was not easy for my folks, so most years didn't go until I had a job and could pay. Driving by at night one could see the lights of the midway and fireworks after the grandstand show. That was a thrill for a kid.

If we had a county fair in the county in which I grew up, or in the two urban counties (New York and Philadelphia) in which I lived most of my adult life, I was never aware of it. We do have a big and apparently well-attended fair here in Riverside County, but I have never been to it.

I spent my early childhood in a small town in a rural part of New York. We went to the county fair every year. We did everything-rides, side show, crappy food, games, 4-H exhibits, livestock show, all of it. My cousins lived in an even more rural part of the state and they showed their cows every year-sometimes we went to their county fair. They would stay overnight, sleeping in a sleeping bag in the stall with their animals. It was the high point of their year. It took months to get an animal into show condition.

If we had a county fair in the county in which I grew up, or in the two urban counties (New York and Philadelphia) in which I lived most of my adult life, I was never aware of it. We do have a big and apparently well-attended fair here in Riverside County, but I have never been to it.

I grew up in flyover country as well, in the county seat so the county fair was local.

We always enjoyed the general hubbub of the rides, the food, the crowds. The lemon shakeup!

Of course the county fair happens in the dog days of summer so a lot of the male participants are shirtless. The community is also home to a Big 10 universty populated with around 90,000 students. They show up too. Also joyously frolicking shirtless.

It’s worth the price of admission. :p

I grew up in flyover country as well, in the county seat so the county fair was local.

We always enjoyed the general hubbub of the rides, the food, the crowds. The lemon shakeup!

Of course the county fair happens in the dog days of summer so a lot of the male participants are shirtless. The community is also home to a Big 10 universty populated with around 90,000 students. They show up too. Also joyously frolicking shirtless.

It’s worth the price of admission. :p

As a really little kid, I remember being lifted into and out of the rides by the operators - they were always extremely rough-looking young men with tatts who looked like they hadn't showered in awhile- at that tender age I was already attracted to rough trade.

I grew up about .25 miles north of the state fairgrounds in Albuquerque. (Although the entry was clear around the west side, so it was more like a mile walk to get in ...) needless to say, I went a few times ... especially liked the model railroading exhibit.