This topic is 2142 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The aliteration of course, but also “noir” was the word used during the French colonisation of Africa.

“Black” is preferred in young people’s French, it is more neutral than noir (which is what your grandmother would have used, with all the prejudices of her days), plus using an Americanism makes you sound modern, and more “woke”.

The aliteration of course, but also “noir” was the word used during the French colonisation of Africa.

“Black” is preferred in young people’s French, it is more neutral than noir (which is what your grandmother would have used, with all the prejudices of her days), plus using an Americanism makes you sound modern, and more “woke”.

Thanks! I thought the French hated incursions of foreign words. In fact I thought there was a concerted effort to "purify" the language.

Now this is about Quebec not France. I had a friend who was pretty fluent in French. He said that one time while visiting Quebec he was asking info from someone but did not know a particular French word so he used the English one. He said the person then just walked away.

Thanks! I thought the French hated incursions of foreign words. In fact I thought there was a concerted effort to "purify" the language.

Now this is about Quebec not France. I had a friend who was pretty fluent in French. He said that one time while visiting Quebec he was asking info from someone but did not know a particular French word so he used the English one. He said the person then just walked away.

Less true now in Paris where many young people now know English.