How much is your local newspaper?

This topic is 1964 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently noticed the suburban Chicago paper had an offer on Groupon. 15 weeks daily delivery for $15.00 Cheapest I've ever seen for a subscription price. However, didn't order because I was planning some trips this winter, and they don't credit your account when you put in a vacation stop. Little did I know I'd end up canceling 3 different trips for various reasons.

My local paper is relatively cheap, but i’d subscribe even if they were more expensive. There is HUGE value in having local journalists on the courthouse beat or the statehouse beat. If they’re any good, that is. Without subscribers there won’t be any reason to keep them asking awkward questions.

Our local paper is small and relies a lot on syndicated content, but it does still hit my drveway 363 days/year with local coverage.

I also subscribe to the Chicago Trib and WaPo online. (I’ve lived in both cities. Local news there is still of interest.)

I pay $100 annual for Wash. Post digital. I feel a little guilty not subscribing to the LA Times. I may begin.

I do get a copy of the New Yorker and Vanity Fair delivered to the house. Nice to have those to have in hand for casual reading.

Edited by E.T.Bass

After coming back to this thread, I went on Groupon, and now will be getting the local Herald Wed, Thur, Fri, and Sun for 26 weeks for the low price of $15. I've missed the paper each morning, and figure I won't miss Mon, and Tues, as I will probably just be finishing up with the Sunday papers (Trib and Herald). Although, I just noticed the last two Tribs have been thinner. Real Estate and Autos is now combined into one skinny section, the Business section is lighter, and the sale ads have seemed to diminish.

I was recently in Chicago (left today) and was surprised at how the Chicago Tribune has shrunk to almost nothingness.

I should lose that much mass!

More often than not our paper is populated with "hearing aid" pages. On Monday I can hold the paper up to the

light and see through most sections. The front page has stories that belong in the Living Section. The Letters To The Editor is full of conspiracy theorists rants. But I like the Jumble/the crossword and some of the comics. PRICE? $92.00 for 8 weeks

Our local paper, The Desert Sun, is not a great paper, but it does focus on local stories, and does excellent investigative journalism, which has had some serious practical effects on local governments. It costs $67/mo for daily delivery. I would rather read it for my local news than watch the pap on local TV news stations.

In my neighborhood we occasionally get unsolicited free copies of the Sunday (Newark) Star Ledger. They dropped Newark from the name sometime back - for obvious reasons! [cough-Spartacus-cough-cough!!]

Someone told me they do this because they are in such sorry shape they give out free copies to artificially boost their "circulation".

Our local paper, The Desert Sun, is not a great paper, but it does focus on local stories, and does excellent investigative journalism, which has had some serious practical effects on local governments. It costs $67/mo for daily delivery. I would rather read it for my local news than watch the pap on local TV news stations.

$67/month for the Desert Sun??!?!?!??! Our local paper is $17.78/month for home delivery plus full e-access.

You're getting screwed, dude, but I'd probably subscribe too.

In my neighborhood we occasionally get unsolicited free copies of the Sunday (Newark) Star Ledger. They dropped Newark from the name sometime back - for obvious reasons! [cough-Spartacus-cough-cough!!]

Someone told me they do this because they are in such sorry shape they give out free copies to artificially boost their "circulation".

When I was a kid, we used to get the Star Ledger delivered on Sundays, but all I ever read was the comics.

I was thinking the same thing is being done by Crain's Chicago Business (weekly newspaper). I subscribed for years, but decided not to renew quite a while ago.

Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, started getting it in the mail again. Then today, got a letter in the mail today to subscribe, so it could be they sent out the papers as teasers to entice people into subscribing.

How come on the web site is says $28.50 a month? You should ask about a refund!