Do You Buy Bottled Water?

Avalon
This topic is 2153 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I live we recycle plastic, glass, & cardboard.

~Boomer~

In my town there are different colored trash containers for different items. But my apartment shares a dumpster with a small two unit business building. Thus I don't have to recycle. There was a fellow who would go through the dumpster looking for bottles but now I just save them for him. He comes by about once a month.

The taste of the tap water in Phoenix is really bad at this time of year and the Brita filter does not help. So, I buy the 3 gallon dispenser of Arrowhead and recycle it when I am done. The rest of the year I use filtered tap water.

The taste of the tap water in Phoenix is really bad at this time of year and the Brita filter does not help. So, I buy the 3 gallon dispenser of Arrowhead and recycle it when I am done. The rest of the year I use filtered tap water.

Where I live we recycle plastic, glass, & cardboard.

~Boomer~

In my town there are different colored trash containers for different items. But my apartment shares a dumpster with a small two unit business building. Thus I don't have to recycle. There was a fellow who would go through the dumpster looking for bottles but now I just save them for him. He comes by about once a month.

I certainly realize most communities have recycling facilities and I presume many citizens use them.....

but even recycling takes money, staff, and energy to conduct.....my point is that these single-use little plastic bottles of water that many seem to love buying cases of are wasteful.....better (and easy) options include re-filling plastic bottles with filtered water (from the refrigerator filter pitcher) or just filling up a glass with the filter pitcher water......

Sometimes for convenience yes I buy bottled, and I always recycle.

But at home I have a pretty good GE reverse osmosis filter and I bought a dozen colorful refillable bottles from Amazon and keep them filled, rotated, and cold in the fridge. Also I use the filtered water for coffee and all cooking needs.

They're meant for single use ONLY. Reusing them could prove dangerous to your health.

If that's the case then it would most likely be because of chemicals leaching into the water from the bottle. It is most unlikely that a first use would be safe and subsequent use unsafe. These bottles are a great idea to deliver safe water to areas where it is otherwise unavailable but a scourge anywhere else. FWIW, I never buy them but still manage to acquire them (e.g. railways handing them out to passengers having to use a train-replacement bus on a hot day), and I refill them and the occasional soft drink bottle I buy multiple times. I also use Bombay Sapphire bottles for cold water in my fridge.

The water in my city is pretty good - they publish frequent testing reports and the water testing stations are everywhere. Always pass federal and state requirements - I’ve actually studied the reports after Flint, MI came to light. (Q: when is the last time you checked the report for your city??) :)

I do use a Brita pitcher with filter, but that is just my preference, really no need. Keep some bottled water in the fridge but that is for guests only.

Yes I drink bottled water. The tap water in my hood is fine but the tap water at work is just plain nasty. At work I'll get a pitcher full of ice and take water from the espresso machine and fill my water bottle when it gets low and if needed top it off at the gym which is filtered. The water from the espresso machine is triple filtered. I do reuse my bottles but sometimes I forget it at home or work.

Hugs,

Greg

One thing to consider in whether to use bottled water or tap water (if you can justify the environmental issues with bottled water) is that tap water is often fluoridated and the fluoride it provides is important for dental health. When fluoride was added to town water here, rates of child dental decay fell through the floor.