Do you still write checks?

samhexum
This topic is 2124 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I absolutely HATE writing checks thus I do most of my bill pay banking on line. Because I want the control of deciding when to pay a bill I do not do automatic payment. Each month I go on line and pay my bills. I don't even own an old fashioned small check book; mine is a large business type check book which I keep in a desk drawer.

I do end up writing ONE check about every three or four months. I have a Medicare Part D IRMAA monthly charge of $13.00 which amounts to $156.00 a year. It would make sense to pay the charge on a yearly basis but Medicare doesn't permit that -- it MUST be paid monthly. They would prefer that I sign up for automatic payment. I simply refuse to do so thus I allow the account to become three or four months delinquent and then pay with a check. I know it would be easier to comply with there wishes but it makes me happy to do it the way I do.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my recurring bills I pay online but I do write checks from time to time, medical copays, home repairs, etc. I actually like physically writing a check; similar to how I enjoy sending a thank you card or a postcard. Must be I am old fashioned...

I absolutely still write checks, especially for monthly bills. While utilities, credit cards, etc., would be more conveniently paid with automatic payments, I have found far too many errors in the bills that they send to me to want to give them pre-authorization to pull money out of my bank account. I prefer to ask about any strange charges before I pay for them.

What is even more irritating is that they've been waiting in the checkout line for five minutes and then WAIT until they are rung up before they even whip out their checkbook - when they could have already written out most of the check by the time they get to that point! They can always count on me to utter a not-so-quiet "Oh for God's sake" when they pull this time waster.

Or...in my experience, they wait until the order has been rung up, and THEN they BEGIN to open their purse and and start LOOKING for their checkbook!

I gave up carrying cash almost 3 years ago (except for spare change in the car for ancient parking meters). I still use an occasional check for taxes, for tradesmen working in my place and for charities. I use a debit card for everything else.

I gave up carrying cash almost 3 years ago (except for spare change in the car for ancient parking meters). I still use an occasional check for taxes, for tradesmen working in my place and for charities. I use a debit card for everything else.

I'm sure it's common elsewhere, but the once coin-only parking meters in Canberra now take credit/debit cards (some street ones don't), I'm obsessed (not really, but you get the drift) with frequent flyer points, so I use cards whenever I can (triple points at Maccas on my Amex, it's a restaurant apparently), public transport uses smart cards that are far cheaper than using cash, and more convenient, toll roads don't have cash booths, you need an electronic tag in your car (accounts recharged from a credit card). I carry cash but rarely use it, have a cheque book but rarely use it either.

I write only one check to my landlord, and I'm waiting and hoping I'll be able to do that online in the foreseeable future. Written checks display the account number and the bank's routing number. My having sustained two hackings moved me to my bank's electronic payment system.

I agree with sync. I have never understood my husband's rationale that writing a check is "safer" than paying electronically.

Well almost everything else. I’m of an age when I require wheelchair assistance in large airports. I hit the ATM for $20 and change it to fives and ones to tip my assistants.

In days of yore I when writing checks with Quicken, I produced my own checks with the VersaCheck software. Anybody need a supply of VersaCheck blank check stock?

Well almost everything else. I’m of an age when I require wheelchair assistance in large airports. I hit the ATM for $20 and change it to fives and ones to tip my assistants.

In days of yore I when writing checks with Quicken, I produced my own checks with the VersaCheck software. Anybody need a supply of VersaCheck blank check stock?

Haha I was going to say the infinitely few checks I write....I write via Quicken and my trusty HP laser printer! Also I have a large supply of window envelopes for my check stock. That and a hand written check at the Christmas tree lot.