Do You Get Sleepy After Eating?

Avalon
This topic is 2180 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m curious to hear what foreigners think about this and if they experience the same thing. I’m seeing a lot of comments that people get sleepy after a big meal which made me think about portion control. It’s no surprise that meal portions in the US is typically twice (or more) times larger. I live in the US but I’m always conscious about the portion. In fact I always ensure there are fruits and veggies incorporated in that portion. Maybe I don’t feel it as Tarte indicated but I’ve never felt sleepy after eating.

I’m curious to hear what foreigners think about this and if they experience the same thing. I’m seeing a lot of comments that people get sleepy after a big meal which made me think about portion control. It’s no surprise that meal portions in the US is typically twice (or more) times larger. I live in the US but I’m always conscious about the portion. In fact I always ensure there are fruits and veggies incorporated in that portion. Maybe I don’t feel it as Tarte indicated but I’ve never felt sleepy after eating.

It is certainly better if you spread your food intake into 4 smaller portions throughout the day.

When I lived in Italy, I would live like some of the people around me: only an espresso for breakfast (basically no calories) then a nice plate of pasta for lunch (1100 calories, need the siesta hour after that! ) and then dinner very late, after 9 pm sometime 10 or 10:30 (also about 1100 calories, ready for bed!)

Would 4 meals of roughly 500 calories would have been better and not make me so sleepy? Very probably.

It is certainly better if you spread your food intake into 4 smaller portions throughout the day.

When I lived in Italy, I would live like some of the people around me: only an espresso for breakfast (basically no calories) then a nice plate of pasta for lunch (1100 calories, need the siesta hour after that! ) and then dinner very late, after 9 pm sometime 10 or 10:30 (also about 1100 calories, ready for bed!)

Would 4 meals of roughly 500 calories would have been better and not make me so sleepy? Very probably.

Agreed. It was practically the same when I was in Madrid. I also try not to eat in between meals. Usually light breakfast, the heaviest meal at lunch, then light dinner.