When your regular masseur increases rates...

7829V
This topic is 2173 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When your regular masseur increases rates, and you realize that because you visited his ad again... do you pay the higher fee , or do you wait for him to let you know?

You wait for him to let you know. You said he is your "regular masseur", which means you are his "regular client." For a masseur, "regular clients" are their bread and butter. If he wanted to raise your rate, he would have told you. He obviously does not want to raise your rate, since he has said nothing, since you are a regular. Leave it at that, and enjoy your massage sessions, knowing that you give him steady business, which is what any masseur wants = Regular Clients.

Regardless of whether the client may or may not have seen the new rates, it's up to the masseur to disclose any changes in prices. If you go to a spa, prices are posted, but with an independent masseur, it is entirely possible that a client may never see the masseurs ad again after the initial booking. I have several masseurs' phone numbers in my phone and I contact them directly without looking for their ads. If the masseur wants their regular clients to pay the new rate, that's a conversation they need to initiate. A masseur would be stupid to think "Gee, I hope they saw my new rates online." I see a masseur privately who used to work at a spa. I used to pay the spa rate to see him, but now I pay more to see him privately (almost double what I used to pay, actually). I can certainly see the need to charge more going independent, and I choose to pay his new rate. However, if I paid $X to see someone last month and now they want to charge me $20, $50 more and there's no significant change in situation that I'm aware of, I will make the decision if he is worth the extra money. Ideally, he should tell me of the new rate at the time of booking my next appt. If he tells me as I'm paying after the massage is over, that's bad manners.

Raising rates on repeat customers usually isn't a good idea. As stated above, repeat clients are their bread and butter. It's easy money and no hassle. They know what the expectations are with their client; there's no stress about potential law enforcement; there's significantly less risk of no show or last minute cancellations, etc. If they want to test the waters to see if they can get more with new clients, then more power to them. As the client, I have every right to decide if I'm willing to pay the new rate. But thank you for your judgmental comment about being a cheapskate. Very helpful to the conversation!

FACT: You visited his ad. You know his new rate structure.

MY ASSUMPTION ON YOU: Oh boy, I know what his new rate is but I’m not going to tell him that I know about his new rate. I’m going to continue screwing him over until he says something to me. And if he does mention it to me I’m going to tell him I can’t afford his higher rate.

You do what you want but I’d pay his new rate and say something polite when paying him “here’s your fee based on your new fee schedule. Thanks, again, for a great massage. See you next month.”

Where is this coming from? Did the OP do something to offend you?

FACT: You visited his ad. You know his new rate structure.

MY ASSUMPTION ON YOU: Oh boy, I know what his new rate is but I’m not going to tell him that I know about his new rate. I’m going to continue screwing him over until he says something to me. And if he does mention it to me I’m going to tell him I can’t afford his higher rate.

You do what you want but I’d pay his new rate and say something polite when paying him “here’s your fee based on your new fee schedule. Thanks, again, for a great massage. See you next month.”

The new rate might be for new clients. He may not be raising his fee for existing clients. You’re making many assumptions here.

When I see a rate increase with a masseur I see with some kind of regularity I mention when I book the session that I noticed a rate increase. Every single time the response has been that my rate hasn't changed and 2 of them have given me a 10% discount off my original rate for being a repeat client. I would just mention the increase and let them respond.

Instudiocity, you have a great relationship with your masseur, and you seem like the kind of person who knows how to treat people well. BUT -- you should know that many ATMs give $10 bills!

Not in LA. It’s either all $20’s or a combination of $20’s & $50’s.

Duh...You pay his published rate. You sound like a cheapskate to me.

Don’t be rude. He’s coming here for advice, not to be called names. That is what this forum is for. Use this space respectfully- if you are incapable of doing so, then just don’t comment.

I come here for information and sharing stories and experiences, please don’t ruin it for the rest of us.

Anyway!

Lots of good advice here.

Never considered this so appreciate the question.

I do agree that if a rate changes, the masseur should assume responsibility of letting you know. Once I find a masseur and like them, I never go back for their site as they are saved in my phone. Assume it’s your standard rate unless he states otherwise. OR- you can bring it up and it’ll likely not apply to you as a regular.

If it does, then you can decide if it’s within your budget or not to keep hiring him. Chances are the steady clients are the ones he will want to keep and won’t increase rates for. Good luck!

Yeah I would expect your masseur to inform you of any rate changes.

Most of my regulars just text to set up appointments. I just have two that use online booking. So I don't expect most to be aware of any rate changes.

I haven't raised my rates yet, I think when I do I'd keep them the same for regulars.

Someone here just can’t stand it when people don’t agree to his opinion and calling people cheap and all. When there is more and more resistance, he came back and said “I only tried to answer the question from the OP” .... sad ....

Guest fm0322

Like others, I’ve encountered a masseur changing the price for a session. Any provider is responsible to tell the client the price. In my experience the masseur is happy that I’m a dependable regular and the fee never changes. I tip well and the total I pay is more than the rate I’m charged.

As a separate issue, I’m disappointed about the name calling earlier in the thread. This isn’t a political site but simply a place where men like me can pick up tips about masseurs and spas.