When your regular masseur increases rates...

7829V
This topic is 2171 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duh...You pay his published rate. You sound like a cheapskate to me.

I’ve seen this masseur for a few months on a regular basis. He’s lowered his rates and I kept paying the original rate that he quoted me when I first hired him. He’s done specials and I just keep paying the regular rate. But now his rates have gone up from what I feel comfortable paying. But he has never mentioned any these changes to me. Even when he had specials or when he had lower rates. o_O

I have the opposite reaction. I keep paying the rate I've always paid. As a regular customer, I don't feel the need to pay more. We're not talking about inflation and paying rates from 10-20 years ago. If the masseur wants to have the discussion that he needs to charge me more, then fine. I'll decide if I want to keep seeing that provider at the new rate.

FACT: You visited his ad. You know his new rate structure.

MY ASSUMPTION ON YOU: Oh boy, I know what his new rate is but I’m not going to tell him that I know about his new rate. I’m going to continue screwing him over until he says something to me. And if he does mention it to me I’m going to tell him I can’t afford his higher rate.

You do what you want but I’d pay his new rate and say something polite when paying him “here’s your fee based on your new fee schedule. Thanks, again, for a great massage. See you next month.”

FACT: You visited his ad. You know his new rate structure.

MY ASSUMPTION ON YOU: Oh boy, I know what his new rate is but I’m not going to tell him that I know about his new rate. I’m going to continue screwing him over until he says something to me. And if he does mention it to me I’m going to tell him I can’t afford his higher rate.

You do what you want but I’d pay his new rate and say something polite when paying him “here’s your fee based on your new fee schedule. Thanks, again, for a great massage. See you next month.”

Thank you for your point of view and assumptions.

Personally, I’d let him inform me. I’m not regularly purusing the ad for my regular guy nor am I paying close attention to details such as price changes if I do happen to open the ad. If he truly is someone you see on a regular basis, follow his lead not his ad.

Yeah. I don’t usually visit his ad. So not sure when he changed it. Maybe it’ll go down again and I’ll be overpaying a little... I’ll just keep paying his original rate. I’ll follow his lead as you said. Thanks. :)

I have the opposite reaction. I keep paying the rate I've always paid. As a regular customer, I don't feel the need to pay more. We're not talking about inflation and paying rates from 10-20 years ago. If the masseur wants to have the discussion that he needs to charge me more, then fine. I'll decide if I want to keep seeing that provider at the new rate.

Yeah. I assume his testing the market to see how high he can go. That’s why the changes and specials.

My regular masseur has one posted rate and never has "specials." But oftentimes, he will discount a session for me, as a long-time client, without my asking. Sometimes the discount is substantial.

I would always come prepared to pay the masseur's posted rate. But I don't check his ad all the time, so I might not know if he changes it. If I did know of a change, out of respect to him I would bring it up and offer to pay it. I think he would say to just continue paying the former rate but I feel I would owe it to him to be upfront.

If you value your relationship, why not say that you happened to see that he’s raised his rates but that you’re hoping as a long time client that you could keep paying what you’ve been paying. Worst that happens is he says no, which strikes me as unlikely (I assume most masseurs value long time clients over having to develop new business).

I also don’t think there’s any harm in asking any masseur if he’s offering a discount when reaching out. You never know if they’re having a slow day; supply and demand applied. And if you don’t ask, they can’t say yes.

Duh...You pay his published rate. You sound like a cheapskate to me.

Tad harsh. Masseurs are always changing rates up and down. In my own business I have published rates. None of my current customers will ever simply pay me those rates even if they know them, nor would I expect them to. It’s my job to inform them.

Edited by EVdude

I know my regular guys' rates.

I would think they would assume that I had no need to revisit their ads so I would put that burden of price increase informing on them. I wouldn't mind paying an increased base rate as I always have tipped. If it's someone who I have a built up mutual familiarity with, I'm OK with rate increases. I do have a price per hour that I feel is too much for new guys though.

If you've been paying more than required for a while I think you're good. You are likely a reliable booking for him and dependable and I think that's something he probably takes into account if he hadn't told you.

When your regular masseur increases rates, and you realize that because you visited his ad again... do you pay the higher fee , or do you wait for him to let you know?

Let me refresh everyone’s memory. The OP specifically asked what he should do now that he realizes the rate has changed. I stated my opinion as requested by the OP.

I learned a long time ago not to ask a question if I wasn’t ready to hear the answer. I also learned a long time ago to stay out of the kitchen if I couldn’t stand the heat. And believe me....I’ve been in some pretty hot f...g kitchens. This particular kitchen hasn’t even turned on the stove yet.

My regular masseur has one posted rate and never has "specials." But oftentimes, he will discount a session for me, as a long-time client, without my asking. Sometimes the discount is substantial.

I would always come prepared to pay the masseur's posted rate. But I don't check his ad all the time, so I might not know if he changes it. If I did know of a change, out of respect to him I would bring it up and offer to pay it. I think he would say to just continue paying the former rate but I feel I would owe it to him to be upfront.

My regular guy quoted me $100 for an hour, $150 for 90 minutes. For 90 minutes, I give him anything from $150-$160 - since the ATMs don't have $10 bills in them. I gave him two very nice bottles of wine for Christmas and two more on his birthday. He seems happy with the situation.

He also works on me from an hour and twenty minutes up to an hour and fifty minutes, never mentioning he's gone over/under time. He knows I'm usually prepared to pay $150 and that's what he accepts. Once when I attempted to pay him an extra $50 because the previous massage went to 2 hours, he refused to accept the payment.

I treat him with respect bordering on adoration and funny, he treats me the very same way.

Let me refresh everyone’s memory. The OP specifically asked what he should do now that he realizes the rate has changed. I stated my opinion as requested by the OP.

No, you didn’t just state your opinion, you were judging the OP, you wrote “Duh...You pay his published rate. You sound like a cheapskate to me.”

You could have answered “I would pay his published rate in that situation.” and that would have been both useful and appropriate, not judgemental.

Please also note that it is against the rules of the forum to use insults against other members and cheapstake is definitely in that category.