Murphy Brown Revival

This topic is 2177 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was glad when the Will & Grace reboot backed away from major themes based on current politics. Let's hope that this one does the same. I find it hard to look at Candice Bergen's massively worked visage. Fortunately, Jake McDorman has been cast as grown-up Avery Brown.

http://greginhollywood.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Jake-McDorman-got-snapped-shirtless-set-Manhattan-Love-400x666.jpg

I loved Murphy Brown in its original run.

But this is becoming an odd trend. Granted, a number of movies over the years have had remakes - some good, some horrid. But TV seems new to the "revival" game for the most part, and I'm not sure I like the idea of resurrecting and remaking dead sitcoms, especially when the originals are still out there to be seen.

The idea of the spinoff has been popular for years, and it hasn't been uncommon to showcase a star in a new show where they, more or less, get to do the same kind of stuff they did in the last show, often with diminishing returns (Lucille Ball's two pale sequels to I Love Lucy come to mind). Another common idea is the copycat show - from The Honeymooners/The Flintstones/The Jetsons, to the glut of "rural" sitcoms in the 60's, to Bewitched and I Dream Of Jeannie, etc. But the new shtick seems to be to revive/remake the oldies, and I'm just not sure we need that. But ok...:eek:

Just please, don't remake the already-perfect M*A*S*H. (And yes, I know the show itself was inspired by the film.) Or All In The Family, for that matter - even though it would certainly be appropriate in the current zeitgeist...

I was glad when the Will & Grace reboot backed away from major themes based on current politics. Let's hope that this one does the same. I find it hard to look at Candice Bergen's massively worked visage. Fortunately, Jake McDorman has been cast as grown-up Avery Brown.

http://greginhollywood.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Jake-McDorman-got-snapped-shirtless-set-Manhattan-Love-400x666.jpg

HE is pretty

http://www.justjared.com/photo-gallery/3024276/jake-mcdorman-fully-naked-for-shameless-season-four-01/

I loved Murphy Brown in its original run.

But this is becoming an odd trend. Granted, a number of movies over the years have had remakes - some good, some horrid. But TV seems new to the "revival" game for the most part, and I'm not sure I like the idea of resurrecting and remaking dead sitcoms, especially when the originals are still out there to be seen.

HBO has made a new Fahrenheit 451. From the reviews, in a word: It sucks. The original was fairly evil and satanic.

The Bob Newhart Show.

You might have misunderstood the question, lol. What I meant was, in what other sitcom do we get an actual scene taking place on the Murphy Brown set, where a main character (from the sitcom in question) becomes Murphy's secretary? (And if he indeed gets fired as all the others do, which he probably should, we never see it happen?)

Hint - this sitcom featured at least one other cross-reference to Murphy Brown, where we discover that one of the other characters has been writing her own Murphy episode?

You might have misunderstood the question, lol. What I meant was, in what other sitcom do we get an actual scene taking place on the Murphy Brown set, where a main character (from the sitcom in question) becomes Murphy's secretary? (And if he indeed gets fired as all the others do, which he probably should, we never see it happen?)

Hint - this sitcom featured at least one other cross-reference to Murphy Brown, where we discover that one of the other characters has been writing her own Murphy episode?

Kramer

I wonder how they'll deal with Elden's not being there. I doubt they'd kill him off. Maybe he'll be a successful artist painting some other celeb's townhouse for years. :(:oops::(

Well in real life he painted himself into a corner with the murder of his girlfriend, so perhaps they will just have him go to jail. Or perhaps, he will be a disembodied voice only character, ala Mrs. Wolowicz on Big Bang Theory or only a mention ala Norm's wife on Cheers (though on a Thanksgiving episode they did have a vague back to the camera shot of her).

On the evening of March 15, 1999, during an incident at his Hollywood home, Pastorelli's 25-year-old girlfriend, Charemon Jonovich, was killed by a gunshot to the head. During the authorities' investigation that followed, Pastorelli testified that in the midst of an argument between the two of them, she suddenly produced a handgun and killed herself. The incident was investigated as an accident or suicide, and the Los Angeles Coroner's Office declared the cause of death undetermined.

Pastorelli was exonerated of responsibility for Charemon Jonovich's death and received public expressions of sympathy within Hollywood and from the Los Angeles media, but his career went into noticeable decline afterwards.

Pastorelli was found dead at his home in Hollywood Hills on March 8, 2004, from a narcotics overdose. A review of the original evidence of the March 1999 shooting of his girlfriend Charemon Jonovich resulted in her cause of death being reclassified a homicide, and Pastorelli was identified as a prime suspect.