Can You Use Chop Sticks?

Avalon
This topic is 2203 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise it has a special place at thanksgiving but that doesn't make roast poultry (even with an American bird) a uniquely American cuisine.

I can see your point much like Christmas goose and Easter ham.

When my father finished serving in the army, he required us all growing up to use chopsticks anytime we went out and at Chinese food. It was incredibly frustrating, but we all learned and didn't starve. I find the choice to embrace culture ways and practices important an important life lesson for me.

When my father finished serving in the army, he required us all growing up to use chopsticks anytime we went out and at Chinese food. It was incredibly frustrating, but we all learned and didn't starve. I find the choice to embrace culture ways and practices important an important life lesson for me.

But did he teach you the way I understand Asians often eat with holding the bowl up close to your mouth/chin ,or were you using the chopsticks to carry food from a plate lying on a table??

Gman

I can, but learned not to in front of my Korean-American father because according to him I don't do it right and he simply could not refrain from commenting on it. Since I don't have any on hand anymore and I don't eat out, I haven't had occasion to use them recently.

The metal in cutlery and silverware can affect the taste of food, especially more delicate Cantonese dishes. Chopsticks have little to no effect on flavor.

Chopsticks are good to stay in shape, it takes longer to eat, which means you feel full before you finish your plate and have a chance at saying no to seconds!

But terrible for dieting since if you attack the various dishes served with chopsticks you never get a visual clue about how much you’ve eaten.

My partner of several decades is Chinese from Southeast Asia. Before my first visit there to meet his family, he insisted that I learn to use chopsticks so as not to embarrass him. I did. The night before our departure we dined with some of his Chinese colleagues. While they jabbered on in Cantonese, I practiced my chopstick technique on a small dish of Spanish peanuts, the small round ones. I managed to consume them all nary dropping a single one. When I pointed out my feat expecting congratulations all I got was a warning about my diet.

But I can’t number the many times I’ve been out to dinner with my Asian friends only to discover that I, the only Anglo, was the only one st the table using chopsticks. Go figure.

I can deal with perfectionism, my dad is like that in many ways. The "could not refrain from commenting on it" part would drive me nuts, though.

That's part of the perfectionism! He expected me to be able to improve my technique from his cogent commentary, and I'm sitting there thinking "give it up, Dad, this is as good as it gets given the lack of fine motor control I may well have inherited from you."

I mean, he made plumbing repairs without regard for the fact that washers are neither interchangeable nor the same size, yet he was an engineer - a chemical engineer (or as he would put it, a comical engineer), but still - so who is he to complain?

I cannot say exactly how much of his perfectionism and the inability not to comment derived from him being Korean-American, but all I can say is A LOT.

But did he teach you the way I understand Asians often eat with holding the bowl up close to your mouth/chin ,or were you using the chopsticks to carry food from a plate lying on a table??

Gman

He taught us to pick up and eat. He was opposed to what he considered "shoveling" food in our mouths!