Cardio and fat burning.

Deadlift1
This topic is 2245 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As @Rudynate said, opinion is varied. Personally, I do not think that it is necessarily bad...but it is not better than post-prandial (fed) cardio:

The theory makes sense: if your body doesn't have fuel in the form of recently-consumed food, you will tap into your body's fat stores for fuel. However, the scientific literature indicates that:

1. There seems to be some sort of "metabolic adaptation" if you eat and then exercise, your metabolism staying elevated after exercise if you eat before doing cardio.

2. Doing cardio on an empty stomach is likely to increase cortisol levels, a hormone which can make fat loss difficult if levels are too high.

3. Eating before exercising will give you more energy, thus enabling you to burn more calories. They may not all be from fat since you are in a fed state, but trying to target a certain fuel source is very difficult given the complexity of human physiology.

Furthermore, a 2014 study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition divided women into two groups: empty stomach cardio and fed cardio. At the end of the study, women in both groups had lost weight, but there was no difference between the two groups.

Link: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7

Once again, I'm not saying that cardio on an empty stomach is "bad." A LOT of people have lost weight by doing it--it was especially popular during the "Golden Era" of bodybuilding. However, the research seems to show that it doesn't really matter when you do it--and that trying to theorize how hormone levels at different times of the day are going to affect fat oxidation is extremely difficult given the amazing complexity of the human body.

As long as you do your cardio consistently and eat to be in a caloric deficit, it doesn't really matter.

It’s all a lot of theoretical Mumbo Jumbo.

Want to burn fat?....eat less calories that you burn.

Period.

Time of day? Type of calories? High Protein? Good Carbs?

It’s all crap. Do you really believe it matters what time of day

you eat that Jelly Donought?...or when you run 5 miles?

Whatever theoretical impact there might be pales in

comparison to:

Calories out - Calories in = Weight lost.

I’m at the gym 6 days a week - 4 lifting, 2 cardio. I go on an empty stomach every single time. My workout is at the end of my fast so my stomach is as empty as it gets. I do consume a BCAAs before my workout, but at 20 calories, it’s not breaking my fast.

I’ve never been overweight (since puberty - I was a chunky boy) or had a lot of fat to lose, but I can say I’m leaner, stronger, and more defined and have more endurance (on average) since I began intermittent fasting and working out on an empty stomach about 2 years ago. I’m in sniffing range of 40 and have been working out for about 16 years now and can say most of the progress I’ve made towards what I look like today has happened in the past 2 years.

The question was is cardio on an empty stomach better for fat loss. I can’t say for certain but I can point to my own anecdotal evidence above. Really, though, trying to figure out the answer may be a waste of time. What you eat is going to make the biggest difference. I can understand the drive to make the choices that will provide maximal return on effort, but I don’t believe any form of self-care is a bad thing, and whether your tummy is rumbling on the treadmill or not isn’t going to matter at all if you don’t eat properly, drink lots of water, and get adequate rest.

If you’re thinking of doing cardio on an empty stomach, I would recommend getting some of those little energy gel packs and bring an apple. If you start feeling weak or dizzy, stop and sit. Drink water and eat the gel packet and apple. SLOWLY so you don’t puke.

Also, please note that I’m speaking from my own experience and medical education (I’ve mentioned before that my first career was occupational therapy), but I’m not a doctor, and even if I were, I’m not your doctor, so don’t do anything without consulting a doctor.

The question was is cardio on an empty stomach better for fat loss. I can’t say for certain

I don't know if it's better for targeting fat in general, but for me personally, I know that I perform much better if I have not eaten. Just a couple cups of coffee so that I have a caffeine boost.

I do 50 minutes of low impact cardio six days a week. Twenty minutes on the rowing machine and 30 minutes on the elliptical. I know the calories burned on the elliptical machine is not gospel because it only asks you for your age and weight, but they are very consistent across the machines at my gym, so I think they are reasonable for an order of magnitude comparison. I burn significantly higher calories if I do a mid-morning workout with no food. If I've eaten in the last couple hours I feel sluggish and the interval program kicks my butt.

I work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach because it's what works best for my schedule. I have no clue if it helps me burn more calories, but it at least makes me feel like I've gotten a great start to the day (and helps me make better food choices later on, because I don't want to ruin the work I put in boxing by now eating a 3000 calorie meal!)

I’m at the gym 6 days a week - 4 lifting, 2 cardio. I go on an empty stomach every single time. My workout is at the end of my fast so my stomach is as empty as it gets. I do consume a BCAAs before my workout, but at 20 calories, it’s not breaking my fast.

I’ve never been overweight (since puberty - I was a chunky boy) or had a lot of fat to lose, but I can say I’m leaner, stronger, and more defined and have more endurance (on average) since I began intermittent fasting and working out on an empty stomach about 2 years ago. I’m in sniffing range of 40 and have been working out for about 16 years now and can say most of the progress I’ve made towards what I look like today has happened in the past 2 years.

The question was is cardio on an empty stomach better for fat loss. I can’t say for certain but I can point to my own anecdotal evidence above. Really, though, trying to figure out the answer may be a waste of time. What you eat is going to make the biggest difference. I can understand the drive to make the choices that will provide maximal return on effort, but I don’t believe any form of self-care is a bad thing, and whether your tummy is rumbling on the treadmill or not isn’t going to matter at all if you don’t eat properly, drink lots of water, and get adequate rest.

If you’re thinking of doing cardio on an empty stomach, I would recommend getting some of those little energy gel packs and bring an apple. If you start feeling weak or dizzy, stop and sit. Drink water and eat the gel packet and apple. SLOWLY so you don’t puke.

Also, please note that I’m speaking from my own experience and medical education (I’ve mentioned before that my first career was occupational therapy), but I’m not a doctor, and even if I were, I’m not your doctor, so don’t do anything without consulting a doctor.

I too have incorporated the intermittent fasting for 4 years now!

I'm non medicating diabetic. I'm monitoring thru calorie (carb) intake all day thru 4 to six meals. There's no way I could do a meaningful cardio workout in the morning on an empty stomach. I HAVE to have my coffee and a small oatmeal before the gym. Then I do 15 minutes on a recumbent bike not only to awaken the metabolism but to also to loosen up injured knee then another 20+ minutes on a high intensity interval trainer. Then I consider what Starbucks has to offer.

All those fine little tweaks might make the difference between getting to 4% bodyfat instead of 5% bodyfat - which is a big deal for someone getting ready for the contest stage, but not so crucial for the average fitness buff. Average people would find it a challenge to keep their bodyfat at 10%, let alone the low single digits.

You are referring to fasted cardio. I was on a 10 week cut for a bodybuilding contest a few years ago and used that method. I took a fish oil, multi V, and water. During my hour of excercise, I drank amino acids as to not go catabolic. Sometimes I ate a spoon of coconut oil prior to my workout. Fasted cardio is very effective and a great start to your day.

its not perfect...i found an organic whey protein powder that delivers 24g of protein in 110 calories instead of the normal fortress and muscle milk brand with 150. i mix it with sugar free instant pudding and the almond milk. Its for those days that if u eat one more chicken breast you would blow ur brains out

its not perfect...i found an organic whey protein powder that delivers 24g of protein in 110 calories instead of the normal fortress and muscle milk brand with 150. i mix it with sugar free instant pudding and the almond milk. Its for those days that if u eat one more chicken breast you would blow ur brains out

Interesting. I've never tried adding instant pudding. I assume it's for extra flavor and thickness. How much do you add to a typical shaker bottle?