Every Shave With Olive Oil?

Avalon
This topic is 2248 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yuck. I don't have a thick beard, so haven't used shaving cream in years. Just soap and water, and never disposable razors.

I hate shaving. I started when I was in high school. But over the years my testosterone has decreased so I now shave only twice a week. If I wait any longer it's more difficult to cut.

In fact when I see the doctor I get a testosterone shot.

My facial hair like the hair on my head was dark but now gray.

I have a half-brother. The hair on his head is white, on his face is red and on his chest is black. Never saw his pubes. In fact I've not seen him for decades.

Only brand of shaving oil that worksfor me is "Total Shaving Solution Natural Shaving Oil." Shave in the shower. Wash with a scrub. Massage 2 drops in your beard. Shave with a new fusion pro glide razor. Even better if you put a small layer of Pacific Shaving Creme after the oil. Closest shave ever.

I have not shaved with olive oil, but the Kiehl's waterless shaving lotion is quite good. Some days I use a Braun electric razor and Lab Series Electric Shave Solution. Makes for a nice, close shave.

EDIT: After replying to @Pensant it occurred to me that I said "most days" in relation to Lab Series when, in fact, I only use it once of twice a week.

Edited by rvwnsd

The Ancient Greeks, Etruscans, and Romans did not use soap. Julius Caesar had his beard ( and body hair ) plucked by a body slave. This was emulated by other prominent and wealthy Romans. Most Romans made do with a trip to the tonsor

where men had their faces shaved with iron razors with short curved blades. These razors got dull quickly and the result was often bloody. The cuts would be treated with a salve made from spider webs mixed with vinegar and oil. When the Greeks and Romans engaged in vigorous physical activity (wrestling at the gymnasium for example) they would scrape off the dust and sweat with a strigil a curved blade made of bronze or iron before bathing. In Rome, before bathing Romans would have a slave first oil their bodies and then the Slave would use a strigil to scrape off the excess oil and exfoliate the skin.

I have not shaved with olive oil, but the Kiehl's waterless shaving lotion is quite good. Most days I use a Braun electric razor and Lab Series Electric Shave Solution. Makes for a nice, close shave.

I used the Kiehl for a while but reverted back to Nivea. I also use the high end Braun, which works very well. The Braun is supposed to be used before washing on dry skin, but I may try the Lab Series product.

I used the Kiehl for a while but reverted back to Nivea....

I have this thing about artificial scent - hate most of them. Kiehl and Lab Series both have unscented products, which works great for me.

...I also use the high end Braun, which works very well. The Braun is supposed to be used before washing on dry skin, but I may try the Lab Series product.

That's actually why I am loyal to Braun - no face-washing required before shaving. My Braun has the razor cleaning feature, so the pre-shave solution gets washed off the razor every day. I've noticed the latest iteration of the high-end Braun provides a closer shave that previous versions. Hence, I use the pre-shave solution only once or twice a week.

The Ancient Greeks, Etruscans, and Romans did not use soap. Julius Caesar had his beard ( and body hair ) plucked by a body slave. This was emulated by other prominent and wealthy Romans. Most Romans made do with a trip to the tonsor

where men had their faces shaved with iron razors with short curved blades. These razors got dull quickly and the result was often bloody. The cuts would be treated with a salve made from spider webs mixed with vinegar and oil. When the Greeks and Romans engaged in vigorous physical activity (wrestling at the gymnasium for example) they would scrape off the dust and sweat with a strigil a curved blade made of bronze or iron before bathing. In Rome, before bathing Romans would have a slave first oil their bodies and then the Slave would use a strigil to scrape off the excess oil and exfoliate the skin.

I seem to remember Hadrian having his leg hair removed by hot wax?

I seem to remember Hadrian having his leg hair removed by hot wax?

There is evidence of body hair being removed by both waxing and sugaring in the ancient world. Egyptian priests, shaved and waxed to remove all their body hair. The purpose was to eliminate the possible presence of lice and fleas which would be considered impure in the environment of the temple.

Hadrian had very bad skin and his chin was heavily marked with scars. He sported a full beard to hide his skin problems. Romans who had been largely clean shaven (except during periods of mourning) since before the Roman Republic began to wear beards to emulate the Emperor.

There is evidence of body hair being removed by both waxing and sugaring in the ancient world. Egyptian priests, shaved and waxed to remove all their body hair. The purpose was to eliminate the possible presence of lice and fleas which would be considered impure in the environment of the temple.

Hadrian had very bad skin and his chin was heavily marked with scars. He sported a full beard to hide his skin problems. Romans who had been largely clean shaven (except during periods of mourning) since before the Roman Republic began to wear beards to emulate the Emperor.

Thank-you! So that is why Hadrian had a beard; I did not know that about his face. I once knew a guy who had a beard because of pox marks but his beard was scraggly and one could still see the marks.

Regarding a beard as sign of morning I remember reading that Pope Clement VII grew a beard after the Sack of Rome.

ahhhh....yeah....sure.....:rolleyes: