Ever Ridden In A Hot Air Balloon?

Avalon
This topic is 2261 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I went in a ride once with two of my brothers to celebrate one brother's 40th birthday. I enjoyed the trip. It's a nice memory to look back on, and I have some good pictures -- somewhere. I wouldn't bother to do it again.

The guy who took us on the ride seemed to have his act together. As passengers we had to be quick on our feet and help with some of the handling for the take-off. He was a little impatient with me when I snapped a few pictures. The landing seemed a little strange. He determined the length of our ride based on where we drifted. He had to keep an eye out for places to land along our line of travel. With open fields all around us we had to cut our trip short because of buildings along our route that limited our options. We landed in a parking lot. When the basket set down we had to jump out quick, while the pilot tried to keep the thing steady. Right after the three of us bailed he was directing us to help him bring it down, and the wind dumped the basket on its side -- hard. He was prepared for it. I could see how an inexperience passenger could have smacked his or her head on the pavement or broken a hand or arm.

I can see how you could easily get hurt based on dumb luck, or an unskilled pilot. When you take a balloon ride you're putting your life in the hands of someone who may or may not be all that disciplined or smart. We did this at one of those once-a-year fiestas like in the video @marylander1940 posted. Balloon enthusiasts come from all over, and the ones offering rides all register with an organizer. When we walked up to that booth they assigned us to the next available guy on the list -- we did no vetting, and it could have been anyone.

I did it 4 years ago over the African plains in Tanzania and, since the scenery was brilliant, so too was the experience. About to take my other half, because he really wants to ride in one, on a ride Easter weekend here locally in Texas. Not expecting quite the same experience. Bottom line, I believe if you like the scenery, you'll like the ride.

We took a trip in one when we went to Luxor in Egypt. The whole experience was very exciting and felt very safe. I don't know if that last bit would be as true today as the local tourist industry has been starved of money over recent years.