23 Behaviors Of A Gentleman That Every Man Should Adopt

Avalon
This topic is 2272 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gay or straight, all of these "behaviors" are essential to success in life (social, business, everything). I am glad to say that I have always followed these behaviors ever since I was a toddler (I was raised in a proper Victorian/Edwardian household).

But many do not apply to male male encounters.

Actually, if you think about it, they do.

Who walks closest to the curb?

Btw that's a pet peeve of mine when I see an opposite sex couple where the man doesn't walk on the outside. Years back I knew this couple and he usually didn't but I kept reminding / scolding them. So one day when I was driving I saw them out walking and when they saw me he switched positions. ;-)))

Regarding saying please I had always thought if the request was put in the conditional then please was not necessary. "Please hand me the pencil?" but "Would you hand me the pencil?" it wasn't needed.

Yoo hoo, @quoththeraven . :D

Who walks closest to the curb?

Btw that's a pet peeve of mine when I see an opposite sex couple where the man doesn't walk on the outside. Years back I knew this couple and he usually didn't but I kept reminding / scolding them. So one day when I was driving I saw them out walking and when they saw me he switched positions. ;-)))

This gets tricky during a long walk along city blocks because the couple have to keep switching positions.

I was told that in pre-1993 NYC, men started walking on the side away from the curb so as to protect the woman from muggers who lay in wait in the alleys.

Edited by FreshFluff

9. A gentleman gives up his seat.

Yes, on the subway. Yes, on the bus. Yes, in the waiting room at the DMV. It doesn't hurt. It costs you nothing. And if a pregnant woman or elderly lady steps into your subway car, your first instinct should be to immediately stand and offer your seat.

I find myself doing this--for older men (and women), families, pregnant women, and those who just look like they've had a long day.

But many do not apply to male male encounters.

Actually, if you think about it, they do.

And you don't have to think very hard.

Numbers 2 and 8 might be tricky, because the two guys would be jockeying for position. 14 is simple - the gentleman offers to pay. If they both offer, they are both gentlemen. If one doesn't offer, then he doesn't get a next date. If neither offers, we have a match made in, well, I'm not sure where.

Who walks closest to the curb?...

...I was told that in pre-1993 NYC, men started walking on the side away from the curb so as to protect the woman from muggers who lay in wait in the alleys.

I was told the same.

Yoo hoo, @quoththeraven . :D

This gets tricky during a long walk along city blocks because the couple have to keep switching positions.

I was told that in pre-1993 NYC, men started walking on the side away from the curb so as to protect the woman from muggers who lay in wait in the alleys.

Alleys? What alleys? (I've usually been in midtown by myself anyway.)

As someone who took the subway by myself from Grand Central to mid-Bronx at midnight during the mid-70s, I haven't really thought about this. But I am always grateful when someone gives me their seat.

Then the next time the other pays.

Not necessarily. Every situation is different. A friend of mine, who is a multi-millionaire said one day that "We should have dinner." To me that is a casual invitation. I was expecting to split the bill even though dinner was her suggestion. After we arrived at the restaurant she insisted on paying, which she does, more often than not, and I allowed her to do it. I feel under no obligation to automatically reciprocate the next time, nor would she expect me to. We are friends, and neither of us are keeping count.

It was a fun post, and I took it mostly tongue-n-cheek, as was my response to #14, but most of the examples are archaic. There are so many variables, that it would be impossible to establish 'hard and fast' rules...

I don't remember the book's title now, it was back in the 80s. It was about gay couples in San Diego. And there was one former couple. One was financially better off than the other and paid for everything. He broke up because his partner never volunteered to pay for any entertainment when they went out, not even movie tickets.

Alleys? What alleys? (I've usually been in midtown by myself anyway.)

As someone who took the subway by myself from Grand Central to mid-Bronx at midnight during the mid-70s, I haven't really thought about this. But I am always grateful when someone gives me their seat.

Look at who’s taken to traditional gender norms while I was looking the other way. (I kid, of course. ;))

Even if there is a vast discrepancy in financial means, both parties should pay sometimes. The more financially endowed one pays for dinner, the less flush one pays for coffee and bagel. For me anyway, it is not so much how much is spent, just that an effort is made to reciprocate. I have a friend who is not well off and each time we go out I pay for the meal. However, just about each time he does something such as this:

"I was feeling lucky to know you, so I bought you a lottery ticket." Five dollar winner and an all around winner of a friend.