What's to Become of You?

Moondance
This topic is 2257 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A young 26-year old friend was murdered in August. He requested his ashes spread in the Carpathian Mountain in Ukraine where he occasionally walked. His parents can do it but several elderly aunt want to join in also.

I only value correspondence --letters and internet-- and a long message from Mary Martin ("Peter Pan" and "South Pacific" on Broadway) who wrote it when I was standing next to her.

Edited by WilliamM

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... my preference would be no visitaton, closed casket and no religious service.

I agree about the closed casket (if there's to be any visitation at all). To me, an open casket "viewing" is the weirdest of all funeral customs.

As to my "remains," I have long said that I'd prefer cremation, but I might consider green burial. Being a tree in my next life doesn't sound so bad.

I young 26-year old friend was murdered in August. He requested his ashes spread in the Carpathian Mountain in Ukraine where he occasionally walked. His parents can do it but several elderly aunt want to join in also. I only value correspondence ( letters and internet) and a long message from Mary Martin who wrote it when I was standing next to her.

"I only value correspondence..." A truly lovely sentiment with much food for thought, one I don't know I've seen articulated before!

Kipp

is it true that the "open casket" protocol is for the benefit of some relatives and friends who are having trouble accepting/acknowledging the death and this helps to confirm it for them?......

or is there a deeper, religious, or spiritual reason for it?.....

My ashes are to be spread around the globe in places I remember fondly.

My inheritors will travel all expenses paid to some amazing places.

Some easier to reach than others. Sort of like a global treasure hunt.

Sending people I love on journeys they never could or would undertake

on their own.

When it’s all over, they will gather in a small chapel that I love for

a simple celebration and remembrance of a life well lived.

I’m almost jealous I won’t be there for the fun!

When my father died, he was cremated. He didn't want a hole in the ground that the children would go to and say, "There's Dad." We did not have a visitation, and rather than a funeral there was a memorial service at the church. (one prayer, some of his favorite hymns, and his best friend shared some memories of Dad) We then had an Open House at our home.

Like father, like son.

When my father died, he was cremated. He didn't want a hole in the ground that the children would go to and say, "There's Dad." We did not have a visitation, and rather than a funeral there was a memorial service at the church. (one prayer, some of his favorite hymns, and his best friend shared some memories of Dad) We then had an Open House at our home.

Like father, like son.

I like this....

bd77270e-14b8-30c0-ab49-04534d287ac8

I have my friends ashes, God rest his soul, and he wants me to spread them at the base of the Great Pyramid of Giza. I am waiting for Egypt to come out of crisis mode.

Has anyone landed in Cairo and taken the Nile to the Valley of the Kings in the last few years. My concern is safety of course.

Bigvalboy you should be OK. The government is terribly concerned about tourism and has gone to great lengths to stabilize the situation along the entire Nile Valley. Currently the only place to avoid seems to be the northern part of Sinai where there isn't anything worth visiting anyway. Even St. Catherine's Monastery in the middle of Sinai appears safe to visit.

I was required to take gross anatomy in school and I loved it. I loved it so much I assisted in the dead lab during upper extremity block when I was working clinically. It was an impactful class and an incredibly challenging learning opportunity - it was the only “C” I’ve ever gotten for a class. My plan is to donate my body to my alma mater for medical education. Once the semester is over, the bodies are cremated and the cremains are returned to the family.

Once my ashes are back in the hands of my family (whoever that might be), my will instructs that there be a celebration of my life. At the end, I want someone to knock over my urn, spilling my ashes all over someone’s good rug, at which point I want to be vacuumed up.

Bigvalboy you should be OK. The government is terribly concerned about tourism and has gone to great lengths to stabilize the situation along the entire Nile Valley. Currently the only place to avoid seems to be the northern part of Sinai where there isn't anything worth visiting anyway. Even St. Catherine's Monastery in the middle of Sinai appears safe to visit.

Thanks for the information. I might try and go next year. It's a promise I have to keep...

My inheritors will travel all expenses paid to some amazing places.

Some easier to reach than others. Sort of like a global treasure hunt.

Sending people I love on journeys they never could or would undertake

on their own.

My guess is my young friend who wanted his ashes spread in the mountains of Ukraine thought it was a good idea too.

Edited by WilliamM

• 3 weeks later...

I thought of this thread again when I read that the ashes of Stephen Hawking will be interred inside Westminster Abbey, close to the graves of Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin. It's a rare honor (the last burial of a scientist in Westminster Abbey happened nearly 80 years ago, before Hawking was born).

Much as I understand the attitude of those who don't especially care what becomes of their remains -- I'll be dead; it won't matter to me -- I guess I also appreciate the idea of someone (like Hawking) receiving what seems a fitting repose.

Or of a person who does care what becomes of him getting what he wants. And in this regard, kudos to @bigvalboy for his commitment to honoring the last wish of his friend. All the moreso because it's not the easiest wish to honor ...

I have my friend's ashes, God rest his soul, and he wants me to spread them at the base of the Great Pyramid of Giza...

It's a promise I have to keep...

When I read that, right after it was posted, I thought about Tennessee Williams, who did not get his last wish. He often said what he wanted--he even published it in his Memoirs--which was that his remains should be tossed into the sea between Cuba and Key West in the approximate spot where Hart Crane went into the water and died in 1932.

Instead, his brother put him into the ground next to their mother in St. Louis.

I thought of this thread again when I read that the ashes of Stephen Hawking will be interred inside Westminster Abbey, close to the graves of Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin. It's a rare honor (the last burial of a scientist in Westminster Abbey happened nearly 80 years ago, before Hawking was born).

Much as I understand the attitude of those who don't especially care what becomes of their remains -- I'll be dead; it won't matter to me -- I guess I also appreciate the idea of someone (like Hawking) receiving what seems a fitting repose.

Or of a person who does care what becomes of him getting what he wants. And in this regard, kudos to @bigvalboy for his commitment to honoring the last wish of his friend. All the moreso because it's not the easiest wish to honor ...

When I read that, right after it was posted, I thought about Tennessee Williams, who did not get his last wish. He often said what he wanted--he even published it in his Memoirs--which was that his remains should be tossed into the sea between Cuba and Key West in the approximate spot where Hart Crane went into the water and died in 1932.

Instead, his brother put him into the ground next to their mother in St. Louis.

Thank you for the kind words...