Manhattan hotels?

TerryP
This topic is 6749 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi there. I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I am thinking about a trip to NYC in the new year (as soon as the weather starts to warm up - maybe March?). I have never been to New York before and need some advice on a not-too-expensive hotel. I am told there is no such thing as a deal in Manhattan, so I don't want to book a "flea-bag" hotel without realizing it.

As an example, I found a place online called Radio City Apartments (http://www.radiocityapartments.com/index.cfm) and it is only $109 a night and has a kitchenette.

I really need to keep costs under $150 US a night. Any comments?

Try Incentra Village House (212-206-0007). They are very conveniently located just south of gay Chelsea hot spots, most rooms have kitchenettes, and it will cost about $140/night, tax included. They have been there forever (I've been staying there for 20 years) and have a very loyal clientele, so you will need to make reservations weeks in advance.

Unless you have your heart set on a very specific hotel for some reason, I highly recommend using Priceline for Manhattan. You will get a hotel for nearly half the going rate. It does not make any sense to me why someone would get a hotel in any other way (unless, as mentioned in my first sentence, you must stay at one particular hotel).

>Unless you have your heart set on a very specific hotel for

>some reason, I highly recommend using Priceline for Manhattan.

> You will get a hotel for nearly half the going rate. It does

>not make any sense to me why someone would get a hotel in any

>other way (unless, as mentioned in my first sentence, you must

>stay at one particular hotel).

I stayed at the Incentra Village House (mentioned above) this past weekend for three days @ $119 for a single ($169 for a double). I had a large pleasant room with a nice separate kitchen and bathroom looking out at a small garden. I have been staying there for a dozen years.

You want to stay in the main building, if possible, and it is wise to

reserve as far ahead as possible. The hotel is way under priced considering its quality and location (12th Street and 8th Avenue).

Guest LatinoRican

Hotel St. James

109 West 45th Street

New York City

(212)869-7329

(212)221-3600

I stayed there a week in August. Not the Waldorf, but comfortable and clean rooms and bath. It's less than half a block from Broadway and a strategic place to stay if you do not know the city. They do not care if you have guests up to your room. I found it on hotels.com for $129.00 a night and reserved through them. If you do a search on their site, there are pics posted. Good luck!

I'm not really familiar with Priceline. I've heard of it but that's it. I don't think it's commonly used in Canada, but I will read the FAQs and everything and may opt to go that route. I think the trick is to figure out the appropriate amount to bid?

Terry,

I'm not a big fan of Priceline because of the bidding. But, at the top of this page (in the banner section) there is a link to Hooboy's Discount Travel.

I've used that site before and like the idea that I know exactly what I'm getting and how much it will cost. My last trip to NYC I used that link and got a great hotel within a block of Penn Station and right on a subway stop. I loved it.

The only negative thing about the site is that you pre-pay for your room. So, that does limit your flexibility and ability to cancel if your plans change.

-------------

"We need to have more respect for each other. Things have just gone really crazy, out of control. ... We're on a very weird kind of cycle." Stevie Wonder

Try Express Reservations and then call ER to book the hotel by phone -- the discount is not as great, but you do not pay until checkout.

http://www.express-res.com

Also yesterday's NY Times had a story on 10 bargain rate hotels. I have stayed at the QT hotel and like it, but you do have to book far in advance for the $125 a night rate. Great hotel for the price.

I really think that if it is your first trip to NYC it is best to stay in or near Times Square.You can explore the rest of Manhattan fairly easily from there.If I were you,I would try the Times Square Hotel QT (mentioned above).This week's TIME states that it is brand new;rooms start at $120.00;the pool has an underwater soundsystem. (I do assume, though, that the rooms are microsopic)

Another plus to staying in Times Square is that it is really easy to hop on a bus at the airport and go directly to Union Station then to the Port Authority Bus terminal.All Times Square hotels are within walking distance of one or the other of these two stops.

http://www.hotelqt.com/

Their website indicates that their cheapest rooms are $175, but I searched a million different possible dates in January, February, and March, and can't find any openings for any rooms less than $215 US. :(

Considering that with taxes and the exchange rate, that would be well over $250 CAD, not going to work for me.

I am currently looking in to some of the other suggestions though.

Isn't it interesting how we react so very differently. I hate staying in the Times Square area -- it is noisy, dirty, and way too crowded for me. I am very fond of the Beacon Hotel. It is located on the Upper West Side:

Beacon Hotel

2130 Broadway at 75th Street

Telephone: 212-787-1100

Web: http://www.beaconhotel.com

Lincoln Center is walkable and it is one block from the cross down bus and two blocks from the subway. Rooms are large and have a kitchenette. There is a market directly across the street. No problems if you choose to bring guests to your room.

Have a great trip. New York is a wonderful place and one of my two favorite cities in the world (I'm from L.A.) and has to be experienced to be believed.

I agree about Times Square. I recently spent a week at the Marriott Marquis (courtesy of a very generous friend) and I hated dealing with the crowds on the streets. The best thing about it is that it is centrally located for getting around, but I still prefer to stay in a more residential neighborhood. When I lived in New York I hardly ever went near Times Square.

Archived