Swooning over Adam Rippon Figure skater

VictorPowers
This topic is 1520 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, he did good, but not good enough to change my mind on him. Came in 3rd even after the top 2 guys made several mistakes in their own programs...

The guys sucked, the ladies owned the night, especially the Russian goddess <3

Nippon got robbed vis a vis the Russian guy. Despite the American music, the Russian guy was pretty bad. Even Lipinsky/Weir commented on it.

I used to be an avid figure skating fan, but kind of stopped following it from 2003 to 2016 because I got so wrapped up in baseball and tennis. In the interim, who the hell came up with the totally bogus fraud of an event, team figure skating?! How is this even a competition when only three countries in the world can even field a decent team?? Canada, Russia, and the US are the only three countries in the world that have a decent representative in all four disciplines. China has no ladies or ice dance teams. Japan has no ice dance or pairs. Spain has no ladies or pairs. And so on. How can you create an event and award gold, silver, and bronze when only three countries can field a team??

Adam Rippon is blubbering about his great triumph of winning bronze. Dude, there were only three real teams in the competition. You basically came in last, but last in this event means you get the bronze. Gushing about "winning" the bronze is like gushing about winning a participation trophy.

C'mon let's give the boy some credit! He's cute as can be and stood up to Pence!

I'm not really criticizing Rippon, more the event itself. True, I do find his reaction to "winning" a bronze (in an event where only three legit teams competed) a bit much, but I have to remember just how tough figure skaters have it. It's an absurdly expensive sport, and Rippon has suffered through his share of very tough times. I found his story of how he had to steal apples from the gym both amusing yet sad and poignant. After surviving what he's gone through, I really shouldn't rain on Adam's parade.

I will, however, go full bore in my criticism of what is an absolutely absurd event. What is the point of staging an Olympic event with only three competitors?! This "team figure skating" thing has to be the most ridiculous joke in the entire summer and winter Olympics. I decided that I want my own Olympic event, and I get to limit the number of competitors to just three. That way I'm guaranteed at least a bronze!! I expect a full ticker-tape parade.

I will, however, go full bore in my criticism of what is an absolutely absurd event. What is the point of staging an Olympic event with only three competitors?! This "team figure skating" thing has to be the most ridiculous joke in the entire summer and winter Olympics. I decided that I want my own Olympic event, and I get to limit the number of competitors to just three. That way I'm guaranteed at least a bronze!! I expect a full ticker-tape parade.

Other countries may not be as strong as the United States, Canada, and Russia, but I disagree that it's an absurd event. Should we discontinue the marathon? Ethiopia has won 4 gold Medals while Portugal only has 1. Certain countries have their strengths, and the Olympic Games are a place to showcase those strengths with top notch athletes.

Other countries may not be as strong as the United States, Canada, and Russia, but I disagree that it's an absurd event. Should we discontinue the marathon? Ethiopia has won 4 gold Medals while Portugal only has 1. Certain countries have their strengths, and the Olympic Games are a place to showcase those strengths with top notch athletes.

Italy almost beat the USA this time, if it wasn't for an unfortunate fall ... France is also strong. Surprisingly this time Britain isn't so much, though often they are. As you say this comes up with other sports, in curling it's Canada, Norway and Sweden dominating

It's not that other countries aren't "as strong" as Canada, Russia, and the US. They literally don't have teams! Javier Fernandez is a two-time world champion and a six-time European champion, plus Spain has two pretty decent ice dancing pairs. But because Spain doesn't have a single competitor in either the ladies or the pairs, they couldn't even compete in the team figure skating event. China has no ladies or ice dancing pairs. Japan did manage to field a team, or at least vague semblance of one, but because they have no serious ice dancing or pairs teams, they finished a country mile behind the Big Three. There were only three countries with legit teams in the entire team figure skating event. How the hell does an event with only three competitors become an Olympic sport?

Marathoners, on the other hand, come from all over the world. 30 different countries have won medals in the men's marathon. The women's marathon became an event only in 1984, but 14 different countries have won medals. In Rio, 155 runners competed in the men's marathon, representing dozens of countries. 52 runners finished within 10 minutes of the gold medalist. If you won a medal in the Rio Olympic marathon, you beat out a helluva lot of strong runners, who came from all over the globe. If you make the podium in team figure skating, all it means is that you are from one of the three countries who could field a team. Winning a medal in team figure skating is the Olympic equivalent to a participation trophy.

C'mon let's give the boy some credit! He's cute as can be and stood up to Pence!

I judge Olympians based on their athletic prowess. I don't look to them to make political statements. You're there to compete... Now compete.

His stance on Pence and his looks mean next to nothing to me.

I’m so happy for Adam that’s he’s fianlly living up to his potential. The reality is, unfortunately, that he has little chance of even making it to the podium unless he gets a quad in his repertoire. As you witnessed a couple of days ago, two failed quads will still earn you more points than a perfect program without a quad. In a way, I’m happy that he won a bronze in the team event so he has a medal to show for all his hard work. Hanyu is back, Uno, Chen, the youngest American Zhou, Jin, Fernandez, and them some have loaded jumps that can surpass Adam’s technical scores anytime. They all have to have a disastrous program for Adam to make it to the podium.

I’m so happy for Adam that’s he’s fianlly living up to his potential. The reality is, unfortunately, that he has little chance of even making it to the podium unless he gets a quad in his repertoire. As you witnessed a couple of days ago, two failed quads will still earn you more points than a perfect program without a quad. In a way, I’m happy that he won a bronze in the team event so he has a medal to show for all his hard work. Hanyu is back, Uno, Chen, the youngest American Zhou, Jin, Fernandez, and them some have loaded jumps that can surpass Adam’s technical scores anytime. They all have to have a disastrous program for Adam to make it to the podium.

Remember back to your schoolboy days, when teachers gave partial credit on essay tests? Well, that's kind of how it works in skating. Prior to 2010, the point value for a successful quad wasn't that high whereas the penalty for falling on a quad attempt was quite severe. Because of the controversy of quad-less Lysacek's victory over two-quad Plushenko, the point values for quads were increased, and even botched quads (under-rotations, step-outs, two-foot landings, and falls) were given "partial credit." The scoring change sparked the quad boom that we're seeing today. Those in favor of the scoring change argue that the "partial credit" point values have allowed the sport to evolve. Opponents argue that they place too much value on quads at the expense of everything else. I think a compromise needs to be worked out because the old system discouraged anyone from even attempting quad jumps while the new system encourages the splat-fests you see at too many competitions. The ISU will re-evaluate the point values at the end of this season.

Besides the controversies of the scoring system, skating is very much a reputation sport. The skaters with strong results, like defending gold medalist and world champion Yuzuru Hanyu, get propped up in the judges' scores whereas skaters without the stellar resumes, like Adam Rippon, must fight an uphill battle. The new scoring system (point values vs. the old 6.0 system) was supposed to eliminate "reputation scoring," but nothing changed really. Frankly, even without the handicap of reputation scoring, Adam has almost no chance because his level of technical difficulty is so far below the Big Six, the six skaters considered the top contenders for a spot on the podium.

I'm hoping that Adam scores a moral victory by finally landing a clean quad lutz in the free skate because he's never landed one in competition.

Remember back to your schoolboy days, when teachers gave partial credit on essay tests? Well, that's kind of how it works in skating. Prior to 2010, the point value for a successful quad wasn't that high whereas the penalty for falling on a quad attempt was quite severe. Because of the controversy of quad-less Lysacek's victory over two-quad Plushenko, the point values for quads were increased, and even botched quads (under-rotations, step-outs, two-foot landings, and falls) were given "partial credit." The scoring change sparked the quad boom that we're seeing today. Those in favor of the scoring change argue that the "partial credit" point values have allowed the sport to evolve. Opponents argue that they place too much value on quads at the expense of everything else. I think a compromise needs to be worked out because the old system discouraged anyone from even attempting quad jumps while the new system encourages the splat-fests you see at too many competitions. The ISU will re-evaluate the point values at the end of this season.

Besides the controversies of the scoring system, skating is very much a reputation sport. The skaters with strong results, like defending gold medalist and world champion Yuzuru Hanyu, get propped up in the judges' scores whereas skaters without the stellar resumes, like Adam Rippon, must fight an uphill battle. The new scoring system (point values vs. the old 6.0 system) was supposed to eliminate "reputation scoring," but nothing changed really. Frankly, even without the handicap of reputation scoring, Adam has almost no chance because his level of technical difficulty is so far below the Big Six, the six skaters considered the top contenders for a spot on the podium.

I'm hoping that Adam scores a moral victory by finally landing a clean quad lutz in the free skate because he's never landed one in competition.

I agree that nothing’s changed. The program component is still as subjective as before. Lesser known skaters will not get as much points in the grde of execution as opposed to someone well known. They can evaluate it all they want but there’s really no way of seeing who’s better than the other unless it becomes mandatory that they do similar programs - same music, same footwork and in-between moves, same number of jumps, and they make it mandatory that half of the jumps be done in the first half of the program. In the team event, the Russian girl wasn’t really that good of a skater. She earned a lot of points by doing all her jumps after the halfway mark to earn the 10% bonus.

I agree with the comment about not being attracted to femininity. Adam Rippon does zero for me. Gus Kenworthy doesn't do much for me because he comes off as fem to me too and he has completely ruined his body with all of those hideous tattoos.

Now let's talk about Chris Mazdzer, the silver medalist in Men's Single Luge - HOT HOT HOT. Let's hope he's a member of the 4-H club - he's hot, handsome and hairy - let's hope he has the 4th H - Hung:

chriz-mazdzer-hot-shirtless-pictures-instagram-winter-olympics-2018-luge.jpg

Shame he's got a girlfriend - she's a lucky woman to have that hunk to herself - handsome, built and hairy - woof.

On the subject of the USA Luge Team - I don't know what it is about this team, but also Tucker West - double woof:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/02/05/21/48E8251200000578-5354801-image-a-118_1517867791057.jpg

I wouldn't mind doing either of these "sled hotties" - or better yet both of them together.

I used to be an avid figure skating fan, but kind of stopped following it from 2003 to 2016 because I got so wrapped up in baseball and tennis. In the interim, who the hell came up with the totally bogus fraud of an event, team figure skating?! How is this even a competition when only three countries in the world can even field a decent team?? Canada, Russia, and the US are the only three countries in the world that have a decent representative in all four disciplines. China has no ladies or ice dance teams. Japan has no ice dance or pairs. Spain has no ladies or pairs. And so on. How can you create an event and award gold, silver, and bronze when only three countries can field a team??

Adam Rippon is blubbering about his great triumph of winning bronze. Dude, there were only three real teams in the competition. You basically came in last, but last in this event means you get the bronze. Gushing about "winning" the bronze is like gushing about winning a participation trophy.

The team event in figure skating was added for TV ratings only, there's no real purpose to it other than making advertisers happy. I view it as a talent exhibition right before the real competition begins in the individual events.

Now that its a team medal by next Olympics all those countries will have top notch skaters. Don't know why some guys on here have to be constantly argumentative. It's tedious.

Here's your favorite constantly argumentative board member, back again :D

World-class singles skaters, ice dance pairs, or pairs teams don't just spring up overnight. Skating is an incredibly expensive sport, with very little financial reward. This hostile financial reality makes it extremely difficult to develop top skaters, which means it will always be difficult for nations to field a legitimate team, i.e., a team with decent representatives in all four disciplines.