What Are Your NYE Plans - Who are You Having for Dinner?

Bearofdistinction
This topic is 2342 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For those who don't like or don't have any interest in New Years Eve, I can understand that, however for myself, I love NYE. It has nothing to do with expectations of a celebration that everyone else is doing, it is a genuine celebration for myself, that I made it through the year. As I've gotten older, I tend to appreciate the time I have left, the days that are given to me, the friends and family that are still around. It's a time where I can, for a brief moment, look back and be thankful for a life well lived. Even now as sign off this thread and get ready for the evenings festivities, I look out the window, and still can't believe sometimes that I live here. I am blessed beyond measure, and count each day as a blessing.

To all my forum friends...God bless you all, and I wish each and everyone one of you a wonderful new year. Cheers...

Edited by bigvalboy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may sound weird but this year I’m celebrating NYE at my parents. Dinner will be slow roasted pork shoulder, Apple Jicama salad and vegetable fried rice after we watch the ball drop at midnight. At my age I feel lucky I still have them with me :)

Happy New Year to you all. Wishing you a wonderful 2018!

I went out with friends and another single gentleman came along. I met him a few weeks ago at a Christmas party and was quite smitten. He is my age and divorced with 2 kids. His daughter was with him at the Christmas party and we talked about traveling and all the places she should see while she is young. When I saw him tonight he said his daughter has apparently taken to calling me her other daddy and we joked about who should be paying for her travels. He is in his 50's, balding, grey hair, thin, with a quick wit and a killer smile. I could spend all night with him engaged in the most debaucherous carnal pleasures. I kind of put him out of my ind until I saw him again tonight am not sure if/when I might see him again. Sigh

I went out with friends and another single gentleman came along. I met him a few weeks ago at a Christmas party and was quite smitten. He is my age and divorced with 2 kids. His daughter was with him at the Christmas party and we talked about traveling and all the places she should see while she is young. When I saw him tonight he said his daughter has apparently taken to calling me her other daddy and we joked about who should be paying for her travels. He is in his 50's, balding, grey hair, thin, with a quick wit and a killer smile. I could spend all night with him engaged in the most debaucherous carnal pleasures. I kind of put him out of my ind until I saw him again tonight am not sure if/when I might see him again. Sigh

If I may be so bold, grab the fucking bull by the proverbial horn. Call the man!

There's a dinner that's been on NYE every year for about 40+ years. A bunch of MIT grads, mostly electrical engineers (plus me, a chemist/physician), plus an English teacher.

Needless to say, the conversation is both incredibly nerdly and incredibly recherche.

Caviar and pate with champagne for appetizers.

Seafood soup.

Roast haunch of some beast, veggies, starch.

Bourbon balls and berry pie.

At least once, we didn't even notice it was the New Year.

A group of booze-loving New Zealanders built their own island — just so they could legally get drunk in public on New Year’s Eve, reports said.

The crafty bunch constructed a sand island in coastal waters at low tide in the Tairua estuary on the northeastern edge of the Pacific country in response to a ban on public drinking in effect over the New Year period in the Coromandel Peninsula, the BBC reported.

They installed a picnic table and icebox for drinks, claiming to be in “international waters” and thus exempt from any local booze bans, the outlet said.

The group could’ve faced a $180 fine or an arrest for public drinking, but they were able to party into the night without any trouble, watching the fireworks from their small island, which was still intact Monday morning.

Luckily, cops appreciated the ingenious idea and didn’t bother the group during their party.

“That’s creative thinking — if I had known [about it], I probably would have joined them,” local police commander Inspector John Kelly said of the sand island.

There are probably no laws against cannibalism in international waters, so Bearofdistinction could've had whoever he wanted for dinner.

There's a dinner that's been on NYE every year for about 40+ years. A bunch of MIT grads, mostly electrical engineers (plus me, a chemist/physician), plus an English teacher.

Needless to say, the conversation is both incredibly nerdly and incredibly recherche.

I thought I was doing well knowing fortuitous (it does have 4 syllables after all) and defenestrate (another one with 4 syllables). But you lost me at recherché. I think I had looked it up once or twice before. But being in my dotage, it didn’t adhere.

How the mighty have fallen. I remember in my senior honor’s English class in high school when I was the only one who knew (aside from the teacher, of course) that the word distaff referred to female-related things. I can’t remember now if I knew that it originally was a staff used in spinning wool into thread-i.e. women’s work.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

The crafty bunch constructed a sand island in coastal waters at low tide in the Tairua estuary on the northeastern edge of the Pacific country in response to a ban on public drinking in effect over the New Year period in the Coromandel Peninsula, the BBC reported.

I have sailed in Northwest edge of the northern island of New Zealand. It's typhoon season in Australia and New Zealand.

The last time I was in Australia (1998), several lives and boats were lost near Hobart, Tasmania.

I have sailed in Northwest edge of the northern island of New Zealand. It's typhoon season in Australia and New Zealand.

The last time I was in Australia (1998), several lives and boats were lost near Hobart, Tasmania.

Tropical storms are called cyclones here, and yes, it is the season. New Zealand occasionally cops the tail end of a cyclone but rarely are they still cyclones when they get there. The storm that caused the deaths when it hit the Sydney to Hobart yacht race off the south coast of NSW was associated with a cold front, it was not a cyclone. Just as deadly, though. Cyclone Debbie last year was the most severe cyclone to hit the tropical Queensland coast for some years, and caused significant damage on landfall, but the greater damage was when it became a rain depression and dumped huge amounts of rain on SE Queensland and northern NSW.